Can't view photos on PC with USB connection to GS3,,, help please

Davyo

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
When I hook up my iphone 5 or any of my other phones or cameras to my PC via USB conection to transfer pictures to my PC I can see the thumbnails of the photos on ALL my devices except for the GS3,,,, the GS3 just shows generic thumbnail icons when opening the DCIM folder,, no images.

It's quite a pain when you only want to select certain photos to copy to your PC.

How and what is the fix for this ?

Thanks in advance

Cheers
Davyo

trucky

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I see the same thing as the OP. Third phone, each one was the same. I've uninstalled the device driver a few times.

Davyo

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I see the same thing as the OP. Third phone, each one was the same. I've uninstalled the device driver a few times.

Glad to see some one else post about the same issue,,,,,, I have seen other mentions of this issue as well on other sites and the advise was to use Samsung Kies, which also did not resolve the issue.

It is odd and frustrating that photos can't be viewed on the GS3's DCIM folder via a USB connection to a PC.

I have also read that Jelly Bean does not fix the problem either.

There has to be a fix, it sure would be great to find out what that fix is.

Cheers
Davyo

trucky

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
As apollooff320 alluded to, I think it has to be in the drivers. I have a sync program I use to synchronize files and folders. When I plug in any other USB device it automatically sees it and syncs. It can't even see the S3. And Kies is crapola. I've installed every new version that comes out and have not had success with any of them. I can install and use an S3 Toolkit is use to root and install CWM and it works perfectly. I do a fresh install of Kies and it just tells me "Not valid for this phone". It should be simple.

Davyo

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
This whole issue is so odd,,,,, Samsung puts a great camera in the S3 but then hobbles it with not letting you view the images on your PC,,,,, I don't get this at all,,,, this is for sure one area where my iphone 5 wins over my GS3.

I wonder if Samsung is aware of this very stupid mistake on their part and if they plan to put out a fix/update,,,,, as I mentioned before Jelly Bean also has the same issue,,,,,,WTF Samsung ????

Cheers
Davyo

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Yeah same here, not sure why its like that (Maybe a privacy issue?)

But you can double click on one of the photos to see the picture with your Photo Viewer on your computer, then just see them all from there (Clicking left/right on the keyboard to go from one photo to the next)

walcolm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Folks,
The gs3 doesn't register itself as a memory card when connected via usb so it doesn't give the same latitude you get from one

It was like that on ics and still like that on jb

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

GTWalling

May 18, 2011
Visit site
The problem is not really a problem. Google did away with Mass Storage with ICS. It will not mount as a Mass drive, only as a media device. With no Mass Storage you will only see the generic Icons without the image of the photo. If rooted there is an app that will allow you to mount the External SD Card in Mass Storage but not the Internal SD. That is just the way Google now wants it to work.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Guess the guys at Google need their heads examined :mad:

The advantage to the new approach is that it greatly limits the opportunities for file corruption when copying files. And since Apple computers WILL display the thumbnails correctly, this is at least as much Microsoft's problem as Google's.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463