Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Default Re: have we lost driving mode in jellybean?

Driving mode is still in MY notifications bar -- and I'm running JB on a US Verizon (stock) phone. Also, the fears about using car docks were unfounded, as my iBolt car dock works just the same as it did under ICS.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #27  

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

Theyve added more toggles to UK 4.1.2 but still excluded driving mode..

MERRY XMAS!!!X
    Unbranded international s3 with Official 4.1.2 JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:
    GT-I9300, UK

Global Posts
    101 Global Posts

All, we here at IBOLT are dealing with these issue every day. They are very confusing, especially as the OEM's (Samsung) do not provide any official statements or explanations. Here's an attempt to explain what is going on:

A. Driving mode and car-dock mode are two separate issues. Let's first deal with car-mode. For users in the United States, using a US carrier issued Galaxy S 3 phone, it will support the car-dock mode after upgrading to JB 4.1 and beyond. For anyone using an unlocked phone here in the US, and for our friends in Europe and elsewhere (if your firmware starts with I9300XX) the car-dock mode is gone from JB and forward, this has been 100% confirmed by Samsung in direct conversations. This means that three functions are gone.
    1. The car-dock mode sets the home screen icons in a horizontal position when inserted to the dock.
    2. Any "car-dock" application, like the popular CarHome Ultra can no longer be set to launch automatically when the car-dock triggers car-mode (via a special configuration of the microUSB) and "stay" as the new home screen with the "Home button" bringing you back to the application, as it did in ICE.
    3. The aux-out audio (from apps) can not come through the microUSB in JB so a separate aux-out cable from the phone is going to be necessary for connecting to the car-stereo's 3.5 mm aux-in.
    The above functions are no longer supported in the European version, only for US official carrier phones.

For Note II user everywhere the car-mode is no longer supported either.

It's hard to understand why Samsung would remove such great features, especially as it is only a Kernel setting. Go figure...

For the next xProDock we at IBOLT have figured out a work-around and we will release this later in January but it sure would have made it easier if Samsung would have kept the car-dock mode active...

B. Driving mode is simply text messages and incoming phone calls read out loud from what I understand (?). The confusing aspect is that the steering wheel symbol is almost identical to the one showing an active car-dock mode.

I hope the above makes sense?
    Last edited by MikaelPe; 12-29-2012 at 06:18 AM.
    Thanked by:
    ansextra and Profidd like this.

Global Posts
    716 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MikaelPe View Post
    ....................It's hard to understand why Samsung would remove such great features, especially as it is only a Kernel setting. Go figure...
    So I use your dock with a SGS3 4G (Telstra) in Australia, and am running your kernel to enable Car Dock Mode, the only issue is that if you accidentally invoke the Power Off / Restart / Shutdown (power button) Menu, while car home ultra is running, the phone goes into a reboot loop, that can only be stopped by removing the phone from the cradle, and pulling the battery. Other than that, it's perfect

I have been playing NFC tags today and you can program one to switch on driving mode (post JB)
    So one tag on you car cradle holder and hey presto.
    Thanked by:
    funkylogik likes this.

My drive mode is gone can't even find it even after I go into language and input I can see drive mode it is switched on but won't appear in the selection,I am in the car all day my job as a rep could do with it back again :-( blocking mode useless addition.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #32  

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

I dont get why they didnt atleast the toggle for a speak mode for reading txts etc....

Unbranded international rooted s3 with Official 4.1.2 JB. Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe :beer:
    GT-I9300, UK

To place the "Driving Mode" on the pull down toggle menu
    go to settings > display > Notification panel
    Thanked by:
    crester likes this.

DRIVING MODE is still available on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean but it has been buried under SETTINGS > LANGUAGE AND INPUT > TEXT TO SPEECH OUTPUT > DRIVING MODE

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts

That's not Really driving mode, I know it's Labeled that but it doesn't work the way Drive Mode did or is suppose to ...That Mislabeled Drive Mode is part of the Accessibilities Programing. If you turn in on, it should go into a standby until it's docked which is what Drive mode is. Well if on, it will start it's service then, not wait for you to Drive...lol...I trusted they did our phones right so when it started talking from emails, text and every touch i made on the screen, i couldn't fiqure out what the ...lol...well they did as they are proving to do with everything else, Half *** do something or Finish their products. No car dock, half ***, no simple way to connect to HDMI, half ***, and the Big one that I just had my Attorney send a letter to them for, just for fun, The F8cking Wireless Back to our phones...I shouldn't have to Hack/Mod a phone to get the feature which is the reason i got this phone. I paid Samsung for this Feature.

I've searched and searched for driving mode myself but couldn't find it. a little idea sparked in my mind though... I opened up S-voice and said "activate driving mode" and to my amazement driving mode was activated. want to turn it off? just say "deactivate driving mode".
    let me know if it works for you like it did for me!

The new update 4.1.2 driving mode is now back on the notification pull down section.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

now what does this do? i am trying to learn a little bit before the big switch to the S3 from my jailbroke 4S (which is the reason why i jail broke it so i can get these kinda of features that yall have)

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sircody View Post
    That's not Really driving mode, I know it's Labeled that but it doesn't work the way Drive Mode did or is suppose to ...That Mislabeled Drive Mode is part of the Accessibilities Programing. If you turn in on, it should go into a standby until it's docked which is what Drive mode is. Well if on, it will start it's service then, not wait for you to Drive...lol...I trusted they did our phones right so when it started talking from emails, text and every touch i made on the screen, i couldn't fiqure out what the ...lol...well they did as they are proving to do with everything else, Half *** do something or Finish their products. No car dock, half ***, no simple way to connect to HDMI, half ***, and the Big one that I just had my Attorney send a letter to them for, just for fun, The F8cking Wireless Back to our phones...I shouldn't have to Hack/Mod a phone to get the feature which is the reason i got this phone. I paid Samsung for this Feature.
    You got a lawyer to send the a letter? ROFL. That will show Samsung.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by myIphone4s View Post
    now what does this do? i am trying to learn a little bit before the big switch to the S3 from my jailbroke 4S (which is the reason why i jail broke it so i can get these kinda of features that yall have)

thanks
    When you get an email, the notification sounds, and the phone says, "new email".
    Pretty stupid if you ask me.

--Tapatalk 2 on SGS3.
    Samsung Galaxy S3 4gLTE

I found it! It's still there after jellybean but it's in text to speech input settings.

Can u tell me how i instigate an update from 4.1.1 to 4.1.2? i usually just wait fot any notifications and havent received any yet for this version. thanx

if u are on the road a lot, it is very handy for anything you may be waiting for without constantly checking manually.

Quote Originally Posted by jp2387 View Post
    To place the "Driving Mode" on the pull down toggle menu
    go to settings > display > Notification panel
    I dont have Notification panel on my S3 / GT-I9300.....what product do you have?
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #45  

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

Quote Originally Posted by dboyd18 View Post
    I dont have Notification panel on my S3 / GT-I9300.....what product do you have?
    Im on your phone and i have it mate. Mines maybe a bit different as its a custom rom but im pretty sure stock 4.1.2 brought it, it lets you rearrange the toggles
    have we lost driving mode in jellybean?-uploadfromtaptalk1358911387478.jpg
    have we lost driving mode in jellybean?-uploadfromtaptalk1358911454739.jpg

quadcore 1gb GS3, Neat Rom by Salesale, aroma v1.5A. Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe :beer:
    GT-I9300, UK

Thumbs up Re: have we lost driving mode in jellybean?

Settings>Language&keyboard>text to speech output then there you can see the driving mode.

Hello, If you've not already found it, go to Settings > Display > Notification Panel, from there you can customise the entire screen.. Several answers here!!

S voice can turn it on
    I think it it's this way because the whole point is to be all voice interactions

Nothing lost. Nothing too complicated. Go to settings, display and there is an option called notification panel. You can choose what is displayed and what's not , including driving mode.

If you haven't already found it, use the pull-down menu. In the top right there is an icon of "3 squares." Tap that; it brings up a bunch of additional settings, as well as the ones you have at the top. One of those is "hands free mode." That is the new "drive mode." From there you can turn it on/off. This is a stupid thing they've done, but at least I found it, thanks to a T-Mobile site.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12