Buying Unlocked S3 to use on TMobile but very confused about Newegg!

dagoop

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Any help is appreciated, about to pull the trigger on this purchase but am very confused.

This is a link to the phone I'm planning on buying : Newegg.com - Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300 16GB Black 3G Unlocked Android GSM Smart Phone with S Voice / Smart Stay / Direct Call

In the Connectivity section of the Details it doesn't list 4G at all, I'm confused and concerned about this. Tmobile's coverage chart on their website indicates that I should be getting strong 4G coverage in my area but I just want to make sure everything is going to line up with this phone if I purchase it.

2nd question : How concerned should I be about Newegg's disclaimer?

"Some unlocked cell phones sold by Newegg may have previously been locked to a specific carrier. A carrier-locked cell phone may often have carrier-specific applications and branding. Some of these applications cannot be unlocked and/or may not function with a different carrier. Also, applications requiring a data plan may result in data usage charges from the original carrier.

In addition, the cell phone box may arrive unsealed and the cell phone may appear previously handled. The unlocking procedure requires unsealing the box and manually handling the cell phone. In this case, the cell phone should not be considered "tampered with" or "defective".

3rd question : If you do a search for samsung galaxy S3 unlocked phones on newegg, you get a list with one version being more expensive than the rest and I don't understand why? Can anyone clear this up? Newegg.com - Cell Phones, Unlocked Cell Phones, samsung galaxy s3

Thanks so much!

Dennis

Analyss14

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I love Newegg but I generally avoid buying things like phones from them. What you are seeing are probably just phones listed as "unlocked XX" where the XX might stand for the carrier brand. If you want a "factory unlocked" phone then your best bet is to buy an international model. Technically Newegg should have no reason to handle the phone prior to sending it as it is already unlocked, however they might open the box to include a country specific adapter and then put their own seals over the original factory seal (many online retailers that sell internationally tend to do this).

If you want to use it on T-Mobile network, your best bet might be to simply buy a T-Mobile version of the Phone. Check the model number and make sure that is what you're ordering. It does not have to be unlocked unless you plan on leaving T-Mobile in the future and even then you would be limited on where you can use it as the 4g networks are different by carrier.

Just be a hundred percent sure before you order so you are not stuck with restocking fees if you return it because it has carrier specific apps loaded or it looks like it's been previously handled since they already disclaim about those possibilities.

Hope that helps.

Analyss14

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I don't know how I missed your link. The i9300 is the international version which is not 4g LTE enabled/capable, which is why is isn't listed in the description. If you are in the U.S. and plan to use it with T-Mobile's network just buy the T-Mobile version. As I wrote earlier it doesn't even have to be unlocked, it would be the same as buying an off-contract S3 from the T-Mobile store.

However, if Newegg lists the phone as i9300 and then you get it and it's not a factory unlocked international version but a carrier unlocked U.S. model then that is false advertising despite their disclaimer. Again I hope that helps.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon