Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    272 Global Posts

Default Can I use my Verizon GS3 on T-Mobile ????

Not happy with Verizon and want switch to T-Mobile with my "black" Verizon GS3,,, that's the only reason I went with Verizon was to get the black GS3.

Do I need to unlock my GS3 for use on TM, or can I just swap SIM cards like can be done with the iphone 5 going from Verizon to TM.

Thanks in advance

Cheers
    Davyo

Global Posts
    572 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.1.2 Stock Rooted

Default Re: Can I use my Verizon GS3 on T-Mobile ????

Verizon is CDMA and TMobile is GSM. Different technologies, will not work.

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts

No you can't. You can only use AT&T phones on t mobile

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

The soon-to-be-released LG Nexus 4 would be a great choice for you since it isn't available on Verizon anyway and will work on T-Mobile. And it's available in black.
    Hurry, return your SGSIII before the 14 day period, pay the restocking fee (and the ETF if necessary) and show Verizon your backside.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

Wont work
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    272 Global Posts

All the answers to my question were as I thought they would be,,,,,,, the reason I was asking is the Verizon iPhone 5 can be used with T-Mobile by just popping in a TM SIM card, don't even need to jailbreak the Verizon iPhone 5 to use it with TM,,,,,,, I was just wondering if the same could be done with the Verizon GS3.

I did find it a surprise to find out the CDMA Verizon iPhone 5 could be used on TM's GSM network,,,,, anyone know how that works

Cheers
    Davyo

Quote Originally Posted by Davyo View Post
    All the answers to my question were as I thought they would be,,,,,,, the reason I was asking is the Verizon iPhone 5 can be used with T-Mobile by just popping in a TM SIM card, don't even need to jailbreak the Verizon iPhone 5 to use it with TM,,,,,,, I was just wondering if the same could be done with the Verizon GS3.

I did find it a surprise to find out the CDMA Verizon iPhone 5 could be used on TM's GSM network,,,,, anyone know how that works

Cheers
    Davyo
    I'm sure you find that out but I believe the Verizon s3 is lte capable and that requires a sim if I'm correct.

"all animals are created equal but some animals are more equal than others" animal bylaws- animal farm

Quote Originally Posted by Davyo View Post
    Not happy with Verizon and want switch to T-Mobile with my "black" Verizon GS3,,, that's the only reason I went with Verizon was to get the black GS3.

Do I need to unlock my GS3 for use on TM, or can I just swap SIM cards like can be done with the iphone 5 going from Verizon to TM.

Thanks in advance

Cheers
    Davyo
    I realize everyone's priorities are different but I find it amazing that you chose a carrier based on the color of your phone.

Well iPhones work on all networks because they are "World Phones" since the 4S. Basically they can work on CDMA and GSM networks. The S3 is not based the same way.

Do you use a sim card for verizon phones? Is there a slot? If there is no slot then it will not work.

If there is a slot it may work. But you wouldnt be able to use LTE (waste of battery) and not abke to fully use the TMo 4G

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    272 Global Posts

Yep,,,,,,,my black Verizon GS3 needed and used a micro SIM card.

Cheers
    Davyo

you can use it for any company the verizone gs3
    im using it for t mobile
    Margaret Rau likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by yandier View Post
    you can use it for any company the verizone gs3
    im using it for t mobile
    Really? For calls? To the best of my knowledge the Verizon GS3 doesn't have a GSM radio. Verizon doesn't list it as a world phone, either.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,611 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

Lte is gsm so yes there is a can radio in it. That is why u need a sim. IPhone 5has a multi band radio.sprint is the only iphone5 locked down.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Really? For calls? To the best of my knowledge the Verizon GS3 doesn't have a GSM radio. Verizon doesn't list it as a world phone, either.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    Google Nexus Class Devices (Nexus7, Nexus4, Galaxy Nexus lte VZW)...@moosc on twitter ...
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Global Posts
    272 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by moosc View Post
    Lte is gsm so yes there is a can radio in it. That is why u need a sim. IPhone 5has a multi band radio.sprint is the only iphone5 locked down.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

What is a "can" radio ?

Cheers
    Davyo

Quote Originally Posted by moosc View Post
    The post I responded to was referring to a Verizon GS3, not an iPhone. Verizon uses LTE only for data, not voice, so I'm somewhat skeptical that, and very surprised if, the VZW GS3 will makes calls on a GSM network.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.

I am in nigeria right now using my veizon GS3 on the GSM networks they have there. The GS3 is a world phone. You will not be able to use it on LTE networks around the world though. Only Verizon.
    Thanked by:
    Olusegun Odutayo likes this.

Global Posts
    11,780 Global Posts
    ROM
    GS3: CleanROM / N4: AOKP

You can use the Verizon GSIII with a GSM network. I tested my T-Mobile SIM card with my rooted GSIII a couple of weeks ago. Voice, SMS, MMS and data all worked (although data was Edge only). Verizon locks down the APN menus so root is required to add the proper settings for data and MMS to work. I've seen reports that 3G data works with AT&T, but haven't confirmed that myself.

Sent from my SGSIII
    bigwilly907 likes this.

Smile Re: Can I use my Verizon GS3 on T-Mobile ????

Hi, dear i just root my Verizon Galaxy S3 do i need to unlock as if i want to use it for T-Mobile ?
    plz reply

- - - Updated - - -

Hi, dear i just root my Verizon Galaxy S3 do i need to unlock as if i want to use it for T-Mobile ?
    plz reply

Buddy of mine gave me his galaxy s 3 but he had verizon wireless carrier and I have a t-mobile carrier I was wondering if anybody could help me out to use this phone with my sim card. Oh though I noticed its a micro sim and mine is a reg. Sim card. Someone help me ou this phone is hot and i want to be able to enjoy the phone. Thanks.

How did u do it?

Ok, so I activated three Verizon GS3's with T-Mobile and I can send and recieve calls & texts. BUT, for some reason I cannot use the data service. I called T-Mobile technical support and the said that there was no way to add T-Mobile's APN on to the phone so the data will not be able to be used on my smartphones. Can someone please help?!?!?!?!?

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lpinon87 View Post
    Ok, so I activated three Verizon GS3's with T-Mobile and I can send and recieve calls & texts. BUT, for some reason I cannot use the data service. I called T-Mobile technical support and the said that there was no way to add T-Mobile's APN on to the phone so the data will not be able to be used on my smartphones. Can someone please help?!?!?!?!?
    Why on gods green earth did you buy a phone from a CDMA carrier expecting it to work on a freaking gsm carrier.

Sent from my refrigerator

Quote Originally Posted by lpinon87 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nrm5110 View Post
    Why on gods green earth did you buy a phone from a CDMA carrier expecting it to work on a freaking gsm carrier.

Sent from my refrigerator
    This. Verizon runs on CDMA and Tmobile runs GSM. If you had an ATT S3 and tried Tmobile you would of had more luck .

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

I believe it will work. Verizon S3 is a global phone. They have sent an update to enable the capability. However, there is an outstanding issue right now, while call/text works in gsm, data is still not working yet due to a bug that disallow user from modifying APN
    Check this post https://community.verizonwireless.co...rt=70&tstart=0

Verizon s3 will work on T-Mobile voice, text MMS(need data), but u will only get edge for data.

What do to to make it work?
    1 rooted
    2 buy too apps from Google store
    3 change APN

Done!

If u need help search for galaxy3root.com this guy have all kind video and there one will help u to do all that.

- - - Updated - - -

Verizon s3 will work on T-Mobile voice, text MMS(need data), but u will only get edge for data.

What do to to make it work?
    1 rooted
    2 buy too apps from Google store
    3 change APN

Done!

If u need help search for galaxy3root.com this guy have all kind video and there one will help u to do all that.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast