Samsung calendar and default alarm?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Is there a way to get the default calendar to automatically set the default alarm whenever a new event is created? Right now, I have to manually tap the Reminder button on every new appointment I enter. I'd much rather have it automatically apply a 15 minute reminder, and change it if I need to.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Which sets what the default interval is, but doesn't make the calendar automatically give every appointment a notification. At least not that I can see.

crabbz

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
The option should turn on a reminder by default when you make a new event. I don't think there is a way to update all existing events automatically.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Thanks, but it doesn't seem to do that on mine. If I create a new appt, and don't tap the "Reminder" line, I get no reminder. If I tap the reminder line on the Detail View, it defaults to the value I entered in settings, but I still have to manually say I want a reminder each time I create an appointment.

I've tried the Google calendar, and it works the way I want it to, and seem to be acceptable in other respects, so I guess that's my solutions.

crabbz

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
That seems weird. The stock calendar has my default reminder set in details when I add an event. Ok, I just checked something. If I add a task or use 'quick add' I don't get the default reminder. I only get the default when I use the full details page to add an event, which is typically what I use. Are you using quick add or tasks?

dononymous

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
[Okay, I re-read your post, and I think you knew all of this already. Sorry. I was looking for the information, tried it with the Gmail calendar, and found the work around. Also, I guess this is from 2012, so I should have figured you'd found a solution by now. Anyway...]

I don't think there is a way using the device calendar. However, I have found a work around. If you set the Gmail account associated with your phone (or any Gmail account, I suppose) as your default calendar on the device calendar and use a browser (you have access to more options from your computer than you will see on the device calendar app) to set a default reminder (Click Calendars under settings, and then Reminders and Notifications, and change the "By default, remind me..." to reflect the reminder you want.), it will automatically add a reminder when it syncs. You won't see the reminder when you create a new appointment, but when it syncs, it will add the reminder to the appointment and then you will see it on your phone.

Using a Gmail calendar has the added benefit of being able to view, edit and add appointments from your computer, which I've found helpful when I'm on the phone trying to schedule an appointment.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Thanks dodonymous. But in case you didn't notice, that question was posted nearly two years ago. I now use the Google Calendar app, topped by IRT calendar. They do everything I need and more.