Otterbox Defender Review

cyberchief

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Got my GS3 a couple weeks ago... and it was coming with a free Otterbox Defender. I am pretty @nal when it comes to protecting my phone... so I babied it for a week and a half until the OB came. I had the OB on my DX for a year and kept it in perfect condition. So... the new OB for my GS3 arrived the other day... and it stayed on my phone all of about 6 hours before I was disgusted enough to get rid of it. It was a bit tight-fitting around the phone itself.. which is fine... except the screen cover bubbled up off the GS3 screen. This really disappointed me. On my DX, this wasn't an issue... making the screen protector on the OB seem a part of the phone itself. It is an un-natural feeling having to press one screen down onto the other in order to interact with it. Between that and the difficulty in opening the case to get the phone out (broke one of the connecting points with my fingernail)... I have to say I am disappointed. Thank god it was a free case or I would likely be upset! Certainly not worth the $. Probably best to get the Otterbox commuter series and a screen protector... Oh well.

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Got my GS3 a couple weeks ago... and it was coming with a free Otterbox Defender. I am pretty @nal when it comes to protecting my phone... so I babied it for a week and a half until the OB came. I had the OB on my DX for a year and kept it in perfect condition. So... the new OB for my GS3 arrived the other day... and it stayed on my phone all of about 6 hours before I was disgusted enough to get rid of it. It was a bit tight-fitting around the phone itself.. which is fine... except the screen cover bubbled up off the GS3 screen. This really disappointed me. On my DX, this wasn't an issue... making the screen protector on the OB seem a part of the phone itself. It is an un-natural feeling having to press one screen down onto the other in order to interact with it. Between that and the difficulty in opening the case to get the phone out (broke one of the connecting points with my fingernail)... I have to say I am disappointed. Thank god it was a free case or I would likely be upset! Certainly not worth the $. Probably best to get the Otterbox commuter series and a screen protector... Oh well.

I keep an otterbox on all my smartphones,and a zagg screen protector. I ripped out my Ob's screen protector and replaced it with the zagg hd one,no problems what so ever.

Sent from my awesome HTC one x:)

geekymcfly

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I have two otterbox defenders (Grey/white & all black). I don't mind the case but I can't find a good reason to put it on my s3. It's well worth it and it's better to be safe than sorry. I had to learn the hard way.

"all animals are created equal but some animals are more equal than others" animal bylaws- animal farm

monkeydog

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I bought the Defender too and am going to return it. I have no doubt that my phone in well protected in it, but it triples the phone's thickness.I felt like I was holding a brick. Plus I felt like I had to mash the buttons to get them to work. I'd rather go naked and take my chances. Personal preference, obviously, YMMV.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
My polycarbonate screen "protector" is scratched so bad from work it's hard to see through in the light. Filed a warranty claim on it this morning, we'll see if it's approved. I don't mind the bulk, it actually makes it easier for me to hang on to. No issues with any pockets either. The only time I really have an issue is if I'm trying to move an app from one home screen to another. I don't do it often enough for it to bother me though. Already smashed one screen, not doing it a second time.

cyberchief

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't mind the thickness... that never bothered me. But you do have a point... completely forgot about that. Pressing the side buttons required a TON of extra effort. Really annoying. But, again, my main disappointment was with the screen protector bubbling off of the screen itself. I have since put on the Zagg screen protector and currently have a soft case on the outside.

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Just got an email confirming my order/warranty replacement has been shipped. Now that is customer service... on a Sunday too.... Although I guess it's technically Monday in China. Happy camper :D

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Android Central Forums

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
This is how "bad" the scratches are just so you have a reference. Pretty hard for me to see the screen in daylight, nighttime not so bad.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1352046449421.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352046449421.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 158

bassmig

May 25, 2012
Visit site
I have also taken off the OB screen protector. Mine was scratched and driving me crazy (I already had a screen protector and it was creating air bubbles which looked really bad). I also ended up with it for free, otherwise I would have opted for a commuter.

bobbyp5

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Exactly what I do. Rip the screen protector out and put a zagg on. I've been doing it forever. All my iphones and now my gs3

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately had an OB Defender on my last iPhone. Will never purchase or use one again. :two thumbs down:

Even though it protected my iPhone (dents & screen cracks, etc.) during 25+ drops onto the concrete, (that were all caused, btw, by the poorly designed OB Defender belt-clip holster not holding the case secure enough, so the slightest bump, or brush would actually knock the phone out of the holster, and I'd be standing there...watching it bounce across the concrete), the very same product design on the OB Defender that protects your phone, the hard plastic interior-part of the case, can also cause scratches & pit marks to your phones' finish.

When I took mine off (after 1.5 yrs), the inside of the OB Defender hard plastic case had made two deep scratches all the way through the iPhones' black paint finish, plus, the OB Defender case had let some sand/grit inside the back of the case, inline with the volume control rocker, and the sand/grit had left 12-15 little pit-marks on the phones finish, due again, to being caught between the phone and the OB Defender hard plastic case.

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Got my replacement today, get to keep the old one. If I trash the new one, I'll just get another warranty replacement. SOLD. I rarely use the belt clip,working out of a truck all day it's usually in my windshield mount...any other time, my jacket pocket is usually good enough.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
i prefer a flip case and no screen protector for my pocket, got a nice black gloss leather samsung one.
and a cheap grippy soft comfy one for at home :)
perfection :)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

gtgirl88

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
i love my defender.. no problems with the touch screen and I like that the volume keys are now stiffer.. before without the case the keys were to touchy.. and for the person who was complaining about the scratches on the screen protector i wouldnt complain cause if you wouldnt of had it.. that would of been your phones screen.

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I have had Otterboxes on all my phones. The one for the S3 has by far been the worse. The outer ring edges are way too high compared to others I have had. Makes it hard to use the browser quick controls. The rubber casing is warped on all four corners and no longer fits tight around the inside hard shell. Granted my replacement should arrive today. However, After two months of having it it should look like it was a year or so old.

newsman787

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Like Otterbox and have always used them for my iPhones. Mine on my S3 provides great protection, but the outside rubber case does not fit snuggly on the hard shell. There are gaps between the two parts. May have to call about a replacement.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

dwade62

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I've had my Defender since it was released. I've been very happy with it. However...

I recently noticed that if I shake the case I can feel the phone moving around inside the case. It's not a snug fit. When I pulled off the silicone cover I noticed that the on right side where the 2 plastic shells connect there is a slight gap. I can squeeze the shells together. I checked the case and the tabs seem to be intact, but it is loose on that side.

Anyone else have this issue. I've since removed the phone and put it back into my Seidio Convert. I don't like the fact the phone is not immobile inside the case. I'm curious if this is in the design, or if mine is defective/broke.

I'd like to hear from others before I contact Otterbox.

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I ripped out the screen protector of my Otterbox Defender case. Now my S3 has a dry screen protector on it.

It looks a lot better... however, the Otterbox Defender case now squeaks when I grab it. Without the built-in
screen protector, the upper plastic inner case has no integrity. I compared it to another Defender case that
still had the screen protector intact.(which has no squeak at all)

Does anyone have any solution to this problem? I love my Defender case but this squeaking is driving me
crazy.

Thanks!

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
i love my defender.. no problems with the touch screen and I like that the volume keys are now stiffer.. before without the case the keys were to touchy.. and for the person who was complaining about the scratches on the screen protector i wouldnt complain cause if you wouldnt of had it.. that would of been your phones screen.

This. When I had iPhones the defender series bulked up those phones horribly but they protected them and I never had an issue. Now with the GS3 the phone is thin as hell and the buttons are SUPER TOUCHY! The power button especially is just ridiculous. I think this defender case actually adds the least amount of bulk compared to the iPhone defender series and makes the buttons more usable. Now I'm not powering my phone on and off just by looking at it.