Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By wyndslash
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question New to Androids...iphone or samsung 111?

My granddaughter is urging me to get an iphone saying they are THE easiest phones to use, but I am a long time Samsung mobile user and have always found them decent phones.

Background, I am an older person and not numpty about technology I take just a little bit longer to learn new gadgets.

Any advice, tips good or bad will be welcome, and thanks for reading.

Default Re: New to Androids...iphone or samsung 111?

I say stick with Android

Learning new things keeps our minds active! Don't let it stagnate by using an iPhone (joke)
    cheekychappy likes this.

I love Android though must admit iPhones are much simpler for the basic User.

What I'd personally recommend is get a WP8 device to see how you feel with Smartphones of this generation & then down the road if you're more comfortable get an Android maybe in a year from now. Trying them at a store in my opinion isn't enough.

My main reason behind that route is I think Android might be a lot to take on initially so WP8 will get your feet wet without locking you into an ecocystem then when you're ready, make the jump to Android.
    I try convincing so many of my friends to switch but with thousands of dollars invested in one ecosystem it's hard to justify switching...which wouldn't be the case with WP8 due to their relatively small App Store.
    Initially I bought an Android & iPhone within a couple months and at first purchased roughly the same $$$ amount for each. Then as I reached the customizational limits of iOS I slowly stopped buying iOS Apps and almost went exclusively to Android. A while later I got a WP7 device to see & it's definitely nice but lacks Developer support for my needs. Now after trying all 3 and purchasing under 100$ on WP7, roughly 500$ on iOS & over 2,000$ on Android I'm pretty much stuck.
    That's why I recommend trying WP8 first because you won't be able to lock yourself into an ecosystem before knowing which best suits your needs.
    I've tried the 3 (excluding BB) and know Android is for me...I don't mind losing the 100$ but the 500$ spent on iOS kind of hurts.

Hope that makes sense (LoL) and helps with your decision.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:

I just came to Android from iPhone. I've been a long time Apple geek and it makes me sad to say I've been VERY underwhelmed the last couple of years. My iPhone 4 needed replaced but i didnt find the 5 special enough to buy...that being said, I am still kind of on the fence. I plan to use this phone for a week and see how it goes

iPhone is by far the EASIEST smart phone... Apple does a FANTASTIC job of making everything just work. But nothing really changes, either.

Im on the Samsung Galaxy s3 abd for the most part i love it.
    My few frustrations:
    1. I miss the little lock button on the left side if the iPhone...i almost always had my volume turned off via that switch, and it stayed off!
    2. I foubd typing MUCH easier on the iphone keyboard.
    3. Apple's music playet cant be beat.
    4. iMessage.
    5. This is totally my personal quirk- i HATE having apps in two places. I have my stuff in folders, but its still in that little app spot. Drives me bonkers. There's somethjbg to be said for bsvking up to iTunes!
    6. All of my friends are iPhone users (they all followed me haha) and now when we tect i can't see the smilies and stuff.

But things i like
    1. The huge, glorious screen.
    2. The speakers blow iPhone out of the water.
    3. Widgets... i adore widgets.
    4. Thid phone is much, much faster.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

If you want easy but same-y, get the iPhone. For everything else, Android.

I just switched from iPhone to Android, and I agree with aimeeinohio. However, for my mother (who is probably much older than you since she would never be on a site like this LOL), I suggested the iPhone. My in-laws who are more technically adept I also suggested the iPhone. It's just easier, especially if you aren't already using a smartphone. I'd say get an iPhone for free (or $99 if you really want Siri), your don't need the iPhone5, get used to it, but don't buy too many apps. Then in 2 years, when you are comfortable with a smartphone and recognize what you do most, if an Android suits you better switch.

I would not recommend a Windows phone. The apple eco system has more free apps for things you are likely to use at this point.

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

chappy, have your past Samsungs been Android smartphones?
    if not, android can be a steeper learning curve than iphone

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    GT-I9300, UK