New guy needs some help! I'm having trouble setting up my TELUS email account

shikano53

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I've had my SG3 for about 3 weeks now. My hotmail, gmail, and yahoo email accounts work fine.

However I can't send anything from my TELUS email account.I should mention that our mobile carrier is Bell, not Telus
Our internet provider is TELUS because Bell has no internet service in Alberta. I can receive, but I can't send.

Any ideas would be really appreciated.

Thank you advance
Chris in Red Deer, Alberta

Klotar

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Check your settings against this, and let us know:
Email Address: username@telus.net (Enter your telus.net Email username in place of "username")
Password: Enter your telus.net Email password.

POP3, IMAP, or Exchange: IMAP

Username: Enter the part of your telus.net email address that appears before the @ sign.
POP3 server: imap.telus.net
Port: 143
Security type: None
Delete email from server: Never

SMTP server: smtp.telus.net
Port: 25
Security type: None
Require sign-in: not checked
Username: Enter the part of your telus.net email address that appears before the @ sign.

mssca

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I would go to the Bell and they should set it up for you. Because IMAP and POP3 (with SMTP) can be confusing. This is one thing I missed from my BlackBerry; easy email setup. Android email app needs every single detail right in order to work. I had to go to University of Calgary IT department to get my uofc email setup.

shikano53

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi, thanks for the information. I have done all of that and I have been on the phone with both Telus and Bell. With the Bell tech support pesron they me run through deleting the account, starting from scratch and numerous settings and each time the outgoing server failed to connect.
Finally I was told they are going to 'escalate' the support ticket and would get back to me next week. They indicated it was very baffaling because they've never run across this before and have set up other accounts for other providers.
I will keep you posted.
Chris in Red Deer, Alberta

Klotar

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
OK, reposting those settings was worth a shot.

Some regional carriers and ISP's, such as Shaw and MTS for certain, NORMALLY do not allow mail to be sent from an IP range outside of their own. This is to prevent spam from elsewhere. So what that means is, for example, let's say you normally do your ISP email from your laptop. Everything works fine. Then you go on a trip to Florida with your laptop and use the hotel wifi to connect to the internet and find that you cannot send mail (receiving is okay). This is because the hotel in Florida's IP address is outside of that used by your ISP.

With the recent popularity of mobile devices and tablets, this became unacceptable. Your phone/tablet on the cellular network, lke the laptop while travelling, MAY be deemed to be outside your IP range. Even webmail may be susceptible to this issue. Older workarounds for this issue involved obtaining the local IP of the provider of where you were at, but as mobile devices became more popular, that wasn't going to cut it.
In the case of Shaw (my ISP), I had to sign up for Shaw Webmail 2.0 Beta and set a more secure password than what I had been using. Completion of that step finally allowed me to send mail through my ISP outside of Canada, allowed me to set up my email on my phones and tablets, and (this is cool) allows me to send from my ISP @shaw.ca email address while actually sending via gmail.com.

Anyways, short of it is, this may or may not apply to you. I had to convert to a higher level of credentials in order to be able to SEND email from outside of Shaw's IP range. Good luck.

shikano53

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Klotar for the information. I don't quite know what to do at this point. I will wait to see what Bell can do. I can still send/receive from my Telus webmail so if all fails I can use it.
Regards
Chris in Red Deer, AB

PowerjacK

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem, what you need to do is setup the incoming account as your regular telus setting but the outgoing account needs to be the bell settings.
I believe it is "mail.1xbell.ca" and the port is 25 and smtp.
Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member