First Android, New Galaxy SIII, Lots of Questions!

snipersendit

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Hello all,

I'm new to Android, I've been an iPhone user since the iPhone came out so needless to say I'm re-learning how to use a smartphone. I love the Galaxy and for the most part I've got it figured out. I do however, have a few specific questions.

1. Wireless Charging: I am aware Samsung has a wireless charger that requires you add a special case and use their station. What I'm wondering is, is there another alternative, maybe a special battery that works with aftermarket charge stations?

2. Computer Sync: I use a MacBook and it was easy to sync my iPhone, any recommendations on programs to use to sync my Android to my iTunes and iPhoto? Also, I would like to transfer files from my external hard drive onto my Galaxy.

3. Apps/Accessories: I downloaded a task killer already but are there any other must have apps I should look into that increase performance, look and productivity?

Thank you in advance for your replies. ;)

SteveB2

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
1. You could, but I doubt it will be as clean a look as the official battery.

2. I think alot of people us double twist.

3. Delete that sucker right now! There is no need for a task killer. Search the forums or look on AC for why. BIG no-no these days.

Enjoy your phone!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Livia.

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
To transfer files from your external hard drive, you can buy a usb otg adapter and connect it directly to your phone.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

trucky

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Re: First Android, New Galaxy S3, Lots of Questions!

1. Wireless Charging: I am aware Samsung has a wireless charger that requires you add a special case and use their station. What I'm wondering is, is there another alternative, maybe a special battery that works with aftermarket charge stations?

There's a few people around who are making an aftermarket wireless charging solution. You can save money by doing it yourself with simple parts and steps. Here's one complete kit that's out there now:

Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300 Wireless Charge Touch Stone Blue | eBay

beanctr10

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
I saw over on WebOS today that there is a cover you can buy for your SG3 if you already have a touchstone charger. Going to pick one up and see if it really works

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site

Hello all,

I'm new to Android, I've been an iPhone user since the iPhone came out so needless to say I'm re-learning how to use a smartphone. I love the Galaxy and for the most part I've got it figured out. I do however, have a few specific questions.

2. Computer Sync: I use a MacBook and it was easy to sync my iPhone, any recommendations on programs to use to sync my Android to my iTunes and iPhoto? Also, I would like to transfer files from my external hard drive onto my Galaxy.

3. Apps/Accessories: I downloaded a task killer already but are there any other must have apps I should look into that increase performance, look and productivity?

Thank you in advance for your replies. ;)
1) I'm new to android too, so can't help ya w/ the wireless charging.

2) I've been using iSyncr, and so far, it's been working pretty good. They also have great customer service, and have replied to all my emails within a day. As well, when I plug the GS3 into my computer, my GS3 is recognized as a: SGH-I747 (AT&T) drive, with both internal SD (phone) and external SD (card) sub-drives under, where I can simply drag & drop files back & forth from computer to phone, and from phone to computer; (not sure if your MacBook is similar).

3) An AT&T corp. store manager told me, last week, that those 'task killer(s)' can actually corrupt some of the phones protocols & system files. :eek:

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

Most of your questions have been answered already by some helpful members here. I will only add that after you have had some time to play around with your new S3 and take in Touchwiz and what it has to offer, take a look at a "Launcher" like Nova which I use or any other launcher which brings added "Refinement" features to your S3. Oh, and Welcome aboard!!

:D:D

trucky

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site

I got rid of the task killer. Bummer I spent 5 bucks on it.

One good thing about forums like this and many others... Some else has already tried that app you think you can't live without. Do some poking around and ask a few questions before you pull the trigger. I guarantee you get some pretty good information to help guide your droid future...

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
another one for no auto-task killer :)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
For synching to the computer, you could try AirDroid or WiFi File Explorer to transfer files over your wifi connection. I use a Mac, too, and it's infuriating that the computer and phone don't play nice together.

I ended up just spending the $50 upgrade fee for Parallels so I can run Windows on the Mac and connect the phone that way. It was worth the $50 for the lower stress levels.

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Phone hasn't arrived yet so forgive my noob questions. What is a task killer? And the ATT rep says that Samsung has a built in app for syncing stuff from iTunes called Kies. Anyone tried it and can offer opinions on Kies?

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Also I used and LOVED Motion X GPS Drive on the iPhone but sadly they have not made a similar app for Android. Anyone have any ideas for an app like this? That is one app and it's features I will miss greatly!!

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Phone hasn't arrived yet so forgive my noob questions. What is a task killer? And the ATT rep says that Samsung has a built in app for syncing stuff from iTunes called Kies. Anyone tried it and can offer opinions on Kies?

A Task Killer is an app that allows you to selectively quit/kill open apps and processes. Android 2.1 and older had a tough time "letting go" of running apps, so a lot of task killers came out to help you kill processes and free up memory. But Android has gotten much better with ending processes on its own. Task Killers are no longer necessary and can do more to bork your phone than help it. Avoid task killers.

The Kies application is horrendous. But it seems like Kies Air works. Just launch the app, tap the Start button and type the IP address it gives into your computer web browser. Looks like it works just like WiFi File Explorer and Airdroid. I haven't synced anything from iTunes, though...I just copied over the music files I wanted.

geekymcfly

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I guess when it comes time to transfer music and stuff from iTunes to the gs3 ill be back to ask how.

It's easy. Just find the folder with your music files and Drag them straight over.

"all animals are created equal but some animals are more equal than others" animal bylaws- animal farm

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
With iTunes it's not that easy. iTunes tends to squirrel away music files to some hidden folder and then even if you do find them Apple has wrapped them in some stupid DRM. It's weird though some of the songs I have been able to pull in the past and they play fine others get caught in the web of DRM.

geekymcfly

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
With iTunes it's not that easy. iTunes tends to squirrel away music files to some hidden folder and then even if you do find them Apple has wrapped them in some stupid DRM. It's weird though some of the songs I have been able to pull in the past and they play fine others get caught in the web of DRM.

That music folder isn't hidden and it's not hard to find. I understand you're frustration with it but it's quite easy.

"all animals are created equal but some animals are more equal than others" animal bylaws- animal farm

EndlessDissent

May 14, 2012
Visit site

This -->

That music folder isn't hidden and it's not hard to find. I understand you're frustration with it but it's quite easy.

It's been a while since I used iTunes (at least 4 years), and I only ever used it as a music manager, not as an interface for the iTunes store or syncing any iProducts, but if I remember correctly, you can set exactly where you want to store all your music or anything else. And I'm pretty sure it's on the main page of the iTunes settings. Unless Apple changed that stuff (which wouldn't actually surprise me), the folder is definitely not hidden at all.

As for DRM, didn't Apple give up on DRM in the iTunes store years ago? Aren't they using non-DRM mp3s now?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon