Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By piizzadude
  • 1 Post By leprechaunshawn
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default One website always opens mobile version

Iím not sure if Iím posting this in the right forum since itís happening on both of my Android devices, Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Tab. So, I figure Iíll put it here since this forum gets a bit more traffic than the tablet forum.

I have a particular website I like to visit. Itís nothing dirty, just the website for my local newspaper, . Iíve tried the stock browser, Chrome and Dolphin and it seems that no matter what I do, my phone and tablet will not open the desktop version of the website. I mostly use Chrome and have selected the option to request desktop version and it still opens the mobile version.

Could it be something with that particular website that wonít allow the full version to open on a mobile device, or am I missing a setting somewhere?
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Default Re: One website always opens mobile version

yeah it could be a poorly coded website that will not allow a redirect to the desktop version if a mobile device it detected.
    smooth4lyfe likes this.

Yeah seems like its the website coding...usually websites with mobile versions allow a link to change to the desktop version...I don't see it on this website

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

Try deleting "m." (M dot) from start of address bar and reload. Then bookmark it if it works

Unbranded international s3 with Official JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:
    GT-I9300, UK

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

UPDATE. doesent seem to have a DT version.. does it work on PC?

Unbranded international s3 with Official JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:
    GT-I9300, UK
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Yeah it does have a desktop version. I think, and I only took a quick glance at the code, that instead of having a m. Version, they actually scale to meet the device. Like I said, bad code

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

These are the kind of answers I was hoping not to get. Worst part is, I pay for access to that website.
    funkylogik likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

maybe use the e-edition in the upper corner

ROM
    Android 2.3.4 :-(

Quote Originally Posted by thecorrigan44 View Post
    Iím not sure if Iím posting this in the right forum since itís happening on both of my Android devices, Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Tab. So, I figure Iíll put it here since this forum gets a bit more traffic than the tablet forum.

I have a particular website I like to visit. Itís nothing dirty, just the website for my local newspaper, . Iíve tried the stock browser, Chrome and Dolphin and it seems that no matter what I do, my phone and tablet will not open the desktop version of the website. I mostly use Chrome and have selected the option to request desktop version and it still opens the mobile version.

Could it be something with that particular website that wonít allow the full version to open on a mobile device, or am I missing a setting somewhere?
    What's happening in your situation is the following:
    • The browser connects to the website
    • The website receives the connection, and identifies what type of browser/device is accessing the site
    • The site identifies that it's a mobile device, and redirects the browser to the mobile version of the website

Removing the "m" or "mobile" from the start of the address won't help, as you go back to the first step above.

How to solve it: you must change the browser's User Agent setting. In Dolphin Browser, for instance, go to Toolbox / User Agent, and you'll find four options:
    1. Android (default)
    2. Desktop (this is the option you want)
    3. iPhone
    4. iPad

Once you select "Desktop" as the user agent, Dolphin will identify itself as a desktop browser. The website will be happy with that and not redirect it to the mobile version.

The same setting should exist in any decent browser.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

It exists in chrome but doesnt work.
    Id try Opera Mobile as a last resort. Set user agent to desktop..
    Maybe try Firefox.. a lot of sites dont yet recognise it as a mobile browser.. just a thought.
    Id mail the site n complain tbh since u pay for it

GT-I9300, UK
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Thanks Michael! Your instructions worked perfectly.