Phone crashes when copying

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I've managed to incur the now well-documented problem of this phone crashing when trying to copy text. Are the only solutions to factory reset or root the phone and delete certain clipboard files?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
When did u notice it start happening? Do you think u could have done something that could have caused it?

Try getting a memory cleaner from the app store, run that, and see if it helps

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. I restarted my phone and cleared cache. Unfortunately, neither worked.

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Based on the research I've done, it appears this problem can only be fixed by either a factory reset, or by rooting and delete certain files in the clipboard folder.

If I root, and then Samsung releases an update and I install it, will that restore root to my phone?

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
If u root, u will no longer get OTA updates and u lose all Samsung features on the phone, so if u don't mind that u can root and use the benefits of rooting... If ur phone is fine now and no still want OTA (Over the Air) updates, just factory reset

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 Boyyyyyy!

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I won't get any OTA updates? I thought I would, but that accepting the update would re-root the phone?

rvhighway

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
If u root . . . u lose all Samsung features on the phone

This is untrue. If you root and install a plain Android ROM like CM10, then you lose the Samsung features. That's the point of those ROMs.

If you root and install a TouchWiz-based ROM like Cleanrom or Synergy, you still have most or all of the Samsung features that some people like.

OP, remember that rooting doesn't mean that you have a new operating system. It's just the first step. The second is to unlock your boot loader. The final step is to install a custom ROM.

If you root but leave the stock OS running, it's likely that you will get an OTA update sent to your phone. At best you will lose root. At worst it will brick your phone. To keep that from happening, you will need to install something like the custom ROMs I mentioned. Again, some of which have the Samsung overlays/enhancements to ICS or JB.

Sent from a Jelly Bean flavored SCH-I535

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah its my understanding that just rooting your phone wont prevent official updates.
I think big updates like Jellybean remove root permissions but thats easy to do again.
Flashing a new operating system to the phone will obviously prevent updates.... imagine getting a Touchwiz update on top of a Cyanogen rom lol, what would happen??

Unbranded Official TW s3.Paisley,Slotland, Western Europe :beer:

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Yeah its my understanding that just rooting your phone wont prevent official updates.
I think big updates like Jellybean remove root permissions but thats easy to do again.
Flashing a new operating system to the phone will obviously prevent updates.... imagine getting a Touchwiz update on top of a Cyanogen rom lol, what would happen??

Unbranded Official TW s3.Paisley,Slotland, Western Europe :beer:

They do prevent OTA updates for sure
They also will take away all Samsung features unless it is a Touchwiz based rom, but rooting does not allow OTA updates from Samsung or Carriers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair