S3 not recognised as a media device

daniboy1_2_3

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Hi there, can anybody help me get my samsung galaxy S3 to be recognisable to a pc as a media device rather than just a camera. When i plug it into the pc it sees a camera. I have set the phone to be recognised as a media device with no joy. I can access all the menus in the phone it seems on the pc but cant transfer any media which is very frustrating. ANy help appreciated, thanks.

geekymcfly

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Update the drivers

"all animals are created equal but some animals are more equal than others" animal bylaws- animal farm

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Use Wifi File Explorer and never look back.

Sent From My Rooted/Modded SGSIII - If I've helped you please click 'Thanks'!

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Use Wifi File Explorer and never look back.

does that work with a wifi laptop and wifi phone but no home broadband or wireless router?
(is that my stupidest question yet?) :)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
does that work with a wifi laptop and wifi phone but no home broadband or wireless router?
(is that my stupidest question yet?) :)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

Not a stupid question dude, but yes you do in fact need an active router/modem.

drmaf894c

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
To the OP when your phone is plugged in to the computer. Drop down your notification Window and there should be an option to switch from camera to media device. I'm pretty sure that is how. On my old dinc there used to be many options for charge only, mass storage etc. Now there is only camera and media device.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Android Central Forums

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
What about WiFi Direct? I haven't tried it, but the phone supports it: Settings -> More settings then enable Wi-Fi Direct

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

Ceetar

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
I only have this problem on non Windows 7 computers. I tried installing the drivers on the other one, but it just wouldn't take. (but yeah, first pull down the drop down on your phone for and switch from camera to media) That wifi file explorer is probably your best bet though. Or an actual card reader and popping out the SD card if you store everything there.

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi there, can anybody help me get my samsung galaxy S3 to be recognisable to a pc as a media device rather than just a camera. When i plug it into the pc it sees a camera. I have set the phone to be recognised as a media device with no joy. I can access all the menus in the phone it seems on the pc but cant transfer any media which is very frustrating. ANy help appreciated, thanks.

Update the drivers

"all animals are created equal but some animals are more equal than others" animal bylaws- animal farm

To the OP when your phone is plugged in to the computer. Drop down your notification Window and there should be an option to switch from camera to media device. I'm pretty sure that is how. On my old dinc there used to be many options for charge only, mass storage etc. Now there is only camera and media device.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Android Central Forums

I only have this problem on non Windows 7 computers. I tried installing the drivers on the other one, but it just wouldn't take. (but yeah, first pull down the drop down on your phone for and switch from camera to media) That wifi file explorer is probably your best bet though. Or an actual card reader and popping out the SD card if you store everything there.

I have two different computers - one running XP, the other running Windows 7. Neither will recognize the device AT ALL, as ANYTHING. I get the error message popup from both computers, "USB Device Not Recognized." I've downloaded and installed the device drivers from Samsung on both computers, downloaded and installed the latest Kies app (with drivers) on both computers. I get no notification on the pulldown screen at all - nothing about a camera or a media device. Just the error popup on the computer. I'm about to tear my hair out! Any other suggestions here? Stock, unrooted AT&T S3.

Something Creative

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Did you try it with developer options both clicked on and clicked off? That might work.

Edit: I meant USB debugging in developer options

Last edited:

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Did you try it with developer options both clicked on and clicked off? That might work.

Edit: I meant USB debugging in developer options

Hadn't - but just did, turned on USB debugging (it had been off-unchecked) and plugged it in again - same thing, no notifications at all on the phone, error message popup on the PC.

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Hadn't - but just did, turned on USB debugging (it had been off-unchecked) and plugged it in again - same thing, no notifications at all on the phone, error message popup on the PC.

Have you checked to see if in the "Device Manager" on your PC there aren't any issues with the drivers? Have you ruled out a bad cable? Also, try a different USB port (one in the back, not the front).

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Have you checked to see if in the "Device Manager" on your PC there aren't any issues with the drivers? Have you ruled out a bad cable? Also, try a different USB port (one in the back, not the front).

Been away a few days... Device manager shows no problems with any devices, all operating properly, in particular the USB ports. Have tried different cables, different USB ports, even different computers! Laptop on Win7, desktop on XP. Exactly the same results no matter what. Additionally, same ports on same computers using same cables all recognize and work just great with my wife's BlackBerry.