Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 86
Like Tree8Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    funkylogik's Avatar

    Posts
    9,694 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

    Default Google Now: help, tips

    just got it lastnight so got some questions.. i usualy have Maps disabled but Now seems to want it enabled?
    aparently Now talks to you, id never use voice input but why isnt it talking to me?
    in the guide it says it learns by what you ask it but does that include text input?
    (im scottish and it wont understand me)
    thanx

    global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    GT-I9300, UK
  2. #2  
    junglejunkie's Avatar

    Posts
    544 Posts
    Global Posts
    546 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.1.2 Stock Rooted

    Default Re: Google Now: help, tips

    Well funkylogik I'm glad you finally got your update, I know that you have been VERY eager to get it. I have been using it for a while with my Nexus 7 an with flashing various roms for my S3 and I have NEVER heard it talk back to me. It does learn by google searches via the web. The "cards" are pretty neat. It learns your work location (it will tell you commute times with traffic), local weather, favorite sports teams & scores, but like I said I haven't ever had a "Siri like experience," which doesn't bother me.

    Edit: I did ask "what is the weather" and it said my local weather out loud. So I am sure that there are a basic set of questions that it will speak responses to. I'm sure that a google search will turn up something.

    Enjoy your Jellybean'd S3. I will flash back to stock once the update comes through for me (T-Mobile USA) to check it out.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    funkylogik's Avatar

    Posts
    9,694 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

    Default Re: Google Now: help, tips

    thanks mate. its actualy the best voice rec' ive tried including siri. i asked it with my voice "what is twenty uk pounds in us dollars and it spoke the answer.
    its reliable enough that i made a voice shortcut!
    kudos google

    global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    GT-I9300, UK
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    funkylogik's Avatar

    Posts
    9,694 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

    Default Re: Google Now: help, tips

    wish there was a thumb up/down system to teach it when its wrong with voice.
    can an american please see if it recignises the word "metres" please?
    no matter what accent we use, it just wont get it lol....

    global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    GT-I9300, UK
  5. #5  
    mctl's Avatar

    Posts
    26 Posts
    ROM
    Rooted is enough, for now

    Default Re: Google Now: help, tips

    Tried it with my french accent on the US english language pack and sure enough, it answered back with up to 7 decimals!
    Google Now: help, tips-2012-10-25-22.27.22.png


    Doesn't talk back to me when I use the french pack though, it always opens a Google search page
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  
    funkylogik's Avatar

    Posts
    9,694 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

    Default Re: Google Now: help, tips

    wow. maybe i should try US or ASTRALIAN setting.... my accent is as far from "the queens english" as u can get lol

    global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    GT-I9300, UK
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  
    funkylogik's Avatar

    Posts
    9,694 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

    Default Re: Google Now: help, tips

    infact youre psycic because thats the EXACT question i was asking it lol... 20metres!!!

    global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    GT-I9300, UK
    mctl likes this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  
    funkylogik's Avatar

    Posts
    9,694 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

    Default Re: Google Now: help, tips

    ahh i changed it from english uk to english generic and it got it perfect
    and spoke it with all the decimals lol

    global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    GT-I9300, UK
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Google Now: help, tips

    About time u got it! Now I must wait like another month possibly to get mine...argh!!!
    funkylogik likes this.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  
    funkylogik's Avatar

    Posts
    9,694 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

    Default Re: Google Now: help, tips

    lol brer i hate to say it but like everyone says its an anticlimax so far.

    crazy thing is its the voice recognition (something i didnt care about) thats impressed me most
    i still dont understand expanding notifications.....?
    none of mine have changed exept that you can long press to go to the app in app manager....

    global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    GT-I9300, UK
    geekymcfly likes this.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Google Now: help, tips

    Quote Originally Posted by funkylogik View Post
    lol brer i hate to say it but like everyone says its an anticlimax so far.

    crazy thing is its the voice recognition (something i didnt care about) thats impressed me most
    i still dont understand expanding notifications.....?
    none of mine have changed exept that you can long press to go to the app in app manager....

    global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    Yeah the voice recognition is good, expanding notifications just let's you view the whole message instead of a small preview like on ics. I did enjoy jb.

    "all animals are created equal but some animals are more equal than others" animal bylaws- animal farm
    Thanked by:
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  
    funkylogik's Avatar

    Posts
    9,694 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

    Default Re: Google Now: help, tips

    so do u just tap it mate?

    ..and why "did"?

    global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    GT-I9300, UK
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Google Now: help, tips

    Quote Originally Posted by funkylogik View Post
    so do u just tap it mate?

    ..and why "did"?

    global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    You just drag it down and I was coming out of a tattoo shop last week and I (well I suffer from ptsd) and thought I saw something from the corner of my eye and tossed my phone into the air on accident and had to get the phone replaced.

    "all animals are created equal but some animals are more equal than others" animal bylaws- animal farm
    funkylogik likes this.
  14. #14  
    junglejunkie's Avatar

    Posts
    544 Posts
    Global Posts
    546 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.1.2 Stock Rooted

    Default Re: Google Now: help, tips

    Quote Originally Posted by funkylogik View Post
    i still dont understand expanding notifications.....?
    none of mine have changed exept that you can long press to go to the app in app manager....
    It will only work with some notifications. If you miss a call, do a 2 finger swipe down and it will give you the option to call them back or send a text. If you get a gmail do a 2 finger swipe down and you will expand the email. Use 2 fingers and "pull" the notification down.
    Thanked by:
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Google Now: help, tips

    Quote Originally Posted by junglejunkie View Post
    It will only work with some notifications. If you miss a call, do a 2 finger swipe down and it will give you the option to call them back or send a text. If you get a gmail do a 2 finger swipe down and you will expand the email. Use 2 fingers and "pull" the notification down.
    That's funny bc it displayed full when I just pulled it down

    "all animals are created equal but some animals are more equal than others" animal bylaws- animal farm
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  
    funkylogik's Avatar

    Posts
    9,694 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

    Default Re: Google Now: help, tips

    Quote Originally Posted by iCrank View Post
    You just drag it down and I was coming out of a tattoo shop last week and I (well I suffer from ptsd) and thought I saw something from the corner of my eye and tossed my phone into the air on accident and had to get the phone replaced.

    "all animals are created equal but some animals are more equal than others" animal bylaws- animal farm
    unlucky man

    oh yeah, 2 fingers worked
    cheers

    global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    GT-I9300, UK
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Google Now: help, tips

    Quote Originally Posted by funkylogik View Post
    unlucky man

    oh yeah, 2 fingers worked
    cheers

    global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    Yeah it sucks

    "all animals are created equal but some animals are more equal than others" animal bylaws- animal farm
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  
    funkylogik's Avatar

    Posts
    9,694 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

    Default Re: Google Now: help, tips

    Quote Originally Posted by iCrank View Post
    Yeah it sucks

    "all animals are created equal but some animals are more equal than others" animal bylaws- animal farm
    lucky u were insured mate

    global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    GT-I9300, UK
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Google Now: help, tips

    Google now? Wtf is this
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  
    funkylogik's Avatar

    Posts
    9,694 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

    Default Re: Google Now: help, tips

    Quote Originally Posted by deanodrums View Post
    Google now? Wtf is this
    long press menu mate
    it suggests you keep wifi on even when not connected.
    read the guide, aparently it wants maps enabled too.
    try asking voice the weather (dont tell it where you are) or asking what 29 UK pounds is in US dollars

    global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    GT-I9300, UK
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Google Now: help, tips

    Ok done that. I pressed the g and it goes back to my home screen

    Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums
  22. #22  
    vr002sh's Avatar

    Posts
    265 Posts
    Global Posts
    267 Global Posts

    Default Re: Google Now: help, tips

    Quote Originally Posted by funkylogik View Post
    wow. maybe i should try US or ASTRALIAN setting.... my accent is as far from "the queens english" as u can get lol
    I work in the US for a company that has a major office in Nottingham UK, We have a chap from Scotland who works there. We have a employee whose last name is Cook, but this chap pronounces it Kook. I chuckle every time he does it. On the other hand if i am on hands free in the car and he is talking, I have to keep my wife out of the car, she swoons for his voice.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  
    funkylogik's Avatar

    Posts
    9,694 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

    Default Re: Google Now: help, tips

    Quote Originally Posted by vr002sh View Post
    I work in the US for a company that has a major office in Nottingham UK, We have a chap from Scotland who works there. We have a employee whose last name is Cook, but this chap pronounces it Kook. I chuckle every time he does it. On the other hand if i am on hands free in the car and he is talking, I have to keep my wife out of the car, she swoons for his voice.
    lol ma accent, although very rugged and abrupt (when i lived in south england for 2years i could say "hello" and it sounded like a threat to them) i dont have the put-on Ewan McGreggor (starwars) sexy accent lol
    the girls in England liked it but the guys just wanted to fight

    p.s, ask the scot to pronounce "worm" as in "earthworm" lol... we say it "wirr-im"

    global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    GT-I9300, UK
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  
    funkylogik's Avatar

    Posts
    9,694 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

    Default Re: Google Now: help, tips

    Quote Originally Posted by deanodrums View Post
    Ok done that. I pressed the g and it goes back to my home screen

    Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums
    in home screen, long press the left capacitive key mate same as we used to do for google search and it brings up google Now
    what ive done for a Now voice input is download "custom ics search" widget, when you go to add it, make the box and "google" word transparent and make the microphone whatever colour suits your screen, long press it when uve added it and resize as small as possible. then u have a direct siri-like shortcut to talk to it. ask it "whats the weather" and it knows where you are and speaks the reply

    global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    GT-I9300, UK
  25. #25  
    vr002sh's Avatar

    Posts
    265 Posts
    Global Posts
    267 Global Posts

    Default Re: Google Now: help, tips

    Quote Originally Posted by funkylogik View Post
    lol ma accent, although very rugged and abrupt (when i lived in south england for 2years i could say "hello" and it sounded like a threat to them) i dont have the put-on Ewan McGreggor (starwars) sexy accent lol
    the girls in England liked it but the guys just wanted to fight

    p.s, ask the scot to pronounce "worm" as in "earthworm" lol... we say it "wirr-im"

    global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    I will see Barry next week, I will ask him to pronounce Worm! LOL
    Thanked by:
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Share your Google now tips.
    By jessesmith8888 in forum Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 06-02-2013, 07:45 AM
  2. Need help with google now
    By slik6996 in forum Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-21-2013, 05:47 PM
  3. Google now fix anyone?..need help
    By mlbyanks11 in forum Droid RAZR MAXX
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-14-2012, 10:14 AM
  4. Google Now tips
    By mraviator in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2012)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-17-2012, 10:34 PM
  5. Tried rooting now my phone is stuck on the Google screen Help!
    By craigrn16 in forum Verizon Galaxy Nexus Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-25-2012, 05:14 AM

Posting Permissions

B