Question about autocorrect while texting: Why isn't "Im" automatically fixed to "I'm"

mindfulness

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Question about autocorrect while texting: Why isn't "Im" automatically fixed to "I'm"

I'm the proud owner of a Galaxy S3 thanks to the recent 99 cent promos on Black Friday. It came shipped with Android 4.1.1. It's a huge upgrade from my ancient phone, a Palm Centro circa 2007. However I experienced my first disappointment with it today while I was texting for the first time.

On my Palm, when I typed out a text message, ex: Im followed by a space, the Im would get automatically get fixed to I'm while I typed. It did that for commonly punctuated words, other examples: Lets > Let's, Id > I'd, Youll > You'll, Youd > You'd. It was seamless and made texting faster, I took it for granted until now...

On my S3, if you type out Im ready for example, it prints Im ready rather than I what I intended: I'm ready. I checked my word list (it's under Settings > Language and Input > Samsung keyboard Gears Icon > My word list), but it's empty so I know Im isn't in there. I know I can choose I'm from the suggestion bar after I type Im but that seems like a downgrade from the seamless autocorrect my Palm implemented for those words. Is there any way I can get texting on Android to behave like how I describe? And for those of you who read this and think I'm lazy, I agree with you! I guess years of texting like that on my Palm spoiled me, I can't go back. Thanks for any tips!

Last edited:

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Re: Question about autocorrect while texting: Why isn't "Im" automatically fixed to "I'm"

I'm the proud owner of a Galaxy S3 thanks to the recent 99 cent promos on Black Friday. It came shipped with Android 4.1.1. It's a huge upgrade from my ancient phone, a Palm Centro circa 2007. However I experienced my first disappointment with it today while I was texting for the first time.

On my Palm, when I typed out a text message, ex: Im followed by a space, the Im would get automatically get fixed to I'm while I typed. It did that for commonly punctuated words, other examples: Id > I'd, Youll > You'll, Youd > You'd. It was seamless and made texting faster, I took it for granted until now...

On my S3, if you type out Im ready for example, it prints Im ready rather than I what I intended: I'm ready. I checked my word list (it's under Settings > Language and Input > Samsung keyboard Gears Icon > My word list), but it's empty so I know Im isn't in there. I know I can choose I'm from the suggestion bar after I type Im but that seems like a downgrade from the seamless autocorrect my Palm implemented for those words. Is there any way I can get texting on Android to behave like how I describe? And for those of you who read this and think I'm lazy, I agree with you! I guess years of texting like that on my Palm spoiled me, I can't go back. Thanks for any tips!

Try SwiftKey 3 after using it for a week I knew I couldn't go back to the stock Samsung keyboard.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Madness87

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: Question about autocorrect while texting: Why isn't "Im" automatically fixed to "I'm"

Because, the auto-correct isn't as good. Also, you could be wanting to write IM also. I know it sounds redundant, but that's why instead of automatically doing it, they show you "I'm" in case that's what you meant.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Try SwiftKey 3 after using it for a week I knew I couldn't go back to the stock Samsung keyboard.

This.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

pappcam

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site

Or Swype Beta which I like better than SwiftKey. I don't swype but I just like the keyboard and the auto-correction better than stock or SwiftKey which I also have installed.

mindfulness

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Just to update, I found out something interesting. If you use the stock S3 keyboard, but if you swype the example words I listed in my first post rather than type them out, they will be autocorrected to the punctuated forms. It's just too bad I'm not a big fan of swyping.

FYI Swiftkey 3 is on sale for $1.99 today. https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ails?id=com.touchtype.swiftkey&token=YX711F_q

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site

Well, rats. I just paid $4 a few days ago. :(
Get it. It's a great KBd.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

I'm not sure if you've heard but.........Swiftkey 3 is really DOPE!! You heard it here first!! :D

Or Swype Beta which I like better than SwiftKey. I don't swype but I just like the keyboard and the auto-correction better than stock or SwiftKey which I also have installed.

I was rocking swype beta when I first got my S3 but I HATED!!!!!!!!!!!! that every time I typed a damn word I would always hit the period so.my.texts.always.looked.like.this! Annoying to say the least! It also never predicted words correctly for me. I tried Swiftkey 3 around 5 weeks ago and haven't looked back! Its much much much better than swype beta...at least for me personally! I even purchased it for $1.99!!....and I'm a cheap mofo!! Swype beta is DEF better than stock keyboard though.....by a MILE!!

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site

Swype Beta is no longer available on GP.

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

I'm not sure if you've heard but.........Swiftkey 3 is really DOPE!! You heard it here first!! :D

I was rocking swype beta when I first got my S3 but I HATED!!!!!!!!!!!! that every time I typed a damn word I would always hit the period so.my.texts.always.looked.like.this! Annoying to say the least! It also never predicted words correctly for me. I tried Swiftkey 3 around 5 weeks ago and haven't looked back! Its much much much better than swype beta...at least for me personally! I even purchased it for $1.99!!....and I'm a cheap mofo!! Swype beta is DEF better than stock keyboard though.....by a MILE!!

Haha. I do that some times but I love Swype!