Best SMS app?

heatherrunkel

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Use google voice! All texts are free and you'll never have to change your phone number again. It's reliable and is constantly being udated and perfected by Google. My family has been using it for a few years now and it's really cut down the costs of texts. It's somehow not known by a lot of Android users. I've had go sms, handcent, etc and this is by far the best.

Sent from my Galaxy S III

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Use google voice! All texts are free and you'll never have to change your phone number again. It's reliable and is constantly being udated and perfected by Google. My family has been using it for a few years now and it's really cut down the costs of texts. It's somehow not known by a lot of Android users. I've had go sms, handcent, etc and this is by far the best.

ive heard of it but never played with it mate. take it it doesnt work cross-platform? does it work outside the US?
most people i know who dont use android have a blackberry and most of them have heard of and use WhatsApp or Viber. most of us have unlimited sms though so thats what i tend to use out of habit :)

is Voice customisable? (my eyes are bad and even worse when i drink so i have huge clear font on Go Sms lol)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Yes it could. It could end up being very embarrassing.

Another couple questions. Does anyone know what my texts are?

i had an old nokia that had a habit of texting the exact opposite girl from what i wanted it to lol :)
ive left my playing days behind but i wouldnt like my mum to get a txt meant for my fiance :)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone notice battery drain from handcent? It's showing a 6% battery usage in battery info and my stock messaging app never showed up there.

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site

I use Google Voice but only some of the time. It's too confusing to give out multiple phone numbers to people as far as I'm concerned.

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
There's a similar thread, although perhaps more Verizon specific, and may have some helpful info. I'm leaning back toward the stock application because it supports copy/paste. Likely the other third party apps noted in this thread do as well, but like others I just want a simple interface.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-galaxy-s-iii/208956-group-text-messaging.html

Thank you. The one thing keeping me from using the stock app is poor execution of group messaging. It doesn't show you which member of the conversation said what.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Thank you. The one thing keeping me from using the stock app is poor execution of group messaging. It doesn't show you which member of the conversation said what.

Sure, glad this helped some. I just figured out the copy/paste concern I had with the Verizon Messages app. Somehow I got into a state where the Copy Message Text function was not displayed, and only the choice to select Save Quick Text. Must have been user error on my part as there is indeed a copy/paste feature. So, I'm staying with Verizon Messages for now, but would use the stock app if it had the group messages capability.

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know how to disable the recent contacts popping up when you start a new message? I found it once but now I can't find it for the life of me.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know how to disable the recent contacts popping up when you start a new message? I found it once but now I can't find it for the life of me.

think you have to delete all threads mate....

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Not exactly what I'm talking about. When I open a new message the contact field populates the last 3 contacts I've texted. It's annoying.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
ah, you dont want it to EVER show recent contacts?
tbh i duno mate, its rare for me to use "compose", i just tap on a thread from the person and add to it... i dont really delete threads.
dont think theres an option mate

...just searched all setings n cant find it mate...

anon(136244)

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Is there a JB stock messaging apk available (I know I probably need to root)? I'm using chomp now because it looks the best, but I honestly liked my stock ICS one on my last phone a lot more.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Is there a JB stock messaging apk available (I know I probably need to root)? I'm using chomp now because it looks the best, but I honestly liked my stock ICS one on my last phone a lot more.

would you have to be rooted if its an .apk?

anon(136244)

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
would you have to be rooted if its an .apk?

Only if it needs to be in the system folder. I'll probably root tonight anyway. I miss the freedom to screw with stuff i shouldn't haha.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Only if it needs to be in the system folder. I'll probably root tonight anyway. I miss the freedom to screw with stuff i shouldn't haha.

im feelin same way mate :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol