Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Debate:What is the point of voice to text or any voice commands on a phone?

What's the point of voice to text if you have to manually activate it and manually hit the send button to send a message?

Not to mention half the damn time it doesn't recognize clear words and even after 2 repeats it still doesn't, forcing you to physically type it

I don't see the importance of any voice to text or any voice commands at all on any mobile device if you have to touch it to activate it

Wouldn't it be nice to look at your phone and say a command to make the screen come on and launch an app etc without ever having to touch the phone?

Maybe this day is coming soon, but for now, I just don't see the point if I have to open an app, and hit a button for the phone to start listening to me

Maybe one day we will just say a word that activates the listening command and the say another one to deactivate it so it doesn't constantly run when not needed, and then you can have a totally hands free experience, but for now, I just don't see the point of things like Google now or siri, they are just too inificient for my liking

What do you guys think? Do you talk to your phone? Vocie to text or anything? What changes would you like to see?

I used to use physical buttons, and then I found button savior
    -S. T. C

Sent from my rooted, debloated CM10 jelly bean 4.1.2 Samsung Galaxy S3 #LikeABo$$

Default Re: Debate:What is the point of voice to text or any voice commands on a phone?

I talk to mine all the time. I almost talk out all texts. knows every word I say. I sit next to a Brazilian at work and she uses it on her S2 and it works great on her phone as well.
    ("CEO - Android Central") was revoked from my signature. Guess they should edit you cannot joke in your signature either

Default Re: Debate:What is the point of voice to text or any voice commands on a phone?

A lot of people use it, I think some of them even ask you if you want to send and all you do is say Yes...I know Siri does it and so does S-Voice
    I personally use it sometimes when driving, but other than that I type....but when Google Now comes out, that may all change lol

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Bluetooth. Enough said!

Its in my car and you can have a head set.

I talk to my phone all the time, like I talk to the dog, cats and rats - I don't really expect them to talk back (wouldn't THAT scare the crap out of you?), and only the dog appears to listen.

I think you've been watching too much Star Trek... (Computer - order me up a cheese burger, fries and Coke. "I'm sorry, you do not have Level 5 clearance - request denied.")

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

ROM
    Intergalactic 2.4

Attempting to voice-text via s-voice is a trial in futility for me. However, it does prove mostly useful when voice dialing or asking for directions somewhere.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Well, most voice apps have a wake up command to start it (so you don't have to press a button).

Even the ones that you do have to press is one button press so it's not a big deal. Like I have to press one button to wake it up or start it, then I'm off and dictating. A lot easier in the car then trying to pull up the keyboard and typing out an email. I personally haven't had too much issue with it transcribing my voice, but I make sure to speak loudly and clearly and annunciate. Especially in the car where road noise will interfere with how it listens. If I'm at home, I have very little trouble with it.

And yes, S-Voice will "wake up" (you can even set a custom command to wake it up). My typical conversation to it goes something like this:
    Me: "Wakey Wakey Galaxy"
    S-Voice: "What can I help you With"
    Me: "Send a text to Amy (my wife). I'm running a bit late period. Do you want me to grab a pizza question mark"
    S-Voice: "Ok, here is your message" (with my message displayed)
    Me: "Send" (or "Cancel" if it's not right).
    S-Voice: "Ok, I'm sending your message. Ok, I sent your message"

Completely hands free. I also use a bluetooth headset which probably helps voice transcribing. I am anxious to get Google Now though, since it's obviously better.

With Google Now you can set it to wake up by saying Google, or whatever else you want to say. Uses more battery but getting closer to what you might be looking for. Now is out there for ICS if you look and is part of JellyBean.
    Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I never used S-voice but I do plan on getting a Bluetooth headset now so I can use Google voice. It is really nice not going to lie ... Google did a great job.

As most said I like it so I can text when driving so I don't have to take my eyes off the road.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by smooth4lyfe View Post
    A lot of people use it, I think some of them even ask you if you want to send and all you do is say Yes...I know Siri does it and so does S-Voice
    I personally use it sometimes when driving, but other than that I type....but when Google Now comes out, that may all change lol
    I've tried that with swiftkey and said send and nothing happens, lol

-S. T. C

Sent from my rooted, debloated CM10 jelly bean 4.1.2 Samsung Galaxy S3 #LikeABo$$
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by trucky View Post
    With Google Now you can set it to wake up by saying Google, or whatever else you want to say. Uses more battery but getting closer to what you might be looking for. Now is out there for ICS if you look and is part of JellyBean.
    Really? How? I have jelly bean

-S. T. C

12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by EvilMonkey View Post
    Well, most voice apps have a wake up command to start it (so you don't have to press a button).

Even the ones that you do have to press is one button press so it's not a big deal. Like I have to press one button to wake it up or start it, then I'm off and dictating. A lot easier in the car then trying to pull up the keyboard and typing out an email. I personally haven't had too much issue with it transcribing my voice, but I make sure to speak loudly and clearly and annunciate. Especially in the car where road noise will interfere with how it listens. If I'm at home, I have very little trouble with it.

And yes, S-Voice will "wake up" (you can even set a custom command to wake it up). My typical conversation to it goes something like this:
    Me: "Wakey Wakey Galaxy"
    S-Voice: "What can I help you With"
    Me: "Send a text to Amy (my wife). I'm running a bit late period. Do you want me to grab a pizza question mark"
    S-Voice: "Ok, here is your message" (with my message displayed)
    Me: "Send" (or "Cancel" if it's not right).
    S-Voice: "Ok, I'm sending your message. Ok, I sent your message"

Completely hands free. I also use a bluetooth headset which probably helps voice transcribing. I am anxious to get Google Now though, since it's obviously better.
    Really? I had no idea

Good thing I made this thread

But I no longer have s voice

-S. T. C

I use my voice to text for texting all the time. I don't think its a big deal to hit one key to get into the voice, and one key to send. That's still a whole lot less than hitting dozens or hundreds of letter keys by an overwhelming margin.

I've substituted Vlingo for S-Voice, and for me the accuracy has been much better since I've done that.

I don't really want a "wake up" command, because I don't want the battery drain associated with the phone constantly listening for the wakeup command.
    Longtime BlackBerry user, navigating my way through the Android forest,
    sometimes wishing for a better map!

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

ive NEVER used voice control in the past, partly coz im scottish, partly coz its useless but with google Now, i even have a voice shortcut on my main homescreen.
    asking "whats 20 UK pounds in US dollars", "whats 2000/square root of fifty", "whats on channel4 tonight" all save a lot of time and work flawlessly so +1 to Now voice

still nowhere near accurate enough for me to dictate a text though lol

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    GT-I9300, UK

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

spot the voice shortcut lol
    Debate:What is the point of voice to text or any voice commands on a phone?-uploadfromtaptalk1351893841122.jpg
    if anyone doesnt know how and is interested, just ask

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    GT-I9300, UK
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Quote Originally Posted by funkylogik View Post
    spot the voice shortcut lol
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1351893841122.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	44466
    if anyone doesnt know how and is interested, just ask

How did u do that?

I bet it's stupid minimal text or uccw, lol

-S. T. C

funkylogik likes this.

ROM
    Intergalactic 2.4

I personally have s-voice set to activate upon double-tap of the home screen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

nah mate Custom ICS Search widget, just make the box and "google" transparent, make the mic' whatever colour suits, add it then resize to as small as possible to avoid accidental touches
    activates voice as soon as u touch it

GT-I9300, UK
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Quote Originally Posted by funkylogik View Post
    nah mate Custom ICS Search widget, just make the box and "google" transparent, make the mic' whatever colour suits, add it then resize to as small as possible to avoid accidental touches
    activates voice as soon as u touch it

Lmao, u went through a lot for that

-S. T. C

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

meh took like a minute mate n i like how it looks like a badge on the droid, better without statusbar
    Debate:What is the point of voice to text or any voice commands on a phone?-uploadfromtaptalk1351899186523.jpg

GT-I9300, UK

I actually like the voice to text. I text my wife a lot and it gets frustrating always testing here back and forth. Just hit the mic button and viola. Recognition isn't always good but it's a simple fix for me. Better than typing the whole thing out.

"all animals are created equal but some animals are more equal than others" animal bylaws- animal farm

Quote Originally Posted by iCrank View Post
    I actually like the voice to text. I text my wife a lot and it gets frustrating always testing here back and forth. Just hit the mic button and viola. Recognition isn't always good but it's a simple fix for me. Better than typing the whole thing out.

"all animals are created equal but some animals are more equal than others" animal bylaws- animal farm
    I like the voice to text if I'm at a stop light..... but I don't do that often. I usually talk with speakerphone.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by hell_on_heels View Post
    I like the voice to text if I'm at a stop light..... but I don't do that often. I usually talk with speakerphone.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Android Central Forums
    I can understand but I hate speaking on the phone

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.1.2 Stock Rooted

I can dictate sms or email messages with near 100% accuracy. Very convienent if I am in the car. The more I use Google Now, the more I like it. It's great to just ask it a question instead of searching the web. It comes back with the answer faster than it would take to open up a browser, type in the question, and click on the link to figure out an answer.

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

Quote Originally Posted by iCrank View Post
    I can understand but I hate speaking on the phone

oh mate i f***n hate speakin on phone even with family, best m8s, fiance.... its like every bit of quietness stabs u in the nuts lol.
    my 15 pre-pay package is unlimited hspa+ data, 3000 txts, 300 mins and i usualy end up with like 250mins left lol, and thats just from ringin taxis

GT-I9300, UK
    geekymcfly likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast