have we lost driving mode in jellybean?

djrobinn

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
guys...driving mode isn't lost, it was moved and hidden deep in settings,,,
go to settings> language input> txt to speech> drive mode.....there it is in default "off" mode...just turn on.,,;))

I never understood Driving Mode even pre-JB days but I guess it must have some use. I just turned it on, let's see what good it does...

Profidd

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Drive mode was present in notifications bar on my S3 with ICS4.0.3....however it moved to Lang & Input when I upgraded to JB 4.1.1
but you're correct about the car dock feature being lost...my S3 no longer works with my (infuse 4G) car dock (as it did before) after installing JB4.1.1
Hoping JB4.1.2 or 4.2 corrects this oversight........:((

Last edited:

Santosh Kulkarni

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Driving mode is really useful while driving. One of the usage that I have observed is when you are connected to exchange server you will be notified over voice the received email. - Santosh

sircody

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Since they moved it they should have changed the name or deleted it cause if you turn it on, it is ON...that means until you go way back into the settings to turn it off, the phone will announce everything you do and/or messages you receive....This is the exact functions of Accessibility settings for blind and/or death. In Fact that is how you get to Driving Mode under Accessibility then Vision select Text-to-speech output,,, General settings

WAWood8

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Driving mode is still in MY notifications bar -- and I'm running JB on a US Verizon (stock) phone. Also, the fears about using car docks were unfounded, as my iBolt car dock works just the same as it did under ICS.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Theyve added more toggles to UK 4.1.2 but still excluded driving mode..

MERRY XMAS!!!X
Unbranded international s3 with Official 4.1.2 JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:

MikaelPe

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
All, we here at IBOLT are dealing with these issue every day. They are very confusing, especially as the OEM's (Samsung) do not provide any official statements or explanations. Here's an attempt to explain what is going on:

A. Driving mode and car-dock mode are two separate issues. Let's first deal with car-mode. For users in the United States, using a US carrier issued Galaxy S 3 phone, it will support the car-dock mode after upgrading to JB 4.1 and beyond. For anyone using an unlocked phone here in the US, and for our friends in Europe and elsewhere (if your firmware starts with I9300XX) the car-dock mode is gone from JB and forward, this has been 100% confirmed by Samsung in direct conversations. This means that three functions are gone.
1. The car-dock mode sets the home screen icons in a horizontal position when inserted to the dock.
2. Any "car-dock" application, like the popular CarHome Ultra can no longer be set to launch automatically when the car-dock triggers car-mode (via a special configuration of the microUSB) and "stay" as the new home screen with the "Home button" bringing you back to the application, as it did in ICE.
3. The aux-out audio (from apps) can not come through the microUSB in JB so a separate aux-out cable from the phone is going to be necessary for connecting to the car-stereo's 3.5 mm aux-in.
The above functions are no longer supported in the European version, only for US official carrier phones.

For Note II user everywhere the car-mode is no longer supported either.

It's hard to understand why Samsung would remove such great features, especially as it is only a Kernel setting. Go figure...

For the next xProDock we at IBOLT have figured out a work-around and we will release this later in January but it sure would have made it easier if Samsung would have kept the car-dock mode active...

B. Driving mode is simply text messages and incoming phone calls read out loud from what I understand (?). The confusing aspect is that the steering wheel symbol is almost identical to the one showing an active car-dock mode.

I hope the above makes sense?

Last edited:

dbmgreen

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
....................It's hard to understand why Samsung would remove such great features, especially as it is only a Kernel setting. Go figure...

So I use your dock with a SGS3 4G (Telstra) in Australia, and am running your kernel to enable Car Dock Mode, the only issue is that if you accidentally invoke the Power Off / Restart / Shutdown (power button) Menu, while car home ultra is running, the phone goes into a reboot loop, that can only be stopped by removing the phone from the cradle, and pulling the battery. Other than that, it's perfect :)

Orwell72

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I have been playing NFC tags today and you can program one to switch on driving mode (post JB)
So one tag on you car cradle holder and hey presto.

eb13

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
My drive mode is gone can't even find it even after I go into language and input I can see drive mode it is switched on but won't appear in the selection,I am in the car all day my job as a rep could do with it back again :-( blocking mode useless addition.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I dont get why they didnt atleast the toggle for a speak mode for reading txts etc....

Unbranded international rooted s3 with Official 4.1.2 JB. Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe :beer:

maukly

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
DRIVING MODE is still available on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean but it has been buried under SETTINGS > LANGUAGE AND INPUT > TEXT TO SPEECH OUTPUT > DRIVING MODE

sircody

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
That's not Really driving mode, I know it's Labeled that but it doesn't work the way Drive Mode did or is suppose to ...That Mislabeled Drive Mode is part of the Accessibilities Programing. If you turn in on, it should go into a standby until it's docked which is what Drive mode is. Well if on, it will start it's service then, not wait for you to Drive...lol...I trusted they did our phones right so when it started talking from emails, text and every touch i made on the screen, i couldn't fiqure out what the ...lol...well they did as they are proving to do with everything else, Half Ass do something or Finish their products. No car dock, half ass, no simple way to connect to HDMI, half ass, and the Big one that I just had my Attorney send a letter to them for, just for fun, The F8cking Wireless Back to our phones...I shouldn't have to Hack/Mod a phone to get the feature which is the reason i got this phone. I paid Samsung for this Feature.

madelineainsley

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I've searched and searched for driving mode myself but couldn't find it. a little idea sparked in my mind though... I opened up S-voice and said "activate driving mode" and to my amazement driving mode was activated. want to turn it off? just say "deactivate driving mode".
let me know if it works for you like it did for me!

deanodrums

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
The new update 4.1.2 driving mode is now back on the notification pull down section. :D

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

myIphone4s

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
now what does this do? i am trying to learn a little bit before the big switch to the S3 from my jailbroke 4S (which is the reason why i jail broke it so i can get these kinda of features that yall have)

thanks

beavo451

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
That's not Really driving mode, I know it's Labeled that but it doesn't work the way Drive Mode did or is suppose to ...That Mislabeled Drive Mode is part of the Accessibilities Programing. If you turn in on, it should go into a standby until it's docked which is what Drive mode is. Well if on, it will start it's service then, not wait for you to Drive...lol...I trusted they did our phones right so when it started talking from emails, text and every touch i made on the screen, i couldn't fiqure out what the ...lol...well they did as they are proving to do with everything else, Half Ass do something or Finish their products. No car dock, half ass, no simple way to connect to HDMI, half ass, and the Big one that I just had my Attorney send a letter to them for, just for fun, The F8cking Wireless Back to our phones...I shouldn't have to Hack/Mod a phone to get the feature which is the reason i got this phone. I paid Samsung for this Feature.

You got a lawyer to send the a letter? ROFL. That will show Samsung.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
now what does this do? i am trying to learn a little bit before the big switch to the S3 from my jailbroke 4S (which is the reason why i jail broke it so i can get these kinda of features that yall have)

thanks

When you get an email, the notification sounds, and the phone says, "new email".
Pretty stupid if you ask me.

--Tapatalk 2 on SGS3.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca