1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Format SDXC micro card?

I have a 64gig Sandisk SDXC card on the way. Do I need to format it with my GS3 before using it?

Default Re: Format SDXC micro card?

Yes I would highly recommend formatting it to Fat32.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Android Central Forums

They generally come formatted from the factory, but it's probably a good idea to reformat it your phone anyway. Note, however, that if you format it in the phone it'll be using exfat, not FAT32. The only way to format it as FAT32 is in a computer, and you typically have to use a special utility.
    I didn't have any problems after formatting my 64GB SDCard in the phone; at least, until I decided to try out encryption. The card has been unusable since then.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by Tarant View Post
    Yes I would highly recommend formatting it to Fat32.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Android Central Forums
    Fat32? It's an XC card, not HC.
    I have it in the phone now, formatted from SanDisk. I'll leave it as is. It's working fine.

---
    Never had an iphone, and don't want one. Tapatalk on Samsung GS3.
    Last edited by AxlMyk; 11-29-2012 at 03:07 PM.
    Samsung Galaxy S3 4gLTE
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by GSDer View Post
    They generally come formatted from the factory, but it's probably a good idea to reformat it your phone anyway. Note, however, that if you format it in the phone it'll be using exfat, not FAT32. The only way to format it as FAT32 is in a computer, and you typically have to use a special utility.
    I didn't have any problems after formatting my 64GB SDCard in the phone; at least, until I decided to try out encryption. The card has been unusable since then.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2
    Yes, it was formatted from SanDisk as exFat.
    I've move my photos and other documents to it. Seems pretty fast, compared to my old SDHC card that the phone fried.
    Samsung Galaxy S3 4gLTE
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by GSDer View Post
    It came formatted exFat from Sandisk. The phone accepted it as that, and I have moved docs and pics to it.
    Not going to mess with it. The phone fried my old 32gig SDHC card.
    Samsung Galaxy S3 4gLTE

If you do a search you will find many many threads about SDXC card issues. Some people have no issues at all, many will have a card work fine for a while then it fails and some people cant use the card unless its been formatted to Fat32.

My Sandisk Ultra 64gb SDXC worked out of the package with only being formatted through the phone, however when i tried to access the card through clockwork recovery i just got an error.

You dont have to reformat it, some people never have, but if you do a search you will find the odds are not in your favor.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

The odds weren't in my favor with the HC card. The problems aren't limited to the XC, but posts I've read indicate more HC cards went bad than XC.
    Samsung Galaxy S3 4gLTE