Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    432 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP Task650 & kTOONSEZ

Default Couldn't wait no more

I was waiting for the official Jelly Bean and after Samsung released that we have to wait longer, I couldn't wait longer so I took things into my own hands and not the leak and loving it..

I recommend it to everyone

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Android Central Forums
    Samsung M100 Uproar > Samsung X480 > Siemens SK65 > BlackBerry 7100T > BlackBerry 8220 Pearl Flip > Palm Pre > Samsung Galaxy S > Samsung Galaxy S2 > Samsung Galaxy S3 > Nexus 4 > Soon Nexus 5

Nexus 7 / 2 x Minix Neo X7
    Thanked by:
    neiljay6 likes this.

Default Re: Couldn't wait no more

Was it simple?

The amazing galaxy s3

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

which rom u runnin bro?

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    GT-I9300, UK

Global Posts
    355 Global Posts

I've been debating jumping in but once you go over you no longer can get the OTA updates as far as I understand. I have most of my other devices (GPS, media player, old MP3 player...) running hacked firmwares and OSs, I love to tinker with stuff and electronics but I'm still a bit worried about doing this to my device since I am on a contract and it's my main device right now.

Good deal. I did my s3 yesterday. I think I'll still be able to get ota bc I'm not rooted. I upgraded my sisters s3 in under 2 minutes. It's definitely not hard but it will be if you don't know what your doing.

"may the odds be in your favor"
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    432 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP Task650 & kTOONSEZ

It was extremely easy.. I followed the link from XDA

Samsung M100 Uproar > Samsung X480 > Siemens SK65 > BlackBerry 7100T > BlackBerry 8220 Pearl Flip > Palm Pre > Samsung Galaxy S > Samsung Galaxy S2 > Samsung Galaxy S3 > Nexus 4 > Soon Nexus 5

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    432 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP Task650 & kTOONSEZ

Ps. The XDA OTA also included root. It's like killing 2 birds with 1 stone.

If you think the S3 was great then wait till you get Jelly Bean.... I'm in love

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

anyone reading this, remember to use a guide for your own version of s3 and carrier

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    GT-I9300, UK
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    432 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP Task650 & kTOONSEZ

This is the link I used from XDA.

I'm so tempted man!
    Can I do this by just flashing without rooting?
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    432 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP Task650 & kTOONSEZ

Quote Originally Posted by smooth4lyfe View Post
    I'm so tempted man!
    Can I do this by just flashing without rooting?
    I have tried one of the other file without root and I got an error. Something about "stage 6" and no one could figure it out.

Ps. This was from another site and no one is ever there to help when issues arise.

I think the problem was the site moderator never mention that we need Clockwork mod recovery.

12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    432 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP Task650 & kTOONSEZ

Thus is where I got the file from

People are reporting that the battery life is much worst, is that the case with yours?

What about these bugs?

*the screenshot "SHARE" button is initially blocked and you must scroll up with two fingers and expand it again to show it sometimes
    *music player crashes when you hit the shuffle button at the top of the list
    *playing audio through bluetooth seems to be wonky and doesnt work very frequently.
    *grey status bar
    *uncentered status bar icons

Yes, I'm finding battery life sucks. I was happy with it in ICS. Not now. Plus, it charges much more slowly.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

Also, my status bar is black (maybe because.I'm using a skin with apex launcher?). Also, my status icons have always been asymmetrical. If they suddenly changed to symmetrical, I'd change them back. Asymmetry is much more attractive. So, I don't think those are bugs or flaws.

I use power amp so I can't comment on the music dealie.

UPDATE: the slow charging turns out to have been operator error. Somehow, I confused an old, thinner USB extension cable with my new, thicker one. Like the iPad 2, the S3 needs a big goose of a charge, and now, everything is back to normal. So normal, in fact, that I can't see much difference between ICS and JB. Why were/are we so anticipating JB?

Last edited by sfrrr; 10-19-2012 at 12:41 PM.

I am on cm10 do yourself a favor and download Odin and a stock Image then you can Futz around all you want and always go back to stock to pull down an ota if you want to regress.

cm10 on a vzw s3 is awesome
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Global Posts
    432 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP Task650 & kTOONSEZ

Quote Originally Posted by smooth4lyfe View Post
    People are reporting that the battery life is much worst, is that the case with yours?

What about these bugs?

*the screenshot "SHARE" button is initially blocked and you must scroll up with two fingers and expand it again to show it sometimes
    *music player crashes when you hit the shuffle button at the top of the list
    *playing audio through bluetooth seems to be wonky and doesnt work very frequently.
    *grey status bar
    *uncentered status bar icons
    I have no issue to share.
    I use poweramp
    I don't do Bluetooth streaming
    And no issue with status bar.

18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Global Posts
    432 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP Task650 & kTOONSEZ

Honestly I find no difference with battery life

Quote Originally Posted by iCrank View Post
    Good deal. I did my s3 yesterday. I think I'll still be able to get ota bc I'm not rooted. I upgraded my sisters s3 in under 2 minutes. It's definitely not hard but it will be if you don't know what your doing.

"may the odds be in your favor"
    Rooting alone doesn't prevent OTA retrieval.

Sent From My Rooted/Modded SGSIII - If I've helped you please click 'Thanks'!

Global Posts
    546 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.1.2 Stock Rooted

When you flash an alternate recovery like CWM or TWRP, that is when you lose the ability to get OTA. You can always flash stock recovery back if you have a change of heart and want to go the OTA way.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

Quote Originally Posted by sfrrr View Post
    Also, my status bar is black (maybe because.I'm using a skin with apex launcher?). Also, my status icons have always been asymmetrical. If they suddenly changed to symmetrical, I'd change them back. Asymmetry is much more attractive. So, I don't think those are bugs or flaws.

I use power amp so I can't comment on the music dealie.

UPDATE: the slow charging turns out to have been operator error. Somehow, I confused an old, thinner USB extension cable with my new, thicker one. Like the iPad 2, the S3 needs a big goose of a charge, and now, everything is back to normal. So normal, in fact, that I can't see much difference between ICS and JB. Why were/are we so anticipating JB?

aparently the s3 (maybe samsungs in general?) charger micro USB is wired slightly different and lets the phone charge faster?
    think i saw a guide on soldering pins together to make any micro usb charger into a sammy charger (?)

GT-I9300, UK
    Thanked by:
    sfrrr 

Global Posts
    979 Global Posts

The phone will only charge as fast as a voltage regulator will allow. The power block itself is probably a 2 amp instead of 1 or 1.1 amp. This will allow the battery to charge at a slightly faster rate and may be why some people complain about high temps when charging.

Note2 or Note10, that is the question

Quote Originally Posted by junglejunkie View Post
    When you flash an alternate recovery like CWM or TWRP, that is when you lose the ability to get OTA. You can always flash stock recovery back if you have a change of heart and want to go the OTA way.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums
    Not true. I'm using CWM and have received (intentionally) the 2 latest OTAs.

Global Posts
    355 Global Posts

I was seriously contemplating this but bluetooth streaming is a deal breaker for me, I have a 45 minute trek into work and I need my tunes to keep my sanity.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Global Posts
    432 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP Task650 & kTOONSEZ

Quote Originally Posted by jaj6503 View Post
    Not true. I'm using CWM and have received (intentionally) the 2 latest OTAs.

I don't get OTA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast