Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Srambo217
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Stock: Unrooted

Default Does one need to back-up Bookmarks . . before switching from the stock browser?

Does one need to, or, is it possible to?

Thanks y'all.

. . . thinking of giving Dolphin HD a try.

Default Re: Does one need to back-up Bookmarks . . before switching from the stock browser?

You might be able to import them from your stock browser. I haven't used Dolphin since the Gingerbread days so just install it (it is free) and see if you're prompt at 'start up'. As far a backing up bookmarks goes, or more importantly, syncing them across your devices the easiest/most reliable method is to just just Chrome on your desktop and either Chrome or stock Internet on your phone. They'll be tied to your Google account. It's pretty awesome. There's no reason you shouldn't be doing this.

Sent From My Rooted/Modded SGSIII - If I've helped you please click 'Thanks'!
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

Default Re: Does one need to back-up Bookmarks . . before switching from the stock browser?

yeah most browsers let you import from stock mate

p.s, Jaj Dolphin has improved SO much since those days. i have a problem with my keyboard on it or thats what id been using.
    ive actualy started flirting with stock browser since reading something from you.. its ok

Global s3, TW JB, Paisley, Scotland, West of Europe :beer:
    GT-I9300, UK
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by jaj6503 View Post
    You might be able to import them from your stock browser. I haven't used Dolphin since the Gingerbread days so just install it (it is free) and see if you're prompt at 'start up'. As far a backing up bookmarks goes, or more importantly, syncing them across your devices the easiest/most reliable method is to just just Chrome on your desktop and either Chrome or stock Internet on your phone. They'll be tied to your Google account. It's pretty awesome. There's no reason you shouldn't be doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by funkylogik View Post
    yeah most browsers let you import from stock mate

p.s, Jaj Dolphin has improved SO much since those days. i have a problem with my keyboard on it or thats what id been using.
    ive actualy started flirting with stock browser since reading something from you.. its ok

Global s3, TW JB, Paisley, Scotland, West of Europe :beer:
    Thanks very much, Jaj & funk.
    So, if I don't use Chrome on my desktop (which I don't–I've used Firefox for over ten years), and if I don't want Chrome for a device browser (which I don't at this time–mostly due to some bench-tests I read about it's size & resource using footprint), is the stock ICS browser possibly a better choice, in your op's, than using Dolphin HD . . when it comes to syncing bookmarks and the like?
    I'm not really that unhappy with the stock browser; I was just reading how Dolphin & Chrome & a few other browsers had better page-favorites-bookmark navigation/management and whatnot with tabs and the like, etc-etc.

Google has always been a huge anathema to me. So, why, you may be asking yourselves, did I jump the iPhone ship?? Good question. Just curiosity I guess. I don't even have a google account. LOL
    Last edited by fr3GStoGS3; 11-14-2012 at 12:10 PM.

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

how can u d/load apps without an account lol.
    to me, it would come down to speed. Maxathon is fastest for me but some stuff pisses me off so im goin between it, FF, and stock. different b/marks on each lol

Unbranded Global s3, Official JB, Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe :beer:
    GT-I9300, UK
    Thanked by:

The reason I'm such a fan of the stock browser is because it loads flash every time, doesn't freak out when I'm using SwiftKey, and allows you to copy/paste without jumping through hoops (unlike the mobile version of Chrome). I was a huge advocate of third party browsers for quite sometime and relied heavily on Opera and Skyfire, but this stock Touchwiz browser simply just works, really well. Just give it a shot for 48 hours, I promise you're going to be very surprised by how well it handles.

I too used to use Firefox on my desktop, but Chrome is ridiculously faster and the fact it works directly with my Google account makes it a no-brainer for me. I'm rather invested in the Google universe and am very pleased with it thus far.

Thanked by 2:
    funkylogik and winmod21 like this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by funkylogik View Post
    how can u d/load apps without an account lol.
    to me, it would come down to speed. Maxathon is fastest for me but some stuff pisses me off so im goin between it, FF, and stock. different b/marks on each lol
    I use someone else's google account, obviously.
    So when you go betwixt different browsers, have you been able to 'import' as Jaj mentioned, your bookmarks from the current browser you were on to the new one?

I haven't ever really had a problem with speed.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by jaj6503 View Post
    The reason I'm such a fan of the stock browser is because it loads flash every time, doesn't freak out when I'm using SwiftKey, and allows you to copy/paste without jumping through hoops (unlike the mobile version of Chrome). I was a huge advocate of third party browsers for quite sometime and relied heavily on Opera and Skyfire, but this stock Touchwiz browser simply just works, really well. Just give it a shot for 48 hours, I promise you're going to be very surprised by how well it handles.

I too used to use Firefox on my desktop, but Chrome is ridiculously faster and the fact it works directly with my Google account makes it a no-brainer for me. I'm rather invested in the Google universe and am very pleased with it thus far.
    Thanks again, Jaj. I've just been guessing that this stock TW ICS 4.0 browser is probably real plain-jane compared to the popular 3rd party browsers, and slower as well. Looks like my bad guess then. I've had my S3 for just over a month, and as I mentioned earlier, I haven't really been particularly unhappy with the stock browser, I just figured there were probably better out there 3rd party wise, as with keyboards & etc. Was thinking of Opera, but Dolphin has better recent reviews.
    So thanks again for your very helpful replies; maybe I'll try sticking with the stock B, unless some real issues with it come up.

Firefox, desktop & laptop wise for us, has usually rock & rolled with speed. Before FF, we were always IE (lived only a few miles form the Microsoft campus in Redmond, WA, USA, with several friends who were MS employees—who were able to score lots of free/or heavily reduced program & OS software for us—keeping us somewhat invested w/ MS, and so only experienced with the two.

By the way . . I just downloaded TouchPal V5 yesterday, and have been really enjoying it, mostly. It's way better than the stock samsung T9 keyboard.
    I haven't tried Swiftkey. Have you tried TouchPal?
    With my Skyrocket, I think there was a keyboard called 'Android keyboard' that I liked the most; don't remember seeing it in google play though.
    Last edited by fr3GStoGS3; 11-14-2012 at 07:57 PM.