Battery Issues....S3/iphone

joyfulmom2

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Ok I have always been an iphone user so I know the ins and outs but I have decided to make the jump and get the S3 and just have a question about the battery. When I had my iphone I didn't have to worry about the battery, didn't have to worry about constantly shutting down apps. With the S3 I am always having to keep an eye on the battery and closing the apps every time I use them. Can someone explain to me what the difference is? What can I do about the battery issue so that I can enjoy the phone with out being on the edge. Not wanting to compare the two phones just trying to understand and enjoy.

Thanks.

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Me personally, I turn off my data connection whenever Its not in use. Itll save quite a bit of battery and I always have my brightness at 50% ish if its not a super sunny day. (Gotta love North Carolina lol)

Sent from my S3:)

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
As the Monkey said - the best way to manage your battery life is by doing the following:
1. Manage your mobile data/WiFi connections - WiFi is the more efficient connection if it's available; if you don't actually need a data connection at the moment just turn them both off until you do.
2. Turn down your screen brightness to the lowest level you find the device usable at - that's the next biggest battery hog.
3. Forget all that stuff about managing applications - unless you have a runaway application, the OS will take care of shutting down applications if/when it needs to.
On a typical day you should be able to get 4-5 hours of screen on time; 10 hours of average use (with, say, 3 hours of screen time). If that's not good enough and if you're still in your 14 day turn-in period, you can give the iPhone 5 a shot.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Download an app called automateit and make a rule so that if you turn off your screen, your mobile data comes off and make another rule so that when you turn it on, mobile data comes back on

I used to use physical buttons, and then I found button savior
-S. T. C

Sent from my rooted, debloated CM10 jelly bean 4.1.2 Samsung Galaxy S3 #LikeABo$$

lesorkim

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
You could always get a phone with a much smaller screen that is not as high resolution and not as bright. Also if this other phone had fewer applications and a lot less flexiblility for working with other apps that would probably help. Also, a thicker phone with more room for battery. Perhaps an iPhone3?? (Just having a little fun with cha) :)

joyfulmom2

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the advice.............I have basically tried these things that ya mentioned. I want to like this phone and enjoy but learning all this things is just a little frustrating............lol. I wish there was a step by step guide out there.......lol.

kenyee

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Two apps that I find useful: Auto Brightness (lets you configure the auto brightness w/ a curve so you can set the minimum you can want better than the stock app), and Llamma (so you can have it automatically turn off wireless when you leave Home or Work....you can also tell llama to shut off your wifi or data at night, etc.). Every little bit helps. The screen sucks up the most juice followed by the antennas, then by sloppy apps so try to minimize the number of apps you have loaded...

caferacer99

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
This is my only real issue with the SG3 after switching from the Iphone. If I don't plug the SG3 in at work the battery won't last until bedtime. If I spend any time reading Kindle or news apps or playing a game, the battery won't last until dinner. What I did then and I do now is plug the phone in at the office while I'm listening to Pandora or whatever.

I have taken all the advice given in this and other threads, so I'm doing what I can to prolong it. I'm not so much complaining about the battery life as about worrying about battery life, lol.

My Iphone would last about the same really, maybe a bit longer. The difference is I never worried about it. Now I'm constantly thinking about shutting off wifi and bluetooth and killing apps. I wish I could just forget about it. I think I'll shut off the "percentage" on my battery meter and take the battery management widget off my home screen. They just make me think about the battery too much.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
As a previous iphoner, I too have experienced (in just my first two weeks) much of the same battery anxiety, as all you iPhone-to-GS3'ers above. :-\
I guess that's the price we have to pay . . .for the bigger (juice-eating) display, and what seems like more apps always running in the background.

But I for one, just passed my 14-day return window, and decided to keep the GS3. Mostly, due to the big bright display. But also because, well, it's just plain funner to use. ;)

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
As the Monkey said - the best way to manage your battery life is by doing the following:
1. Manage your mobile data/WiFi connections - WiFi is the more efficient connection if it's available; if you don't actually need a data connection at the moment just turn them both off until you do.
2. Turn down your screen brightness to the lowest level you find the device usable at - that's the next biggest battery hog.
3. Forget all that stuff about managing applications - unless you have a runaway application, the OS will take care of shutting down applications if/when it needs to.
On a typical day you should be able to get 4-5 hours of screen on time; 10 hours of average use (with, say, 3 hours of screen time). If that's not good enough and if you're still in your 14 day turn-in period, you can give the iPhone 5 a shot.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

"The monkey" lol. But thats my typical usage too, about 3hrs of screen time with about 10-15hrz of battery.

Sent from my S3:)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci