Possible Security issue wih S-Memo and JB

graffixnyc

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I was poking around my GS3 today (ATT version but running the Sprint Official JB release LJ7) and I found something pretty shocking. I was poking around the S-memo databases when I opened a table using SQLIte editior. When I opened the table I was shocked to see my Google account username and password in clear plain text. Now, I did have the option to sync to Google drive and the app did prompt for my google username and password so obviously it stores it somewhere. I was just shocked to see it stored in plain text and not encrypted.

Jerry from AC checked his ATT GS3 running ICS and he did not have these entries in his DB which makes me think it's a JB thing. He suggested I start a thread to see if anyone else has experienced this.

To check you need to be rooted and have SQLite editor installed.

Steps to check
1. Set up S-Memo to sync with your Google account
2. Use SQLite editor and navigate to /data/data/com.sec.android.provider.smemo/databases
3. Open the Pen_memo.db file and select the CommonSettings table. Look to see if your Google account info is stored in plain text.

This could potentially be a serious issue. If people running JB on their GS3 can check this that would be awesome. Jerry already checked the latest ICS build for the ATT variant but if others on ICS or with a different variant can check that would be great. I will get to check my GF's I-9300 running JB tomorrow when I see her.

I have attached a SS of what my table looked like. Obviously I blacked out my PW and also the Google auth ID

Screenshot_2012-11-09-19-50-34.png

Last edited:

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
i disabled all the s-things straight away but ill give it a try later today mate
op you could find yourelf employed by google lol.
glad theres people who examine things.... :thumbup:

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

Last edited:

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
How would anyway access this tho to see your password though?

If someone got their hands on a nandroid from your device it wouldn't be difficult. Could be from an SD card, cloud storage. Just because it isn't likely doesn't make it impossible.

Sent From My Rooted/Modded SGSIII - If I've helped you please click 'Thanks'!

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
they could access your email which contains a lot of other login details and use your google account to buy stuff, or worse..... frape u!

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

graffixnyc

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Because the user said it could when they allowed root permissions. Tapping that allow or grant button means you give permission to do anything.

Also since the DB file is on the data partition and not the system partition, Is it possible for a non root app to access it as well? I'm not 100% sure how app permissions work on android and if one app can access another app's data/databases or not but the default permissions on /data are read/write so I think it's possible that a malicious non root app could access it as well.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Also since the DB file is on the data partition and not the system partition, Is it possible for a non root app to access it as well? I'm not 100% sure how app permissions work on android and if one app can access another app's data/databases or not but the default permissions on /data are read/write so I think it's possible that a malicious non root app could access it as well.

Shouldn't be possible. Application data is sandboxed and the user/group model keeps one app from seeing another apps data unless you give it elevated permission. Having said that, there's no way it's 100% fool proof and exploits always happen.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
so is this a samsung problem or not (as its not an issue out-the-box)?