Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Default Re: Scratches in 48 hours! Pretty sure there's some defective Gorilla Glass 2 out there.

Quote Originally Posted by stryguy View Post
    The sales manager and I were talking and he's seen quite a few angry customers with scratched screens. So out of curiosity he rubbed his car keys on the screen of the one I returned and sure enough, there were scratches. They are super fine but you can feel them with your finger nail. We tried the same thing to the phone I was getting as a replacement and no scratches at all. He was even more vigorous trying to scratch the new phone and still, nothing.
    I'm sorry...but that points to a defective screen on that particular phone. Or an above average screen for the replacement. The issue is not the consumer. As I said before...this is a lil different than "OMG my screen is scratched...." Perfect example....my Maxx HD has no black splotches. My RAZR from last year does. My PS Vita has them bad.

Unless once Gorilla Glass gets a scratch, scratches start showing up left n right. I know thats not the case from using a Droid 1, Droid X1, G Nex, Rezound over the past 2 years.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

Default Re: Scratches in 48 hours! Pretty sure there's some defective Gorilla Glass 2 out there.

this is what i mean

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    GT-I9300, UK

Default Scratches in 48 hours! Pretty sure there's some defective Gorilla Glass 2 out there.

Quote Originally Posted by jroc View Post
    I'm sorry...but that points to a defective screen on that particular phone. Or an above average screen for the replacement. The issue is not the consumer. As I said before...this is a lil different than "OMG my screen is scratched...." Perfect example....my Maxx HD has no black splotches. My RAZR from last year does. My PS Vita has them bad.

Unless once Gorilla Glass gets a scratch, scratches start showing up left n right. I know thats not the case from using a Droid 1, Droid X1, G Nex, Rezound over the past 2 years.
    No, it isn't. We have no idea how the Verizon employee scratched the screen, how sharp his keys are, etc. As has been said in every 'omg this scratches!' thread before, no two scratches or drops are the same. Even tiny degrees of difference matter. So using the Verizon employee as proof of a defective screen is irrelevant and does not support the conclusion.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #29  

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

Picture this setting. The manager takes my phone (white) and his house key and rubs it back and forth about 10-15 times. Close inspection reveals about 4 scratches in addition to the one scratch I inadvertently added.

He takes my new phone (blue) and does the same thing. No scratches. He then drags the key HARD against it, like trying to dig into the glass.. nothing.

When I get home I try the same thing with my old Droid X and my house key.. Dragging it hard, pressing hard against the glass.. There was a mark but it rubbed out with some spit and my finger.

To the mindless drones that claim "meet corning standards". I mean we all know there's never been recalls, never in the history of the world have a manufacturer released substandard materials right? Corning is the parent company of Dow Corning who had to settle a 4.5 billion (yes BILLION) dollar lawsuit for manufacturing breast implants they knew were bad and were actually killing people. No way could they ever produce a bad batch of gorilla glass though, right? Totally impossible. What I saw must have just been my imagination.

BTW.. No one is claiming this is scientific proof that a bad batch of glass is out there. It does give one pause however.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by JHBThree View Post
    No, it isn't. We have no idea how the Verizon employee scratched the screen, how sharp his keys are, etc. As has been said in every 'omg this scratches!' thread before, no two scratches or drops are the same. Even tiny degrees of difference matter. So using the Verizon employee as proof of a defective screen is irrelevant and does not support the conclusion.
    If he took those same keys and created scratches on the old phone....and couldnt on the new phone....its the phone. Occoms Razor....

I find it hard to believe that he scratches the old phone in a very specific way that couldnt be reproduced on the new phone. Like how some Amoled screens have blue/yellow/green tint and black splotches issues, and some dont.

I think we all know Gorilla Glass isnt scratch proof....but those 2 particular phones had different results. I have been saying this alot lately...all phones arent created equal. I understand what you're saying. One phone can drop on concrete and dont break...another can drop and shatters. Depends on how the phone falls. But if trying to duplicate the scratches it happens with ease one Phone A and doesnt on Phone B.....its the phone.
    Last edited by jroc; 10-28-2012 at 11:56 PM.
    funkylogik likes this.

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

have a search through the "are you going naked" and scratched/cracked glass threads here and youll see a huge difference in experiences.
    this is only MY observation but the internationals were released 1st, i got one as soon at it was available.
    ill take pics of the dents on my bezel and scratch/grazes on the back but i swear down, my unprotected screen has nothing, not a ball-hair scratch, nothing.
    then the US s3 was released, probably in a hurry due to mass demand.. now maybe production has caught up with demand and the newer US s3 are getting better quality glass.
    i base this ONLY on reading this and a UK based forum....
    is it so unlikely that a rushed batch of glass got used at some point?

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    GT-I9300, UK

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

p.s, i doubt colour has anything to do with it unless they get the glass applied in separate places.... id say its to do with the date made

GT-I9300, UK
    stryguy likes this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #33  

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

The blue one the manager gave me is just a temporary one (and will be going to a coworker) and my replacement white one will probably be there today (monday) or tomorrow. Better believe I'm going to ask him to do a scratch test!

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

yeah u should mate.

mines a white btw but customised "carbon black" Scratches in 48 hours!  Pretty sure there's some defective Gorilla Glass 2 out there.-uploadfromtaptalk1351492359975.jpg

GT-I9300, UK

Default Scratches in 48 hours! Pretty sure there's some defective Gorilla Glass 2 out there.

If he took those same keys and created scratches on the old phone....and couldnt on the new phone....its the phone. Occoms Razor....

I find it hard to believe that he scratches the old phone in a very specific way that couldnt be reproduced on the new phone. Like how some Amoled screens have blue/yellow/green tint and black splotches issues, and some dont.

I think we all know Gorilla Glass isnt scratch proof....but those 2 particular phones had different results. I have been saying this alot lately...all phones arent created equal. I understand what you're saying. One phone can drop on concrete and dont break...another can drop and shatters. Depends on how the phone falls. But if trying to duplicate the scratches it happens with ease one Phone A and doesnt on Phone B.....its the phone.
    Again, unless the scratches were done in an identical fashion, you cannot compare the two.

Again, unless the scratches were done in an identical fashion, you cannot compare the two.
    I see....so...we can have defective phones....but not defective screens....

lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by funkylogik View Post
    p.s, i doubt colour has anything to do with it unless they get the glass applied in separate places.... id say its to do with the date made

I think he was just asking since white phones have more issues (or at least you hear about it more then others). No clue why this is the case but with iPhones and some Android ones you always heard about odd issues with white phones.

Maybe they do it different? No clue... I always figured it was the same but just.. Well white lol :P

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
    funkylogik likes this.

I have to agree with Funky on this one. I too believe a large batch of sub-par glass made it on to some phones. I'm sure that there are quality controls in place to ensure the glass meets certain standards before Corning will release it, but there is no way they can test each and every individual glass unit before it ships. QC is merely a numbers game, therefore less than perfect products can (and do) get through the checks.

Check out this example:
    My wife, two brothers, two sisters-in-law, and myself all have the SGS3. And all the phones vary by carrier and/or purchase dates. With the exception of my wife, all of us are rockin' the SGS3 case-less. One of my brothers had his phone in his lap while getting out of his car and the phone fell from a height probably no more than 2 feet and the screen shattered (spider web effect on 1/4 to 1/2 of the screen.) Then, one of my sisters-in-law was getting into her car one day and had her hands full so she put some stuff on top of her car including her phone. Needless to say, she forgot her phone on top of her car and drove all the way home from work. When she got home and realized what she had done, she called her phone and much to her surprise a lady answered it, and explained how she found it while walking her dogs only 2 blocks away from my sister-in-law's house. My sister-in-law met the lady to pick up her phone and found the glass to be in perfect condition and only a scratch and small dent on the side where the phone likely made impact when it fell.
    evq.003 - More intelligent than the average *****!

"If you can't spot the crazy person on the bus, it's you."
    funkylogik likes this.

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

I see....so...we can have defective phones....but not defective screens....

lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Android Central Forums
    defective keys?

GT-I9300, UK
    jroc and MangoPowah like this.

Global Posts
    1,371 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock unrooted

To the OP, I'm confused. You thought that the screen couldn't be scratched right? You even went to get a replacement even tho scratches aren't covered under anything except the 14 day policy, yet you bought a screen protector. Why? You use the argument left and right that your xxx phone lasted y years without a scratch so why bother with a protector now?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    4G LTE Thunderbolt
    Thanked by:

I think there is a bad batch. I got my phone month ago put screen protector on it next day.
    Week later.I got anti glare screen protector so took off old one. Once taken off, I noticed
    2 line scratches and like tons of micro scratches in center of screen. Wth. My phone is always in my
    Pocket by itself. Never any keys or anything in my pocket yet it scratched. Yet 2 of my coworker has had the phone
    Since day one without screen protector and they don't have any scratches? ? LAME
    funkylogik likes this.

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

i used windoline (glass cleaner) on mine yday and gave it the best clean ever then examined it with reading glasses on from every angle and theres not one scratch (5month old phone) (though the bezel and back plate are dented and scratched)
    has anyone noticed a "scratch" post from someone using the international version? i havent....

GT-I9300, UK

Global Posts
    1,797 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Bond32 View Post
    To the OP, I'm confused. You thought that the screen couldn't be scratched right? You even went to get a replacement even tho scratches aren't covered under anything except the 14 day policy, yet you bought a screen protector. Why? You use the argument left and right that your xxx phone lasted y years without a scratch so why bother with a protector now?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Tell'em man.!

Sent from my awesome HTC one x(:

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

he's lost faith in the gg2 quality on the s3?

GT-I9300, UK

Ive had a bad experiance with gg2 ive previously had a galaxy s1 and s2 for 1 year each naked with no scratches. My amd my girlfriend both got note 2s and we both were careful with them keeping them in pockets with nothing else. After a few weeks we both had scratches on are screens. Then I droped my phone 12 inches outside while crouched down and the screen just shattered. I phoned up samsung they dont want to know just kept giving my the number for a repair centre. Phoned the repair centre and it's 250for a new screen what a joke. I know for a fact that it is a bad batch of glass the phone is not fit for purpose

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Scott1 View Post
    Ive had a bad experiance with gg2 ive previously had a galaxy s1 and s2 for 1 year each naked with no scratches. My amd my girlfriend both got note 2s and we both were careful with them keeping them in pockets with nothing else. After a few weeks we both had scratches on are screens. Then I droped my phone 12 inches outside while crouched down and the screen just shattered. I phoned up samsung they dont want to know just kept giving my the number for a repair centre. Phoned the repair centre and it's 250for a new screen what a joke. I know for a fact that it is a bad batch of glass the phone is not fit for purpose
    Or maybe don't drop your phone onto the ground. Gorilla glass is not, not has it ever been, scratch proof or break proof. It is scratch resistant, but even that has its limits.

And you don't 'know for a fact'. You know your own anecdotal evidence, which means very little in the grand scheme of things.

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

Or maybe don't drop your phone onto the ground. Gorilla glass is not, not has it ever been, scratch proof or break proof. It is scratch resistant, but even that has its limits.

And you don't 'know for a fact'. You know your own anecdotal evidence, which means very little in the grand scheme of things.
    hardly helpful bro

point we should all be making is some gg2 is more equal than others :thumbup:

GT-I9300, UK
    badbrad17 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by funkylogik View Post
    hardly helpful bro

point we should all be making is some gg2 is more equal than others :thumbup:

No less helpful than what he posted.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

My SGS2 is a year old and not a scratch. I'm not crazy about it but am careful. The screen still looks perfect.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4

There is ABSOLUTELY subpar gorilla glass out there, and a good lawyer needs to start a class action lawsuit for numerous devices with bad gorilla glass. We have three motoactv watches ..one shattered completely and we should be reimbursed as the others have been thru hell and stood up well. Also one galaxy note 2 with cracks in screen..other one my husband has is extremely durable while mine is very easily scrat hed. Want reimbursement now. How do we start a lawsuit for damages?
    Thanked by:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast