Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Severe, extreme, and amber alerts

Does anyone know who issues the alerts that are sent through the text application? I like having them on but I don't get them consistently.

Default Re: Severe, extreme, and amber alerts

To toggle: open up Messenger, press Menu, than Settings, scroll down to Emergency Alerts, uncheck everything.

As far as NOT receiving them consistently, isn't that a good thing? Lol
    Doesn't sound like an issue, you should be happy your life's not in jeopardy. There's nothing wrong with your device.

Sent From My Rooted/Modded SGSIII - If I've helped you please click 'Thanks'!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Severe, extreme, and amber alerts-uploadfromtaptalk1351533453858.jpg  
    funkylogik likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

We're right in the path of the hurricane and I haven't gotten an alert. I don't view that as good. All Weather sites have alerts but the messages app hasn't sent anything.

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

i didnt even know these existed.
    good luck and take care everyone in the path xx

(keep your phone on charge lol)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    GT-I9300, UK

To the OP, I believe in addition to enabling those features on the phone, you also have to sign up/register your phone number on the state and/or county websites and request to be added to such alerts. That's what I had to do for the wild fire here in Colorado Springs this past summer.
    evq.003 - More intelligent than the average *****!

"If you can't spot the crazy person on the bus, it's you."
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

When Chicago had a tornado warning last month I got a message on my phone with a siren notification scared the hell out me thought we was getting one for real

Sent from my White Epic 4g Touch rockin Jellybean using Tapatalk 2
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I have received alerts in the past. Just not recently. I just downloaded the weather channel app and enabled alerts.

Quote Originally Posted by jaj6503 View Post
    To toggle: open up Messenger, press Menu, than Settings, scroll down to Emergency Alerts, uncheck everything.

As far as NOT receiving them consistently, isn't that a good thing? Lol
    Doesn't sound like an issue, you should be happy your life's not in jeopardy. There's nothing wrong with your device.

Interesting that "Presidential Alerts" cannot be disabled.

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

guessing this is just a US thing lol?

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    GT-I9300, UK

I am in NYC and have received the alert message 3 times today. Not only do you get the message, but as well as a emergency alert tone.

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

whens she due to hit nyc?

GT-I9300, UK

Only certain alerts are included in this program (for now). As far as weather goes, only Tornado warnings (issued directly from the National Weather Service) will be received through this system. Emergency messages from local authorities will also be received as well as Presidential emergency messages. I'm not sure how widespread usage of this features is, but there is an effort amongst the weather community to increase the products that are disseminated in this method. Part of the hesitation is due to the fact that not everyone is going to appreciate receiving them and we have to find a balance between warning for some level of imminent danger vs. annoying people.

More info from:
    Wireless Emergency Alerts FAQ - Consumers
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by pobs123 View Post
    Interesting that "Presidential Alerts" cannot be disabled.
    Should there be a catastrophic event that the president deems worthy enough to warn US citizens of directly via their smartphones, I would like to receive said warning Lol.

Vagrant_1 and funkylogik like this.

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

Quote Originally Posted by jaj6503 View Post
    Should there be a catastrophic event that the president deems worthy enough to warn US citizens of directly via their smartphones, I would like to receive said warning Lol.

+1

GT-I9300, UK

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyshinta View Post
    I have received alerts in the past. Just not recently. I just downloaded the weather channel app and enabled alerts.
    I also haven't received those messages as of late

I used to use physical buttons, and then I found button savior
    -S. T. C

Sent from my rooted, debloated CM10 jelly bean 4.1.2 Samsung Galaxy S3 #LikeABo$$
    Android is a tune up sports car with custom interior, sound system, and IOS is a stock model benz

I use Android, because unlike IOS, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not infinitely cluttered homescreens

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

u in the east Chaos mate?
    watchin CNN justnow (not my usual news channel choice lol but i doubt RT or Al Jazeera will be covering Sandy much lol)

GT-I9300, UK

ROM
    cm10

I live in south jersey and I got all of the alerts , maybe its cause I rooted my phone and put cm10 on it and with the new Google now that's just whatit does
    geekymcfly likes this.

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

fs these VTs on CNN are mental.. u just dont expect something so extreme in NY... (well, extreme nature..)

GT-I9300, UK

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

I'm in nyc and have the Att S3. But do not have this option under the settings in the messaging app. Does anyone have an idea as to why?

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

Quote Originally Posted by DeLeonR View Post
    I'm in nyc and have the Att S3. But do not have this option under the settings in the messaging app. Does anyone have an idea as to why?
    just look out the window! (sorry bad joke man)

GT-I9300, UK

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts

I am also using an at&t S3 and do not have an option under settings in the Messaging App for these kinds of alerts.

Quote Originally Posted by funkylogik View Post
    just look out the window! (sorry bad joke man)

Quote Originally Posted by funkylogik View Post
    u in the east Chaos mate?
    watchin CNN justnow (not my usual news channel choice lol but i doubt RT or Al Jazeera will be covering Sandy much lol)

Yea, im in NY

I didn't lose power or anything, this storm was overated

-S. T. C

Sent from my rooted, debloated CM10 jelly bean 4.1.2 Samsung Galaxy S3 #LikeABo$$
    Android is a tune up sports car with custom interior, sound system, and IOS is a stock model benz

I use Android, because unlike IOS, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not infinitely cluttered homescreens
    funkylogik likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyshinta View Post
    We're right in the path of the hurricane and I haven't gotten an alert. I don't view that as good. All Weather sites have alerts but the messages app hasn't sent anything.
    So you had no idea it was coming? Dang! I hope the alerts on TV, Radio and the interwebs notified you in time and you didn't have to wait for everyone in the country to let you know what was going on.
    funkylogik likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by thatmetaldude View Post
    I live in south jersey and I got all of the alerts , maybe its cause I rooted my phone and put cm10 on it and with the new Google now that's just whatit does
    That's different, he's talking about text alerts, us cm10 users have been getting those annoying Google Now alerts and no texts

-S. T. C

25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Quote Originally Posted by BroRob View Post
    So you had no idea it was coming? Dang! I hope the alerts on TV, Radio and the interwebs notified you in time and you didn't have to wait for everyone in the country to let you know what was going on.
    Yes thank you rob that was definitely helpful. Of course I knew about the storm. My point was I didn't get any alerts even for something so huge. So in the future when I'm out and there is a severe weather alert I'm not sure I'll get it. Not just a hurricane. But again thanks for the contribution.
    funkylogik likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast