Back plastic cover "tooth" not clipping into GS3 frame (back cover loose on one end/won't clasp on)

Starpower11

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Back plastic cover "tooth" not clipping into GS3 frame (back cover loose on one end/won't clasp on)

I was wondering if this is normal for the GS3?

The upper left "tooth" on the back plastic cover for my phone isn't clipping into the phone's basis/chassis. It's been like this since I got it. Weird thing is, the "teeth" on the plastic cover are totally perfect looking, not broken, and look the same on both sides, and of course the indentation on the "chassis" looks just right and nothing wrong with it either. Yet every single "tooth" clips into the phone, but that top left one. It looks annoying as you can see a small "gap" in that area and of course I can feel some give there when I hold the phone. One thing that bugs me about this phone is that CHEAP plastic on the back, and now mine is even defected to show off how cheap it is as it isn't even fitted properly.

Anyone experience anything similar or know if it's a common issue? Thanks.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Re: Back plastic cover "tooth" not clipping into GS3 frame (back cover loose on one end/won't clasp

never heard that one. The first refurb they sent me was not put together right but that wasnt the cover. Maybe talk to your carrier and they will send you another cover

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Re: Back plastic cover "tooth" not clipping into GS3 frame (back cover loose on one end/won't clasp

The upper left "tooth" on the back plastic cover for my phone isn't clipping into the phone's basis/chassis. It's been like this since I got it. Weird thing is, the "teeth" on the plastic cover are totally perfect looking, not broken, and look the same on both sides, and of course the indentation on the "chassis" looks just right and nothing wrong with it either. Yet every single "tooth" clips into the phone, but that top left one. It looks annoying as you can see a small "gap" in that area and of course I can feel some give there when I hold the phone. One thing that bugs me about this phone is that CHEAP plastic on the back, and now mine is even defected to show off how cheap it is as it isn't even fitted properly.

Is there something blocking the holes?
Press as hard as you can on the back to force it to snap

You can also get new ones for very cheap, or even AT&T may replace it for you...the cover that is

Starpower11

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site

No, took out the cover and cleaned out the holes majorly (nothing in there to begin with). For whatever reason, on that one side, the clip just doesnt' clip (it meekly goes in and then just loosens up right away). It does for a second, then when the other side clasps, it just gets loosened up. It seems like everything is in spec, but obviously either the tooth on the cover is not cut right (hopefully, as that's an easy fix) or the hole on the back is defectedly cut, i.e like the top is too rounded or not jagged enough.

Yeah, I'll try getting a replacement cover. Didn't think of that. I guess if that doesn't work I know it's something with the frame. Kind of annoying. I guess if I get a case for it (plan to though hat adding additional thickness) it won't really matter. Still hate to have an ill fit and finish on the product.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: Back plastic cover "tooth" not clipping into GS3 frame

its not normal.
id try another back plate in a shop before you buy.
if its a prob with the chassis, guarantee should cover it :)

Unbranded Global s3, Official JB, Paisley, Scotland, West of Europe :beer:

Starpower11

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site

I guess if it's a chassis issue where a simple cover won't replace it, it'll be a good sign that I need a case already.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site

yeah if ur not too an@l, just stick a case on it.
does it creak and squeak?

btw, your thread title is too long to reply to lol, u should edit out the part in brackets ;)

Starpower11

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site

yeah if ur not too an@l, just stick a case on it.
does it creak and squeak?

btw, your thread title is too long to reply to lol, u should edit out the part in brackets ;)

Yeah it gets a little squeak/creak in that area due to the cover being loose. Kinda lousy for a costly phone, though I got mine for a nice discount at least.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Re: Back plastic cover "tooth" ose on one end/won't clasp on)

Another thing to consider and which would cause me to find a solution is that the build on a phone, or anything else for that matter, is that the build integrity of the phone is dependant on all the pieces fitting together properly. If you drop your phone wit some parts not fitting properly, you are more likely to cause more damage than a properly put together phone

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

xKrNMBoYx

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Re: Back plastic cover "tooth" ose on one end/won't clasp on)

lol. Is it normal? Have you seen much threads or post about this online?

It does seem odd if both the clips on the cover and slots on the phone are okay. Pictures? You may have to try out a different cover. If you don't want to purchase a cover, then borrow the back cover of a friend's S3 if any of them have one.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
g into GS3 frame (back cover loose on one end/won't clasp on)

Another thing to consider and which would cause me to find a solution is that the build on a phone, or anything else for that matter, is that the build integrity of the phone is dependant on all the pieces fitting together properly. If you drop your phone wit some parts not fitting properly, you are more likely to cause more damage than a properly put together phone

Squeaks would really bug me man :(

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

Or it could absorb the impact by wasting energy popping the back off.
Tbh id go in a shop to find out if a new cover fits, if not, send for a replacement.
Have u tried cleanin the clips and their holes with an old toothbrush or paintbrush? :)

Unbranded Official TW s3.Paisley,Slotland, Western Europe :beer:

Starpower11

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Re: g into GS3 frame (back cover loose on one end/won't clasp on)

Turns out it thankfully was the plastic piece. Got a new one and so far, it clips in as it should. Weird as the old backing didn't have a broken clip/tooth and said "tooth" looked perfectly like the one on the other side that clicked in perfectly.

So far, so good with the new one. Happy as it was bugging me. I love this phone but fit and finish and exactness in design specifications isn't one of its strong suits, which could be bothersome for such an expensive phone (not barring current massive discounts). The fake "aluminum" trim isn't even aligned correctly as it wraps around the phone, some areas have larger gaps than others, etc. (I'm a total freak when it comes to perfect fit/finish & material quality, which is what I miss from iPhone, though obviously it's a give and take as this phone has merits that one didn't, and vice versa).

Anyway, thanks for the help, happy that my phone is feeling as it should without the loose creaks/groans of one end not sitting flush with the chassis.

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site

I have the same problem for the Samsung s3 that I purchased recently with loose back plate,I went to my carrier and they give me another one,now it fit perfect,problem solved

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unknown