Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Best SMS app?

What is the best sms app? I have tried go sms but it seems a bit bubbly for me. Handcent is awesome but a little flaky. It has a few bugs here and there.

Or the stock app which is nothing special but works.

Default Re: Best SMS app?

I use GoSMS and it works flawlessly with many needed and extra features...how was it "bubbly" for you maybe I can help you out...they have different themes to if you do not like the color, even an iPhone SMS theme

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

im a Go Sms user and you can alter every single bit of it
    ive never used themes but u could try them.. theres 100s.. but you can make it look however u want... its so good for me coz when im drunk my eyes are terrible so i have the conversation and popup font huge
    to get rid of bubbles a quick n easy way is to make them same colour as the background.
    Go Sms and Go Contacts are the only Go apps i havent got sick of yet over a few phones
    theres also Chomp and Handcent but i havent tried them tbh

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    GT-I9300, UK

Go sms, great themes and customizable parts

Pop up texts, setting your phone screen to turn on when you get a text, etc

I used to use physical buttons, and then I found button savior
    -S. T. C

Sent from my rooted, debloated CM10 jelly bean 4.1.2 Samsung Galaxy S3 #LikeABo$$
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    2,115 Global Posts
    ROM
    TeamSonicFreeGS3 v9.1

Handcent guy here. Chomp SMS seems nice though. They update often and even already have the iOS6 New emojis. I would switch but I have everything perfect in Handcent already
    Thanked by:
    Kath Diane likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I've been using handcent for a little while but it feels very laggy. I don't really like go for some reason. So it's basically handcent or stock.
    Thanked by:
    ladyc0524 and nancybout like this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

One reason I love handcent is that it has the option to only show mobile numbers when you enter a contact. And the individual notifications.

But stock feels a little smoother. Features vs smooth/stable.

I use stock along with Pops for the notification.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

I haven't found anything easier or more powerful than Go SMS, but I don't like Go products on principle because they push ads on you all the time. (I've tried Go keyboard, contacts, launcher, and SMS.)

As for the way it looks and even operates, there are sooooo many options and even more themes that you can change every corner of it to be more comfortable or attractive for you. And it's free. I have a fuzzy memory of having to pay for handcent. (?)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums
    funkylogik likes this.

Stock Messenger

Sent From My Rooted/Modded SGSIII - If I've helped you please click 'Thanks'!
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

Quote Originally Posted by jaj6503 View Post
    Stock Messenger

nooooooo!!!

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    GT-I9300, UK
    Thanked by:

GO SMS!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Don't third party messenger apps use your data and not your actual sms/mms service?

I don't know. I don't mess with emoticons and stock Messenger does everything I need it to do with a clean minimal UI.

andr0idralphie likes this.

Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanROM

I use stock. GoSMS and Handcent have become so bloated at this point that it's overkill. I don't need fancy backgrounds and fonts, I just need to read and send messages.
    Thanked by:
    andr0idralphie and gdog154934 like this.

I like ChompSMS personally.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.

Does Chomp or GoSMS have a quick compose feature similar to Handcent's where you can long press a button and a quick compose window pops up?

I loved SMS popup. But the LED doesn't work well with the S3 and when I read a message it won't recognize that and keeps the little red number on the top right of the icon. All I want is the popup and be able to respond via that popup, I like the stock app.

Believe it or not, Verizon SMS. Used them all. Had VZW removed as bloatware. Using FT AOKP JB ROM....

Only Verizon app sends MMS...really quite nice....actually surprised.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

Handcent. Go sms was sending encrypted messages to ppl that just use the stock messaging. I like the customization of both. U can chance backgrounds, bubbles, fonts, colors. Its extremely cuatomizable...play with it .... have fun

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

Quote Originally Posted by jaj6503 View Post
    Don't third party messenger apps use your data and not your actual sms/mms service?

I don't know. I don't mess with emoticons and stock Messenger does everything I need it to do with a clean minimal UI.

nah well Go Sms anyway uses sms allowance mate.
    you can even send pics, voice recordings, doodles etc to another user using sms somehow.. i dont even have an MMS allowance (actualy maybe that part uses data?) but normal text is defo just an sms

has anyone else refused the latest Go Sms update?
    im gettin sick of their updates adding more bloat and prompting you to buy stuff so im gona keep Go as it is. is there any way to set like an "ignore" list in play store for it to stop prompting you to update certain apps?

GT-I9300, UK
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

Quote Originally Posted by jamesino View Post
    Does Chomp or GoSMS have a quick compose feature similar to Handcent's where you can long press a button and a quick compose window pops up?
    Go has a widget that does similar mate (actualy just noticed it there lol)

GT-I9300, UK
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Quote Originally Posted by frankspin View Post
    I use stock. GoSMS and Handcent have become so bloated at this point that it's overkill. I don't need fancy backgrounds and fonts, I just need to read and send messages.
    Im starting to feel the same way. The main thing I liked about handcent was that it would only show mobile numbers when I entered a contact. But other than that it's all cosmetic.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyshinta View Post
    Im starting to feel the same way. The main thing I liked about handcent was that it would only show mobile numbers when I entered a contact. But other than that it's all cosmetic.
    Even besides the cosmetics, it has way better features than stock such as changing the LED notification color, looks way more organized, quick reply, and much easier to use

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 Boyyyyyy!
    - Using the Sony Xperia Z3! -

U can go into settings n play store and uncheck the auto update. Or go into ur apps, find go sms and uncheck the auto update. Idk about shutting off the notifications.

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

Quote Originally Posted by mlewis76 View Post
    U can go into settings n play store and uncheck the auto update. Or go into ur apps, find go sms and uncheck the auto update. Idk about shutting off the notifications.

was that to me mate?
    yeah its only a couple of apps that i refuse to update (some are getting SO greedy like Alive Video Wallpaper which is tryin to introduce in-app payments for stuff thats already free instead of just adding payed extras lol. a good lesson for people to read reviews "from this version only" before updating) .. not everything

GT-I9300, UK
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast