• 2 Post By funkylogik
  • 1 Post By GrooveRite
  • 1 Post By cgardnervt
  • 1 Post By Almeuit
  • 1 Post By tyrntlzrdking
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default 4.1.1 destroyed my S3 :-(

Hey all,

Before I go absolutely mental mouthing off at the new JellyBean update, I need to know if it's just me, or the update itself.

I personally used to think was the best phone ever made, untouchable, too good to be true even! - until JellyBean 4.1.1 came out. So can anyone tell me if they have the following issues, and if so, how to fix them!?

1) Battery life taking a major hit and going from 23 odd hours to around 10-12 hours after the update

2) if and when the screen timeouts and goes off, pressing the home key puts it back on - BUT closes the app that you were viewing as well!:-(( e.g. if your viewing the browser and the screen goes off, pressing the home key puts the screen back on, but closes the browser as well (and basically takes you to the home screen

3) instead of project butter making the phone faster, it has in fact made it slightly laggy :-S

4) NFC and S-Beam not working

These are the main ones I can think of right now, but I'm sure there are loads more. Please help I'm going crazy!

P.s. another peculiarity I noticed about this phone from the start - nothing to do with JellyBean:

Have you guys noticed in the stock music player
    There's NO way to go to the "Artists/Album/Songs" etc categories WITHOUT going through the "music square" thing which is strange cuz every other mp3 player or music app gives most importance to the Artists - Album - Song etc categories :-S

Default Re: 4.1.1 destroyed my S3 :-(

Just do a factory reset...it should fix all those problems...its usually a good idea to factory reset after a major update to refresh the new OS, it's nto that bad
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

Quote Originally Posted by smooth4lyfe View Post
    Just do a factory reset...it should fix all those problems...its usually a good idea to factory reset after a major update to refresh the new OS, it's nto that bad
    Read this for samsungs way of factory resetting if having probs after update
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...ml#post2363870

Unbranded international s3 with Official JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:
    GT-I9300, UK
    Thanked by 2:
    mssca and smooth4lyfe like this.

Do this!!
    smooth4lyfe likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by boriscardozo View Post

P.s. another peculiarity I noticed about this phone from the start - nothing to do with JellyBean:

There's NO way to go to the "Artists/Album/Songs" etc categories WITHOUT going through the "music square" thing which is strange cuz every other mp3 player or music app gives most importance to the Artists - Album - Song etc categories :-S

There is another way but it's slightly longer if you are looking specifically for an artists list...
    Press the bottom right (playlist) button, then use the back navigation (top left) to come out of the current playlist.

As for the other issues, I haven't tried nfc on a known item since updating so can't comment but the rest I am not experiencing... but to bypass the home button waking the phone but minimising the app issue, I would recommend using a short press on the power button to wake the phone.

wont this reset contacts and profile info?

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Quote Originally Posted by asgord View Post
    Yeah its a full reset. Put your contacts in your gmail then you wont ever have to worry about it again! I did this years ago and now switching phones is just easy. Sync it up!
    HTC One (ATT GSM)
    Palm Pre- > HTC Evo 3D > HTC One X (White) > Samsung Galaxy S3 (White) > HTC One (Silver)
    If any of my posts help you don't forget to thank/like it!!
    funkylogik likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GrooveRite View Post
    Do this!!
    I also say do this. When I upgraded I was okay as some people are but there are many in the Sprint forum that had your same issues and found a factory reset fixed a ton of issues.

Also some did a SD card format (if you have one) which solved some major battery drains.

Try these and report back!

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums
    funkylogik likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by asgord View Post
    You can back up your contacts and profile to your Gmail account, and once you factory reset, they all should sync back to your phone
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Ok I'll give factory reset a shot and let you all know how that turns out!
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by bakeri666 View Post
    There is another way but it's slightly longer if you are looking specifically for an artists list...
    Press the bottom right (playlist) button, then use the back navigation (top left) to come out of the current playlist.

As for the other issues, I haven't tried nfc on a known item since updating so can't comment but the rest I am not experiencing... but to bypass the home button waking the phone but minimising the app issue, I would recommend using a short press on the power button to wake the phone.
    Thanks:-) but unfortunately, the method that you described above for the music player only works if that is the path I followed to GET TO THAT PLAYLIST....In the sense, if I'm on the artist page -> then select an artist -> then select and album -> then select a song - only THEN will pressing the back key (top left) take me back from song to album to artist and so forth.

Try this, close your music app (options key - end), then go to the playlist (bottom right button) and then press the back key (top left), it will just bring you back to the track currently playing. So the back key only works as per how you navigated to get there :-(

The power button tap to wake up the phone works though!:-) But I always prefered it as the home Key....can anyone with 4.1.1 confirm if their screen can be woken up with the home key WITHOUT minimizing the app??

Thanks all!

Hey all,

Before I go absolutely mental mouthing off at the new JellyBean update, I need to know if it's just me, or the update itself.

I personally used to think was the best phone ever made, untouchable, too good to be true even! - until JellyBean 4.1.1 came out. So can anyone tell me if they have the following issues, and if so, how to fix them!?

1) Battery life taking a major hit and going from 23 odd hours to around 10-12 hours after the update

2) if and when the screen timeouts and goes off, pressing the home key puts it back on - BUT closes the app that you were viewing as well!:-(( e.g. if your viewing the browser and the screen goes off, pressing the home key puts the screen back on, but closes the browser as well (and basically takes you to the home screen

3) instead of project butter making the phone faster, it has in fact made it slightly laggy :-S

4) NFC and S-Beam not working

These are the main ones I can think of right now, but I'm sure there are loads more. Please help I'm going crazy!

No problems here on 4.1.1

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

The power button tap to wake up the phone works though!:-) But I always prefered it as the home Key....can anyone with 4.1.1 confirm if their screen can be woken up with the home key WITHOUT minimizing the app??

Thanks all!
    Open S Voice, go to settings, be sure check is in box for "Open via the home key".

I was having the same problem, this solved the issue. You may have to reboot after the change before it will work.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by 2:

I accidentally added a home screen. Now when I try to delete it to the trash can icon the phone freezes for about 10 seconds then a box comes up saying touch wiz has stopped. This is after the jellybean update.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Well OP?!?!? Have you factory resetted and reformatted (if you have micro SD card installed) yet????

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

Quote Originally Posted by GrooveRite View Post
    Well OP?!?!? Have you factory resetted and reformatted (if you have micro SD card installed) yet????
    +1

Unbranded international s3 with Official JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:
    GT-I9300, UK

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

Quote Originally Posted by Capthowdyy View Post
    I accidentally added a home screen. Now when I try to delete it to the trash can icon the phone freezes for about 10 seconds then a box comes up saying touch wiz has stopped. This is after the jellybean update.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    JB update has been a mess. If i was u, id just live with the extra screen and use it to store custom widgets ive made for other h/s set-ups like i have and wait for the next update to fix things.
    OR factory reset which is a PIA

GT-I9300, UK

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

.......or download Nova launcher and import your set-up, its worth it

GT-I9300, UK

ROM
    stock JB 4.1.1 / root

Quote Originally Posted by Connert View Post
    Open S Voice, go to settings, be sure check is in box for "Open via the home key".

I was having the same problem, this solved the issue. You may have to reboot after the change before it will work.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    Thanks! I had unchecked the box following the forums "How to Improve Home button responsiveness" video. Checked the box and all is well.
    funkylogik likes this.