Couldn't wait no more

vic_singh

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I was waiting for the official Jelly Bean and after Samsung released that we have to wait longer, I couldn't wait longer so I took things into my own hands and not the leak and loving it..

I recommend it to everyone

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Android Central Forums

bassmig

May 25, 2012
Visit site
I've been debating jumping in but once you go over you no longer can get the OTA updates as far as I understand. I have most of my other devices (GPS, media player, old MP3 player...) running hacked firmwares and OSs, I love to tinker with stuff and electronics but I'm still a bit worried about doing this to my device since I am on a contract and it's my main device right now.

geekymcfly

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Good deal. I did my s3 yesterday. I think I'll still be able to get ota bc I'm not rooted. I upgraded my sisters s3 in under 2 minutes. It's definitely not hard but it will be if you don't know what your doing.

"may the odds be in your favor"

vic_singh

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Ps. The XDA OTA also included root. It's like killing 2 birds with 1 stone.

If you think the S3 was great then wait till you get Jelly Bean.... I'm in love

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
anyone reading this, remember to use a guide for your own version of s3 and carrier :)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

vic_singh

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm so tempted man!
Can I do this by just flashing without rooting?

I have tried one of the other file without root and I got an error. Something about "stage 6" and no one could figure it out.

Ps. This was from another site and no one is ever there to help when issues arise.

I think the problem was the site moderator never mention that we need Clockwork mod recovery.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
People are reporting that the battery life is much worst, is that the case with yours?

What about these bugs?

*the screenshot "SHARE" button is initially blocked and you must scroll up with two fingers and expand it again to show it sometimes
*music player crashes when you hit the shuffle button at the top of the list
*playing audio through bluetooth seems to be wonky and doesnt work very frequently.
*grey status bar
*uncentered status bar icons

sfrrr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I'm finding battery life sucks. I was happy with it in ICS. Not now. Plus, it charges much more slowly.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

sfrrr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Also, my status bar is black (maybe because.I'm using a skin with apex launcher?). Also, my status icons have always been asymmetrical. If they suddenly changed to symmetrical, I'd change them back. Asymmetry is much more attractive. So, I don't think those are bugs or flaws.

I use power amp so I can't comment on the music dealie.

UPDATE: the slow charging turns out to have been operator error. Somehow, I confused an old, thinner USB extension cable with my new, thicker one. Like the iPad 2, the S3 needs a big goose of a charge, and now, everything is back to normal. So normal, in fact, that I can't see much difference between ICS and JB. Why were/are we so anticipating JB?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

mikefrombx

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I am on cm10 do yourself a favor and download Odin and a stock Image then you can Futz around all you want and always go back to stock to pull down an ota if you want to regress.

cm10 on a vzw s3 is awesome

vic_singh

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
People are reporting that the battery life is much worst, is that the case with yours?

What about these bugs?

*the screenshot "SHARE" button is initially blocked and you must scroll up with two fingers and expand it again to show it sometimes
*music player crashes when you hit the shuffle button at the top of the list
*playing audio through bluetooth seems to be wonky and doesnt work very frequently.
*grey status bar
*uncentered status bar icons

I have no issue to share.
I use poweramp
I don't do Bluetooth streaming
And no issue with status bar.

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Good deal. I did my s3 yesterday. I think I'll still be able to get ota bc I'm not rooted. I upgraded my sisters s3 in under 2 minutes. It's definitely not hard but it will be if you don't know what your doing.

"may the odds be in your favor"

Rooting alone doesn't prevent OTA retrieval.

Sent From My Rooted/Modded SGSIII - If I've helped you please click 'Thanks'!

junglejunkie

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
When you flash an alternate recovery like CWM or TWRP, that is when you lose the ability to get OTA. You can always flash stock recovery back if you have a change of heart and want to go the OTA way.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums