Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Should I wait to root?

Until after the JB update that is? I'm into modifying my phones, did so on my iPhone since day one, but I'm wondering if I should hold off (in your opinion of course)

Sent from my Red GS3

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

Default Re: Should I wait to root?

When are u due to get official JB mate?
    Rooting and flashing are whole diffeient ballgames remember :thumbup:

Unbranded international s3 with Official JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:
    GT-I9300, UK

Quote Originally Posted by Shanicenicolle View Post
    Until after the JB update that is? I'm into modifying my phones, did so on my iPhone since day one, but I'm wondering if I should hold off (in your opinion of course)

Sent from my Red GS3
    Rooting an android device is totally different than jailbreaking an iPhone. Many things could go wrong. Are u with a carrier or unbranded? I personally think u should wait. I'm with US cellular n haven't gotten it yet but I'm waiting. My hubby said There's no way in hell I'm rooting this 700 dollar phone n risking messing it up. Lol. I think the reason it's taking so long is there were a lot of bugs. Sprint released theirs too early and a lot of people are having issues with it , so the ROMS released may also have those issues. I'm pissed about the wait, but I'd rather have it right than buggered up and I can't risk effing up my pretty, shiny, already badass phone.

O_o WISHING I HAD WAITED AND GOT THE NOTE 2, ANYONE WANNA TRADE? o>_<o~
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by hell_on_heels View Post
    Rooting an android device is totally different than jailbreaking an iPhone. Many things could go wrong. Are u with a carrier or unbranded? I personally think u should wait. I'm with US cellular n haven't gotten it yet but I'm waiting. My hubby said There's no way in hell I'm rooting this 700 dollar phone n risking messing it up. Lol. I think the reason it's taking so long is there were a lot of bugs. Sprint released theirs too early and a lot of people are having issues with it , so the ROMS released may also have those issues. I'm pissed about the wait, but I'd rather have it right than buggered up and I can't risk effing up my pretty, shiny, already badass phone.

Just as much can go wrong jailbreaking trust me, they both allow you to mess with the structural files on the phone, so that's not a concern I research well before doing anything.

Sent from my Red GS3
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by funkylogik View Post
    When are u due to get official JB mate?
    Rooting and flashing are whole diffeient ballgames remember :thumbup:

Unbranded international s3 with Official JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:
    I'm on ATT so it's kind of in the air

Sent from my Red GS3

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

Sent from my Red GS3
    Id be tempted tbh then bro.
    @heels, youre maybe confusing rooting with flashing pal... rooting is risk free and just "unzipps" the belly of your phone which then allows u to give it an organ transplant if you so wish.
    Wow what a metaphor

GT-I9300, UK
    hell_on_heels likes this.
    BEACH BUM

ROM
    Stock : Rooted, Unlocked

I will be staying on ICS, there is not enough incentive for me for such a minimal upgrade. Everything on my phone works perfect and I do not want to risk that for a few improvements (I am not going to fix what is not broken). Also, I believe JB will not support "Flash". Especially given that my carrier (Verizon) tends to muck updates, plug exploits, or remove features.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Babalu View Post
    I will be staying on ICS, there is not enough incentive for me for such a minimal upgrade. Everything on my phone works perfect and I do not want to risk that for a few improvements (I am not going to fix what is not broken). Also, I believe JB will not support "Flash". Especially given that my carrier (Verizon) tends to muck updates, plug exploits, or remove features.
    U can find adobe flash on adobe.com then type archives in the search bar. Flash is not supported on anything after 4.0 now. I have it on mine. And I have the download saved on my phone.

BEACH BUM

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by hell_on_heels View Post
    U can find adobe flash on adobe.com then type archives in the search bar. Flash is not supported on anything after 4.0 now. I have it on mine. And I have the download saved on my phone.

I do have Adobe Flash on my S3 now. From what I understand with JB even if you have Adobe Flash it will not support it. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Adobe Flash Article: A good read
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

Flash works fine for me on JB

GT-I9300, UK
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

Flash works fine for me on JB
    Try Firefox browser..

GT-I9300, UK
    winmod21 likes this.

ROM
    Stock: Unrooted

Id be tempted tbh then bro.
    @heels, youre maybe confusing rooting with flashing pal... rooting is risk free and just "unzipps" the belly of your phone which then allows u to give it an organ transplant if you so wish.
    Wow what a metaphor
    Yeah, 'what a metaphor'! Is that type of operation performed out in the snow, is it? Is that how the snow gets all bloody then? Eh m8? lol

I'm with you, Ricky. Been thinking of skipping JB as well. I hadn't heard about the Adobe Flash issue though, so thanks for posting that! I definitely wouldn't want to loose 'Flash', which I use quite a bit with ICS 4.

ROM
    Stock: Unrooted

And did you just quote your own post, funky? lol
    Ricky Babalu likes this.

Assuming there will be a root method for your JB update soon after it's pushed, there's no reason you couldn't enjoy all the perks of root now and hold off on the OTA until it's rootable.

Sent From My Rooted/Modded SGSIII - If I've helped you please click 'Thanks'!
    funkylogik likes this.
    BEACH BUM

ROM

I have a sneaky suspicion that Verizon is going to do whatever it can to try and plug any exploits for rooting. Which is probably the reason they are taking so long to release JB.
    ***I rooted and unlocked already for this reason.
    funkylogik likes this.

Depends what u want to customize....if you want to customize ur homescreens, there is no need for rooting, but if u want to customize ur notification bar and other things like that, you have to root, so even if Jelly Bean came out, u still will need to root to customize those other things
    funkylogik likes this.

Just as much can go wrong jailbreaking trust me, they both allow you to mess with the structural files on the phone, so that's not a concern I research well before doing anything.

Sent from my Red GS3
    True but iPhones can be easily restored in iTunes for majority of the "oops I broke it" versus Android could be "oops I broke it now it won't even turn on". Then you got yourself a nice brick

Sent from my Red GS3
    I would do it as long as your read a guide. Since you don't know when att will release the JB update. Just be sure to read a guide. Also ensure the guide is for your phone.

Rooting is usually pretty straight forward. If your going to ROM please read carefully.. Very carefully. Flashing a galaxy s3 rom meant for another carrier wouldn't be good for you .

So just as long as you can read and aren't click happy I'd say go for it :thumbup::beer:

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.

Sent from my Red GS3
    Depending on whether you intend on flashing a new rom or just staying stock rooted

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

Lol "3gs to gs3" i like u man. Ur a funny dude :beer:
    (Not a pick up line.... or is it) :P

GT-I9300, UK
    Thanked by:
    winmod21 likes this.

I do have Adobe Flash on my S3 now. From what I understand with JB even if you have Adobe Flash it will not support it. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Adobe Flash Article: A good read
    Idk, mine seems to be working. How do I tell?

21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Quote Originally Posted by smooth4lyfe View Post
    Depends what u want to customize....if you want to customize ur homescreens, there is no need for rooting, but if u want to customize ur notification bar and other things like that, you have to root, so even if Jelly Bean came out, u still will need to root to customize those other things
    This is exactly what I'm looking to do, and I know I would still have to root I'm just wondering would it be less future headache for me to wait or if it'll be relatively straightforward to upgrade once I do root and mod, don't plan on flashing any ROMS yet as far as I can tell

Sent from my Red GS3

Just root and flash cm10. You
    Will have your jelly bean, and can block ads and everything

This is exactly what I'm looking to do, and I know I would still have to root I'm just wondering would it be less future headache for me to wait or if it'll be relatively straightforward to upgrade once I do root and mod, don't plan on flashing any ROMS yet as far as I can tell

Sent from my Red GS3
    Well as far as I can tell ya, you might as well root if you want to do those things
    The only thing I would say u would be missing is the features of 4.1.2 (Multi window feature, new gallery, more.), because AT&T is supposedly getting that update instead of 4.1.1 that everyone else gets.
    Jelly B
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Quote Originally Posted by Soundtrack to Chaos View Post
    Just root and flash cm10. You
    Will have your jelly bean, and can block ads and everything

Hmm.. Probably what I'll end up doing, even tho I'm part of the minority that actually likes touchwiz lol

Sent from my Red GS3

Why?

All the cool kids are doing it, Come join us;-)

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Android Central Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast