Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

Default Miss my Blackberry!

Hi,
    I just gave up my BlackBerry 9780, and purchased the Samsung Galaxy S3 after reading so many raving reviews of the phone. I must say, I am totally disheartened with the phone. Here are my top issues:
    1) The battery life sucks! I can't even make it 3/4's of a day without having to recharge it. My BB would go 2 days.
    2) The syncing with Outlook is horrible. I use the phone for business and we use Outlook. I have installed Samsung Kies which sync's my Calendar, Contacts, and To-Do's. No Notes. I have to reinstall the connection driver every third or fourth sync as the phone won't connect. Also, Kies can't back up my Network and Settings and Bookmarks. My BB desktop sync'd everything, all the time.
    3) There is no built in notes tool. There is SMemo, which creates images that can't be edited unless you're on the phone. I've installed EverNote, so now I have to use two different tools. Pain in the a$$.
    4) No Single source for all messages. My BB allowed me to see all of my emails and SMS messages in one spot. Now I have use the two different tools. Is there an application out there that can bring them all together into one viewer?

Right now, about the only thing I like about the phone is the screen.

Sorry folks, I'm not impressed....at all!

Greg

Default Re: Miss my Blackberry!

So go buy a BlackBerry...?
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by empeyg View Post
    Hi,
    I just gave up my BlackBerry 9780, and purchased the Samsung Galaxy S3 after reading so many raving reviews of the phone. I must say, I am totally disheartened with the phone. Here are my top issues:
    1) The battery life sucks! I can't even make it 3/4's of a day without having to recharge it. My BB would go 2 days.
    2) The syncing with Outlook is horrible. I use the phone for business and we use Outlook. I have installed Samsung Kies which sync's my Calendar, Contacts, and To-Do's. No Notes. I have to reinstall the connection driver every third or fourth sync as the phone won't connect. Also, Kies can't back up my Network and Settings and Bookmarks. My BB desktop sync'd everything, all the time.
    3) There is no built in notes tool. There is SMemo, which creates images that can't be edited unless you're on the phone. I've installed EverNote, so now I have to use two different tools. Pain in the a$$.
    4) No Single source for all messages. My BB allowed me to see all of my emails and SMS messages in one spot. Now I have use the two different tools. Is there an application out there that can bring them all together into one viewer?

Right now, about the only thing I like about the phone is the screen.

Sorry folks, I'm not impressed....at all!

Greg
    1. The battery should be lasting longer than that as my wife gets about 10 hours out if hers. Might check to set what is using the battery up in the settings.
    2. Your network settings can be backed up to Google by going into the settings under backup (not sure if this is in the same place on the SIII, but will look when my wife gets home).
    3. Don't have any input on a good notes app as I use Google Drive, but that might not provide the functionality that your used to.
    4. I don't have any suggestions for the universal message center but there might be an app that has that feature. I know my old Motorola had it built in but I never used it.

Hope some if this helped.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by crester View Post
    Sometimes I think we need a "no thanks" button here. Thanks for the useful post (NOT.)
    Longtime BlackBerry user, navigating my way through the Android forest,
    sometimes wishing for a better map!
    Thanked by 2:

You should let the battery drain to zero then fully charge do that once or twice and the battery should get better. Also try lowering the screen brightness and there are some other tricks to make your battery last longer. And I would just buy a spare battery and keep it in your pocket that's what I usually do

The amazing galaxy s3

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

Keep an open mind OP. i realise youre not moaning but an android should be thought of as a clean slate to fill with what you need.
    If u have that patience then youre in the right place (id ask your questions in separate threads if i was u)
    If not, return the s3 n use a dumbphone until bb10

Unbranded international s3 with Official JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:
    GT-I9300, UK

Root it and switch out your kernel that can make a huge difference

My friend please take my word for it transition from one platform to another isn't easy but once you fully discover what your android can do you wont miss your BB at all I promise but for starters root it and put a custom rom on it and your battery life will improve 3-4x

Stock roms are full of bloatware

And suck your batter down like fine wine

Fyi you can install Linux on your phone once you root it then its just like having a full blown PC in your pocket
    BB can't do that

Sent from my SPH-M820 using Android Central Forums
    He who stands on toilet is high on pot
    funkylogik likes this.

Global Posts
    1,371 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock unrooted

Regarding the battery life, you need to consider one huge thing. Look at the differences between the BB (super old technology) and the S3. In any smartphone the screen is the top consumer. I have no idea what model that BB is but I'm betting it has a screen somewhere around 3 inches. Compared to the 4.8 on the S3 that's a massive difference. Also consider the shear computing capabilities of the S3 compared to a BB...

Perhaps you should have considered these things before purchasing. If you really need the BB battery life I recommend you return the S3. If you think you may want to keep the S3, you should look into either a bigger battery (they are cheap and good quality on amazon) or bring a charger.

Myself as a heavy user as well as most people get about 4 hours of screen on time, no wifi.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    4G LTE Thunderbolt
    funkylogik likes this.

CleanROM 5.0
    Please check out:
    My Podcast -
    My Blog -
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Miss my Blackberry!-uploadfromtaptalk1354297089736.jpg  
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

to those that offered helpful ideas, I thank you. To the others....

I do have a battery saver installed, Extended Battery Life. It manages the screen brightness, and a few other things. I've thought about rooting the phone, I'm just disappointed I have to take those measures.

If anyone has any other helpful suggestions, I'm all ears.

TIA,
    Greg

Global Posts
    1,371 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock unrooted

Don't remember who but someone said it's like going from a Nissan Sentra to a Chevy Silverado. You now have a big, powerful, ad gorgeous phone but it will use juice quicker.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    4G LTE Thunderbolt
    neiljay6 and funkylogik like this.

You have to get the phone you like.. If you hate this phone see if you can trade on Craigslist.

Some phones just aren't for some.. I didn't hate iPhones but they just aren't my favorite.. Tried Android and the galaxy series and haven't turned back.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

Global Posts
    663 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock!

The battery life kind of is what it is, but one thing to remember is that you are probably using your S3 more than you did your BB. Some of it will be because it's new and some will be because it is so much more capable. I know when I replaced my Blackberry with my first Android device I did much more Web browsing and video watching than I did on the BB. In fact, I'd start picking my phone up for things that I might have grabbed my laptop for when I had a blackberry. You will never get two days, but a day of moderate use should be possible.

I gave up on using the native email client for Outlook within 5 minutes of using Android. Instead I use Touchdown, although Moxier Mail is good too. Neither are free, but worth the price.

Before coming to the dark side, the universal in box was on of my favorite features in BB. Now I don't want to go back. Mixing my work and personal message in one box made me feel the urge to immediately respond. Keeping the work mail isolated makes it much easier to ignore if it's after hours.

Good luck with the device, but make sure you give it the full number of days the return policy allows before returning. Also remember that they are different devices that do many of the same things a different way. Don't try to force the BB way to work, it will lead to a poor experience.

Steve

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

Quote Originally Posted by jaj6503 View Post
    CleanROM 5.0
    Please check out:
    My Podcast -
    My Blog -
    Any link to dnownload podcasts directly mate?
    And is that your site?
    And whats the cleanest MOST STABLE, finished, vanilla jb rom youd recommend (for unbranded international? :beer:

Unbranded international s3 with Official JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:
    GT-I9300, UK
    Thanked by:
    Srambo217 likes this.

Jesus Christ...Have you ever compared the hardware of a 9780 and a S3?

1) The 9780 has a 2.4" screen, ~600MHz processor, tiny storage/RAM, 5MP camera, and the fact it does not run 4G or LTE. Automatically the 9780 does not use as much as hardware so it doesn't need much juice to power the phone. You're also getting horrible battery life for an S3 if it cant even last 3/4 of a day. I check my phone every hour or sooner, with hours of news reading, a few minutes of games, texting, calling, browsing. I can get through the day fine, and if I forget the charge the phone can last until noon the next day.

2) I can understand your point of view.

3) I can't really understand this one. Yes the default SMemo creates a picture, but not every phone has a great default app. If you feel EverNote is better then just use that instead of switching.

4) This one is just a opinion. What phone/OS uses a integrated email/message app? Blackberry and thats about it. iOS has their own email and message app, Android has their own, I can't say anything about Windows and WebOS as I don't remember.

The conclusion is your needs are different from what the S3 can provide and what our needs our. Your needs fit well with a Blackberry so if you can't stand the S3 you should get a cheap Blackberry replacement until a BB10 phone is released.

Quote Originally Posted by DallasFlier View Post
    Sometimes I think we need a "no thanks" button here. Thanks for the useful post (NOT.)
    Excuse me? The guy clearly says he doesn't like the Samsung and says he really misses the blackberry world. So why should he use a phone (Samsung) just because OTHER people say it's a great phone.

If he likes BlackBerry he should get a BlackBerry. People should buy phones because it suits them... not because of peer pressure.
    AbuYazeedUK likes this.

Global Posts
    244 Global Posts

I came from tears of BB too. It was quite a change coming from the torch/bold. Like others mentioned, the specs on the phone are very different and as such power consumption is very different. I can't see myself going back to a berry after getting used to this baby.

One thing, try adjusting the sync settings in 'accounts & sync'. You didn't mention it, but I quickly noticed fb contact sync was a HUGE battery killer so turn that baby off and just manual sync it every once in a while. That is assuming you're using the fb app, which you did not explicitly mention.

Ftr, I'm on cm10 nightly and my used ram (just by default programs has dropped significantly, less than half of what it was with stock touchwiz. I use juice defender to regulate my data connection and easily get a full, busy day of battery. After you get used to the new phone you won't go back.

I will say though that Bb did have the best messaging and calendar apps. Miss them a bit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    empeyg 

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

Excuse me? The guy clearly says he doesn't like the Samsung and says he really misses the blackberry world. So why should he use a phone (Samsung) just because OTHER people say it's a great phone.

If he likes BlackBerry he should get a BlackBerry. People should buy phones because it suits them... not because of peer pressure.
    Think ur thinkin of the wrong post that was aimed at bud

GT-I9300, UK

Quote Originally Posted by funkylogik View Post
    Any link to dnownload podcasts directly mate?
    And is that your site?
    And whats the cleanest MOST STABLE, finished, vanilla jb rom youd recommend (for unbranded international? :beer:

There should be an RSS link in the upper right hand corner of the page, it's not my site just my feed host. I personally recommend CyanogenMod ROMs for vanilla Android, CM10 is great but be advised: If you're in a 3G only area you will experience frequent data drops.

CleanROM 5.0
    Please check out:
    My Podcast -
    My Blog -
    Thanked by:

Last Friday, I switched from a BlackBerry Bold 9780 (T-Mobile) to Galaxy S3 (AT&T).

1) Battery life has been better for me. Maybe there were too many apps running in the background on my BB : shrug :
    2) I don't use Outlook at work. I wish I did. I am stuck with Apple Mail or using Gmail in a browser.
    3) I had to re-type my MemoPad memos (e.g., WiFi passwords and different account information) by hand into S Note. That was a pain, but I don't think I'll need to do the "work" again anytime soon.
    4) I agree. No combined inbox is a slight inconvenience, but I have yet to be truly annoyed by using Email and Messaging separately.

Hope this has been some help! I was a huge BB advocate, but RIM has taken too long to get their act together in my opinion.
    funkylogik likes this.

Get a Samsung Galaxy note 2. It has great battery life and is amazing for taking notes. I love mine, I even wrote this with the S-pen.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    153 Global Posts

Try Touchdown by nitro desk. They offer a 30 day trial. It syncs very well with Outlook. I too switched from a blackberry about 3 months ago. You need to give yourself sometime to get used to the S3. It really is a fantastic phone. And with Touchdown it really improves the whole Outlook experience.
    BEACH BUM

Global Posts
    1,947 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock : Rooted, Unlocked

Hello from a former BB owner. I too fought and hesitated for the longest time, but once I made the decision to switch I forced myself to learn a new way. I have to be honest, it is probably the best move I ever made. I have my own business, and 90% of my time on the S3 is spent doing something business related on my phone. I will say, it will be a little bit of a challenge learning to do things a new way, but the nice thing is Android offers customization and app selection that cannot compare to RIM. Believe me, you will be glad, will look back and say "What took me so long"! Oh, almost forgot you will have a ton of support from members here. So what ever you decide, the best of luck!!!!!

Global Posts
    1,276 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jelly Bean 4.1.1 (stock)

i to was a little worried about switching from BB to Android and have lived, eaten, and dreamed nothing but BB and still owning a 8700, 8100(2), 8120, 8900, 9700 and the Baddest of them all a 9900 and now have 3 Androids Blaze 4g, Gs2 and my week old Gs3 i dont miss the battery pulls and memory leaks, small screens BUT i do still love the physical Keyboard of the BB but i am very happy with my Android transition and all that im learning on a daily basis and will always be a Big BB fan

Quote Originally Posted by empeyg View Post
    to those that offered helpful ideas, I thank you. To the others....

I do have a battery saver installed, Extended Battery Life. It manages the screen brightness, and a few other things. I've thought about rooting the phone, I'm just disappointed I have to take those measures.

If anyone has any other helpful suggestions, I'm all ears.

TIA,
    Greg
    Battery saving apps actually kill your battery try un installing and using power saving mode instead

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast