Google Play update all hangs with screen off

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed recently that if I have multiple apps to update and hit update all, and then turn off the screen on my GS3, Google Play will download and update one app, but then hang on the rest. I have to hit stop, and then restart the download.

Has anyone else noticed this issue?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

geekymcfly

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed recently that if I have multiple apps to update and hit update all, and then turn off the screen on my GS3, Google Play will download and update one app, but then hang on the rest. I have to hit stop, and then restart the download.

Has anyone else noticed this issue?

I noticed it. I just stopped the biggest files from downloading

"all animals are created equal but some animals are more equal than others" animal bylaws- animal farm

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the response. It's nice to know I'm not the only one seeing this issue. It makes me think it could, conceivably at least, be a Google Play issue, but I guess I'll wait for others to weigh in before making that call.

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, have you tried clearing the data/cache in the Play Store's application settings?

Sent From My Rooted/Modded SGSIII - If I've helped you please click 'Thanks'!

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I noticed it. I just stopped the biggest files from downloading

"all animals are created equal but some animals are more equal than others" animal bylaws- animal farm

I had this issue on my Transformer Prime for a while until I got the JB update. Now it doesn't have the problem anymore.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, have you tried clearing the data/cache in the Play Store's application settings?

Sent From My Rooted/Modded SGSIII - If I've helped you please click 'Thanks'!

Yes, tried that, and clearing Download Manager's data and cache as well. Didn't seem to fix it, unfortunately.

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else have any thoughts or possible suggestions on how to fix this?

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
sorry i know its not a fix but id update one by one, read reviews of the new version from users of your device and then decide to update.
theres sometimes some really shjt updates and more and more devs are gettin greedy with in-app purchases

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I think this may be a Google Play issue, not an issue with a specific app. It seems to occur with all apps when I tap update all.

geekymcfly

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
sorry i know its not a fix but id update one by one, read reviews of the new version from users of your device and then decide to update.
theres sometimes some really shjt updates and more and more devs are gettin greedy with in-app purchases

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

That's how I had to do it. +1

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
So is the thought that this is being caused by a specific app? It seems to be more of a Google Play issue, at least in my estimation.

I'm using a Verizon GS3 and the latest update included some stability enhancement for Google Play. I wonder if that is producing this.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
So is the thought that this is being caused by a specific app? It seems to be more of a Google Play issue, at least in my estimation.

I'm using a Verizon GS3 and the latest update included some stability enhancement for Google Play. I wonder if that is producing this.

must say ive never updated apps with screen off but ive left them updating in background plenty times.
dead trigger needs updated so ill test it now...
....yup its still updating with screen off.. thats just one app though n i guess the problem is with updating multiple apps?

camiller

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
I've had an update hang when doing multiple updates whether the screen was off or not. Usually I can cancel the update all then restart it and it will go to completion.

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
must say ive never updated apps with screen off but ive left them updating in background plenty times.
dead trigger needs updated so ill test it now...
....yup its still updating with screen off.. thats just one app though n i guess the problem is with updating multiple apps?

Yes, it seems to occur when I have multiple apps to update, update them all, and then turn off the screen.

Hopefully this will work itself out eventually.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it seems to occur when I have multiple apps to update, update them all, and then turn off the screen.

Hopefully this will work itself out eventually.

i can never select "update all" because theres a few sitting there that i never plan to update lol :)

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Out of curiosity, are the folks who are experiencing this issue on a Verizon GS3?

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
are any of you using a battery saving app which turns off data while screen is off?

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
are any of you using a battery saving app which turns off data while screen is off?

I'm not.

By the way, I appreciate your efforts to troubleshoot this!

lbkiml

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Out of curiosity, are the folks who are experiencing this issue on a Verizon GS3?

I am. I just assume its normal. Kinda like wifi when you lock the device, it disconnects until you unlock it again.
In convenient but now I just update it with the screen on and just wait until they all finish (I don't have that many apps to begin with anyways)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
wifi can be set to stay on even while the phone sleeps, that could be the answer for wifi users...
settings, wifi, menu, advanced,
uploadfromtaptalk1351743825314.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy