LTE is the battery culprit

spartanrob1

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
For me, LTE seems to be the issue with my battery. It appears that LTE is very inconsistent in my area. I've played around with Juice Defender with inconsistent results but turning off LTE appears to be the solution for me. on Tuesday, I had no problem making it through the day with plenty to spare. Yesterday, with LTE back on, It was a struggle.

Today, i'm going back to LTE off to confirm my findings and if all is good, tomorrow I will turn off JD to see what happens (although this may wait until Monday as i'm traveling this weekend and need as much battery as possible as I won't have power readily available)

trucky

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed the very same thing. LTE/4G was turned on in the Asheville area a few days ago and my battery began to plummet. I went back to CDMA/1X and things were normal again. Over the next few days I've confirmed that the culprit really is the LTE/4G setting. I turn it on now only if I need to download something and don't have WiFi available at the time.

trucky

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Further, I don't seem to get consistent results when I do switch back and forth. Sometimes it seems to change quickly, other times it will take a few minutes. I bet there's someone out there who has or can make a toggle to manage this.

weblou

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
For LTE was 100% a battery culprit. I still leave it on but in the office and at my house i turn wifi on
That alone gives me 20/30% more battery
I love the speed of LTE but man does it kill the battery

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Glad i'm not the only one. Now, if there were only and easier way to switch back and fourth

I have to ask a probably dumb question, how do you even turn it off/on?

My old Thunderbolt was the same. I normally used WiFi or 3G to save battery, only turned on 4G when I needed the speed.

trucky

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I have to ask a probably dumb question, how do you even turn it off/on?

My old Thunderbolt was the same. I normally used WiFi or 3G to save battery, only turned on 4G when I needed the speed.

From your Home screen, menu to Settings, More Settings, Mobile Networks, Network Mode...

spartanrob1

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Barely pop out SIM card with out taking out battery
Open up phone
Dial *#2263#
Select WCDMA all
Pop sim card in
Hold power button down
Hit restart
This will put u on HSPA+
If u want edge select GSM
To revert back to normal select Automatic
And for all lte select lte

You must always select all bands

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
From your Home screen, menu to Settings, More Settings, Mobile Networks, Network Mode...
Thanks for that, trucky ;), but at Settings > More settings > Mobile networks... I only have: 'Use packet data' & 'Access point names' & 'Network operators'.
But no 'Network mode'. I'm w/ AT&T though. You must have 'Network mode' with your USCC then?

Barely pop out SIM card with out taking out battery
Open up phone
Dial *#2263#
Select WCDMA all
Pop sim card in
Hold power button down
Hit restart
This will put u on HSPA+
If u want edge select GSM
To revert back to normal select Automatic
And for all lte select lte

You must always select all bands
So, spartanrob1 (a fellow Michiganer? ;) ), is that the fastest/only way to switch with AT&T? :(

Btw . . . what is: 'Use packet data'? :confused: And how is it different from: 'Mobile data' under Settings > Data usage?

trucky

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for that, trucky ;), but at Settings > More settings > Mobile networks... I only have: 'Use packet data' & 'Access point names' & 'Network operators'.
But no 'Network mode'. I'm w/ AT&T though. You must have 'Network mode' with your USCC then?

Yeah, I'm USCC. Sorry it's not as simple for you.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
packet data is gprs/2g/3g
someone should really make a 4g(LTE) toggle.
it seems a shame some of you have the dual core but cant use LTE when you could have had the quad core with no LTE.
maybe the signal will improve in your area.
personaly id only turn on LTE when up/downloading big files like movies.
HSPA+ is fast enough for browsing imo...

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
faret