Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    71 Global Posts

Default Anyone going from GS3 to Nexus 4

I'm on At&t and have the GS3 and thinking of going to the Nexus 4.... Anyone else thinking of doing the same?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Default Re: Anyone going from GS3 to Nexus 4

Why downgrade your phone?

Review by a trusted Android guy, and yes it is hands on: Nexus 4 Battery Shot Reveals Potential Quality Issues – xda-developers
    Last edited by piizzadude; 11-04-2012 at 02:12 PM.
    Thanked by 2:
    neiljay6, mhe77 and smooth4lyfe like this.

The Nexus 4 was tempting. But I'm already satisfied with my S3, it basically got everything I need!
    "M'aiq does not understand what is so impressive about shouting. M'aiq can shout whenever he wants." - M'aiq

The lack of a MicroSD card is a kill to me, so with that being said....no

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

Quote Originally Posted by smooth4lyfe View Post
    The lack of a MicroSD card is a kill to me, so with that being said....no
    precisely ^

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    GT-I9300, UK

I originally thought of moving to the Note II but I realized for what it's worth it's essentially a larger S3. I then thought about grabbing a Nexus 4 for the vanilla Android experience, and because the price is right. However after much consideration, the lack of LTE, and sd card slot is not a compromise I'm willing to make.

Honestly the S3 is a powerful little device, and I love getting the question "SWEET, is that the new Samsung Galaxy S3?" lol.
    Last edited by ChrisXe; 11-04-2012 at 04:06 PM.
    Living large with my Galaxy Note 3!!!
    geekymcfly likes this.

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

just read n4 scores pretty bad on quadrant compared to s3 and one x..
    ..know its just a benchmark but thats what theyre for eh..

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    GT-I9300, UK

I really considered it. I was torn between buying the new penny Hardaway, the note 2 and n4. Fortunately I could afford all of them but I decided to just go with the 32gb nexus 7. The sd card doesn't bother me as much as it does the others bc it would be a secondary device.

"all animals are created equal but some animals are more equal than others" animal bylaws- animal farm
    funkylogik and XChrisX like this.

Quote Originally Posted by iCrank View Post
    I really considered it. I was torn between buying the new penny Hardaway, the note 2 and n4. Fortunately I could afford all of them but I decided to just go with the 32gb nexus 7. The sd card doesn't bother me as much as it does the others bc it would be a secondary device.

"all animals are created equal but some animals are more equal than others" animal bylaws- animal farm
    Agreed completely, not worth it for me to upgrade my phone so soon. I'd rather put some miles on my S3 first, and then consider upgrading next year to whatever is available then.

Yeah I'll he moving from the S3 to the Nexus 4.

There we're quite a few things I was disappointed about the S3 and stock Android can't be beat.

And if anyone says to flash an AOSP/AOKP rom, I'd want to slap them.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXe View Post
    Agreed completely, not worth it for me to upgrade my phone so soon. I'd rather put some miles on my S3 first, and then consider upgrading next year to whatever is available then.
    Exactly. Anyone who thinks an S3 isnt going to hold them up nicely until next years gagdets is sorely mistaken. My S3 isnt goinh anywhere. For anyone wondering, the nexus 4 was slightly tempting but I chose the s3 only four days ago ive gotten very little sleep haha.

As a music producer its paramount and completely indispensable that I have the ability to use flash memory with my phone. Music files, especially in the realm of recording serious studio-quality music, can get enormous. Ive already began relying on my s3 around my artists and as I gain confidence in its reliability, I soon expect it to be one of the only things I grab when I leave my home studio for someone else's set-up.

Battery life on the S3 will still probably trump the nexus4. I have my phone for at least the next year no doubt... if I feel up to it ill root the thing.

Sent from my SCH-R530M using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by hossman12 View Post
    Battery life on the S3 will still probably trump the nexus4.
    Install juice defender, you'll thank me later.

Nope. I am perfectly happy with my S3. Its still very fast, stable and great looking phone in my opinion. Now I'm a fan of TW. But i can except that some people are not. To them i would suggest to use a launcher like nova. You get Jellybean like Ui while still keeping all the goodies from TW.
    funkylogik likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Quote Originally Posted by I Can Be Your Hero View Post
    Yeah I'll he moving from the S3 to the Nexus 4.

There we're quite a few things I was disappointed about the S3 and stock Android can't be beat.

And if anyone says to flash an AOSP/AOKP rom, I'd want to slap them.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    Slap away, Aosp on the s3 destroys the n4

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by 2:
    taylorz_412 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXe View Post
    Install juice defender, you'll thank me later.
    I have juice defender installed works like a charm now if I could only get it to do g he same for my girl's Lg esteem... her battery literally lasts ~4hrs or so with moderate use. We leave the house, someone sends her a video poor girl won't even open it

Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Quote Originally Posted by hossman12 View Post
    I have juice defender installed works like a charm now if I could only get it to do g he same for my girl's Lg esteem... her battery literally lasts ~4hrs or so with moderate use. We leave the house, someone sends her a video poor girl won't even open it

How much do you like her? Time for a new phone.....

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

right im gona test JD next week.
    does it only realy save juice while not using the phone?
    does it do anything that i cant do just by turning off wifi and data and turning on powersave?

GT-I9300, UK
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

I had it on my other juice draining phones and it helped a lot. I havent used it on the SGS3

If I remember right, it also cycles down the CPU to the lowest which saves juice. It does a few other things as well

Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    How much do you like her? Time for a new phone.....

Haha well I agree, but other than the gingerbread 2.3OS that its running on and the battery life, she loves her bulky esteem lol. Its actually got a decently large LCD screen that plays videos pretty well.

I showed her a few pics of the nexus and she loved it. Problem is that we have very fast wi-fi at the house so we love just going with metro for our "4g" phones.. im only downloading at around 8mbps but for what ive heard about other ppl paying metroPCS for LTE coverage, that's lightning fast. Anyway point is we stick with metro phones so looks like its the S3 for her...

Although for $150, that new LG motion looks amazing.. 1.2ghz dual core with a small gorilla glass screen...

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    I had it on my other juice draining phones and it helped a lot. I havent used it on the SGS3

If I remember right, it also cycles down the CPU to the lowest which saves juice. It does a few other things as well
    thing is, the cpu speed can only be changed on a rooted phone with a clockable kernel (the s3 can be underclocked by powersaving mode but its not adjustable)

GT-I9300, UK

Quote Originally Posted by funkylogik View Post
    does it do anything that i cant do just by turning off wifi and data and turning on powersave?

Nope. I installed it on my birthday since I was gonna take a bunch of pics when we went out, but my phone got unbelievably hot and was panting almost halfway through the day.

If you remember my post in chit-chat, that's the kind of battery I get now, WITHOUT JD. JD was like half of that

Sent from my HTC One X
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by funkylogik View Post

I installed it the other day and haven't noticed any difference on my device. I am an active toggler of all my data/wifi/gps etc. So I have never noticed any real difference in using battery savers. The only difference is when you leave everything on and this is not as effective as manually toggling what you need.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I have been seriously considering selling my gs3 and getting a Nexus 4...mostly because I absolutely HATE everything about Touchwiz. I am sick of spending all of my time trying to download all kinds of apps that use up all kinds of resources on my GS3 to mask, cover up, and bury Touchwiz and try to make it "feel" more like what the Nexus 4 is made to be. I shouldn't have to go "rootin and ROMin" just to have a device that sounds and functions like a phone a professional adult would carry.

I am on AT&T and live in a rural area that not only doesn't have LTE but will not be getting it anytime in the foreseeable future, so no LTE is no big deal for me at all.
    Bits and Bytes from my "Nexus 5"
    Banned

Global Posts
    181 Global Posts

N4>s3 easily.

Quote Originally Posted by rickydavis1051 View Post
    N4>s3 easily.
    Dunno about that

Sd card is always > no sd card
    32gb is always > 16
    Motion and voice control is always > no motion control
    Removable battery is always > noon removable battery
    LTE is always > no lte

With that said, I'm still tempted to get it just for the updates, quad core, and i like the look.

There's no reason the Galaxy S3 shouldn't have shipped with a quad core and 2 gigs of RAM. Samsung told a whopper about lte not being compatible with quad core

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the Galaxy S3 unfortunately on T-Mobile
    funkylogik likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast