How is the HDMI adapter on this phone?

storino03

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Anything locked out as far as video services go?

This is the official Samsung HDMI adapter $39.99:

Amazon.com: Adapter HDMI EPL 3FHU for Samsung Galaxy s3: Cell Phones & Accessories

Here is one that has the adapter to fit a regular sized HDMI cord in a smaller plug $9.00:

Amazon.com: Original Samsung HDTV Adapter TIP (5 to 11 Pin Converter) EPL-FU10BEBSTD for Galaxy S3 (9300): Cell Phones & Accessories

And then here's the official Samsung multimedia dock $32.00:

Amazon.com: Samsung EDD-D200BEGSTA Galaxy S III Multimedia Dock - Desktop Charger - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

Does the multimedia dock work for outputting HDMI in some capacity? Thanks for the input!

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
all i can input is definately go for a samsung one and make sure its specific to the s3.
ive just been delivered a faulty cheaper 3rd party adaptor :)

the description of the dock sounds like you wont get HDMI from the s3 through it since it says it works with other samsungs and the s3 is wired differently. what you need is a MHL-HDMI cable/adaptor specificly for the s3

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

Subsound

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Seeing as how there is only a speaker line output, I'd say no. but I could be wrong and you may be able to. I wouldn't assume you'd need the dock to do it when you can just buy the cable.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I've been reading that anything above 46" at 240hz FOR GAMING will be choppy, basically skip frames! I'm going to assume that its only good for 120hz. But this is just for gaming....for video, it is fine! Thats what I have read and aware of. You may want to research it further for your own use.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
i have a crap cheap rebranded tv made with samsung parts and im guessing gaming will be crap.
HD youtube video on it was stunning from my old Xperia Arc S though

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

Waipio11

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Any content or application restrictions via HDMI? On my old Charge i could not stream or play Youtube or other commercial sites like NFL.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Any content or application restrictions via HDMI? On my old Charge i could not stream or play Youtube or other commercial sites like NFL.

bleep that, on any phone with hdmi, the tv displayed exactly whats on the phone screen...

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
bleep that, on any phone with hdmi, the tv displayed exactly whats on the phone screen
Unfortunately I don't believe that's true. I haven't tried it myself but I read somewhere in the forums that content like NFL video (from the NFL Mobile app if I remember correctly) is blocked from being output to the TV. I don't know if the same applies to web browser-based content. Please do a search in the forums to get more specifics on what was reported. (I don't have NFL Mobile now that Verizon charges for it or I'd check it out myself.)

As far as the multimedia dock goes, the port on the back appears to only be a charging port - I tried connecting the MHL adapter and it wouldn't plug in. So I guess that multimedia only means audio (which kind of sucks when you consider the implication of multimedia). Oh well, perhaps the 5 to 11 pin plug would work (I doubt it though).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
sorry man. i meant to say "on any phone IVE owned with HDMI lol"
was typin too fast.
if i dont get youtube on tv when i get my replacement hdmi adaptor ill throw it out the window lol thats basicly why i want it.
i suppose though, as you say, i could just use the website :)

BMIC50

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
This is a great question. I bought the NBA League Pass for mobile only and was interested in finding out what will happen if I purchased the official adapter and displayed that on my TV. Some initial research shows that the NBA League Pass has worked. Maybe I will pick up an adapter and find out soon.

DarkSorrow

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I bought the Samsung MHL adapter from Verizon. It cost about the same as Amazon. It was $39.99. I have the cracked HBO GO application so I can watch HBO on the MHL. You can find it on the XDA forums.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 using TapaTalk 2.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
uploadfromtaptalk1352325386634.jpg
wow visual feedback lol, trippy to watch :)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
is that the camera app?

yeah just the camera pointed at the tv thats showing whatevers on phone screen.
like puttin a microphone too close to a speaker but with light ;)