Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts

Default Switching Networks, best way to transfer phone info?

We're on AT&T right now, and both have Galaxy S3s. We've been on AT&T for almost 2 years, and just upgraded our phones. On Sunday it will be 30 days, and I want to return the phones and switch to Verizon, and get the same phones. Since we can't just swap SIM cards and magically work on Verizon, what is the best way to transfer everything we've changed on our current phones? Or do we pretty much have to save all of our pics, etc to a PC and start from scratch with customizing the new phones? We have no paid apps yet, so that's not an issue.
    Sorry for being so ignorant of how this works, we're new to Android (came from WP7) and the only stuff I know of these phones yet is from browsing the forums in my little spare time. Also, for anyone questioning the Verizon switch; They just seem to have better reception where we tend to travel. My brother on his Verizon iPhone 4 can stream video while I can't even make a call, check the weather or send a pic! We tested last night and there was a 5 miles stretch where I had perfect signal and he had none. Everywhere else he had 2 to 3 bars more than I did.

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

Default Re: Switching Networks, best way to transfer phone info?

Uhh contacts are synced with Google on login apps are linked to your gmail data pictures save games should be on sd card

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    zr2s10 

You may have some of the bum batch of S3s that initially came out. Take out your battery and look at the sticker on the phone... after the 16GB or 32GB the "fixed" ones have a -B or a -BR. This version seems to fix the connectivity issues.
    Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

Thanked by:
    zr2s10 

Global Posts
    285 Global Posts

Your contacts like nrm5110 said is automatically saved to Google so when you sign in to your Google account on your new s3 they should all be there as far as pictures you can sign up for Google plus and get your pictures to auto sync so they will save online and will automatically be on your new phone like your contacts

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
    zr2s10 
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts

Well there's no -B or -BR after the 16GB on the back. Which is surprising, since we got these at Sam's Club. I woulda thought they sold enough by now to burn through the initial batch of phones. Either way, even on our old phones (which I felt my Focus had about the same signal quality as the current ones) my brother had signal more places and more consistently than I did. My wife wanted to just upgrade, thinking the new phones would take care of the issue. While the SG3 is better than her old Quantum, it's still not up to par with a Verizon iPhone 4.

I'll have to sign up for google+ for both of us, thank you all for the info! Also, is there a setting to only sync to + when on WiFi? Don't want to burn up data when I'm not.

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zr2s10 View Post
    Well there's no -B or -BR after the 16GB on the back. Which is surprising, since we got these at Sam's Club. I woulda thought they sold enough by now to burn through the initial batch of phones. Either way, even on our old phones (which I felt my Focus had about the same signal quality as the current ones) my brother had signal more places and more consistently than I did. My wife wanted to just upgrade, thinking the new phones would take care of the issue. While the SG3 is better than her old Quantum, it's still not up to par with a Verizon iPhone 4.

I'll have to sign up for google+ for both of us, thank you all for the info! Also, is there a setting to only sync to + when on WiFi? Don't want to burn up data when I'm not.
    Yeah it asks you about that

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    zr2s10 
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts

And I'm assuming this isn't possible, but is there a way to save layout and/or messages?

And I've seen people saying GS3 on Verizon sucks? So far all I've really seen is a notification about WiFi, which I try to stick to anyway. I also saw they had a locked bootloader at first, but I don't care to root anyway. I'd probably end up bricking my phone, lol. Is there any other issue I'm missing? And has anyone had iPhone 4 vs GS3 experience on Verizon? I was hoping to get an apples to apples (no pun intended) comparison, but don't know any Verizon GS3 owners. I figure if someone can tell me if the GS3 is better or equal to the iPhone on Verizon, I'll know I'm making the right choice.

I wouldn't normally be so picky about this, but I don't want my wife stranded with no signal and my 6 month old son in the back seat. I just feel at this time, that's more likely to happen with AT&T.
    Last edited by zr2s10; 10-19-2012 at 01:48 PM.

Global Posts
    285 Global Posts

I have 3 friends on Verizon with gs3's and they all love it. Haven't heard one complaint and as far as iPhone vs gs3 in my opinion both are great phone and I think for you both would do what you want its just a matter of witch operating system you prefer. IOS or android

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums