Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree11Likes

Default Re: S3 - Swiftkey Flow Beta

I think I'm going to go back to Swype. I gave this a shot but I can't get over a few things. I know this is how Swiftkey works, but I don't like them:

1. If I "Flow" (or whatever it's called), I can't get over that the suggested words are what it thinks I want next. I much prefer Swype's suggested words being alternatives to what it thinks I swyped. I know it's a trade off, and Swiftkey's way is better.....if it recognizes what you were trying to type (but apparently I suck worse at Swiftkey's flowing than I do at Swype's swyping).
    2. I also much prefer Swype's ability to just tap on a word and get alternative suggestions. On Swiftkey I have to tap the word, then it only give suggestions for the letters before the cursor, so I then have to drag the cursor to the end of the word.

I don't know....I felt I gave it a fair shot and been using it since day 1, but I just prefer Swype and am much faster with it. To each their own.
    Last edited by EvilMonkey; 12-11-2012 at 11:21 AM.
    winmod21 likes this.

Global Posts
    822 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

This is my first post using the new keyboard and being that I was a long time Swyper it seems to work very well. I've been using the non-flow version for a few weeks in preparation for the beta.

There are still a few things to get used to but so far so good.

Sent from my HTC EVOLTE using Tapatalk.
    Kyo 6035 > Kyo 7135 > Palm 800W > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVOLTE > HTC One (M8) + EVO View 4G

ROM
    Stock: Unrooted

Quote Originally Posted by EvilMonkey View Post
    I think I'm going to go back to Swype. I gave this a shot but I can't get over a few things. I know this is how Swiftkey works, but I don't like them:

1. If I "Flow" (or whatever it's called), I can't get over that the suggested words are what it thinks I want next. I much prefer Swype's suggested words being alternatives to what it thinks I swyped. I know it's a trade off, and Swiftkey's way is better.....if it recognizes what you were trying to type (but apparently I suck worse at Swiftkey's flowing than I do at Swype's swyping).
    2. I also much prefer Swype's ability to just tap on a word and get alternative suggestions. On Swiftkey I have to tap the word, then it only give suggestions for things before the cursor, soI have to then drag the cursor to the end of the word.

I don't know....I felt I gave it a fair shot and been using it since day 1, but I just prefer Swype and am much faster with it. To each their own.
    Me too. I agree with you. I'm staying with for now. Besides, I've been really diggin' the Swype Beta Red ~~ !

I'm quite happy with the continuous input mode on the stock Samsung keyboard, so unless it's earth staggeringly good I'll give it a miss

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by bakeri666 View Post
    I'm quite happy with the continuous input mode on the stock Samsung keyboard, so unless it's earth staggeringly good I'll give it a miss
    Swype Beta Red ~~ . . . is earth staggeringly good !

I'm really looking forward to the final version. I type most often in landscape, using two thumbs. But sometimes I want to type in portrait, using just my right index finger. SwiftKey Flow will let me do either, depending on what I want.

I'm just hoping they polish it up before its final release. And I have read that Flow will be an upgrade for those already using a paid version of SwiftKey. Good thing I took the app back when it was an Amazon Free App of the Day.

Sent from my Blue 32 Verizon SGSIII using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    1,857 Global Posts
    ROM
    TeamSonicFreeGS3 v9.1

After a couple days I've switched back to Swype. Like monkey said above. The suggestions fit more to my swyping. Also the space thing with swift key is aggravating.

After you "flow" it automatically spaces. Swype automatically adds spaces as well but only does it after you start to Swype another word. Which is way smarter and more efficient especially for someone who likes to punctuate.

Global Posts
    822 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I really like Swype but also like the predictions in SwiftKey so I'm giving it a shot for a while.
    Kyo 6035 > Kyo 7135 > Palm 800W > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVOLTE > HTC One (M8) + EVO View 4G

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by Tkbredx View Post
    After a couple days I've switched back to Swype. Like monkey said above. The suggestions fit more to my swyping. Also the space thing with swift key is aggravating.

After you "flow" it automatically spaces. Swype automatically adds spaces as well but only does it after you start to Swype another word. Which is way smarter and more efficient especially for someone who likes to punctuate.
    Exactly! I couldn't agree more, and I also prefer the alternative/predictive suggestions of: .

Punctuation isn't an issue. If you insert a punctuation, it deletes the space. However, the word prediction is very different from swype, and I can see how that can be annoying. I'll be sticking with swiftkey though

I like it, but I'm getting a lot more errors on this than I was on the 4.2 keyboard on the N4. Seems to want to spell much bigger words that I've never even heard of sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Webster View Post
    Punctuation isn't an issue. If you insert a punctuation, it deletes the space. However, the word prediction is very different from swype, and I can see how that can be annoying. I'll be sticking with swiftkey though
    You're not obligated to swipe. You can still tap, or even combine the two.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Not every device nor provider is for everyone. So choose carefully before you put your money down. Then live with your decision.

Sprint Note 3
    Nexus 7 (2013)
    Asus Transformer Pad TF300T
    Chromecast

Quote Originally Posted by guinnkevinr View Post
    I like it, but I'm getting a lot more errors on this than I was on the 4.2 keyboard on the N4. Seems to want to spell much bigger words that I've never even heard of sometimes.
    It's learning your way of using words, spelling, and frequently used phrases. Be patient. And don't forget to submit feedback to them.

Not every device nor provider is for everyone. So choose carefully before you put your money down. Then live with your decision.

Sprint Note 3
    Nexus 7 (2013)
    Chromecast

Global Posts
    565 Global Posts

The "flow" part of Swiftkey Flow does make the keyboard better... but when it comes to swyping... the Swype Beta keyboard is better. I find myself getting a lot of dumb mistaken words when I swype with Swiftkey Flow. It gets annoying sometimes. Swype 80% of a sentence... then have to type out the other 20%.

Downloaded the beta this morning at 930. 8 hours later with in screen time if 1 hour my battery is at 40%. I am going to go back to regular swiftkey and see if my battery goes back to normal. I have seen a few posts mentioning battery drain so I'm glad I'm not alone.
    Sent from my Rooted VZW Note 3

ROM
    TSBB 3.0.3/imo-5.1

Yup^^^^ Battery drain/RAM hog have been reported with BETA... uninstalled and went back to the trusty SwiftKey 3 for now.

sent from a Galaxy far away
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    822 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I downloaded the new beta and it doesn't seem to be draining the battery as much.

ROM
    TSBB 3.0.3/imo-5.1

Yeah, the new beta (4.0.0.6) is alot better. No way near as much of a RAM hog and isn't killing my battery. Flowing is better and the "hunt and peck" is just as good.

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by crester View Post
    The "flow" part of Swiftkey Flow does make the keyboard better... but when it comes to swyping... the Swype Beta keyboard is better. I find myself getting a lot of dumb mistaken words when I swype with Swiftkey Flow. It gets annoying sometimes. Swype 80% of a sentence... then have to type out the other 20%.
    Yeah, but the same thing happens, at least for me, with Swype Beta (e.g.- my post #72 on this thread). I'm still using Swype Beta, but it's getting kinda embarrassing at times, as no matter how much I proof-read what I've swyped . . . it's almost as if it has a mind of it's own, and a very stubborn one at that, and it seems like even after I've proofread and corrected/changed words–to what I want them to be–Swype Beta changes them back to what it thinks they should be. . when I'm not looking, or right before it sends! lol

I'm thinking of uninstalling – and doing a re-install – as it's also been hanging-up ever since I updated my Rocket Player & Classic Notes apps.

Global Posts
    1,857 Global Posts
    ROM
    TeamSonicFreeGS3 v9.1

The more i use it the more i love it.

Global Posts
    1,857 Global Posts
    ROM
    TeamSonicFreeGS3 v9.1

That's my only gripe though. SWIFTKEY... WHY YOU NO CAPITALIZE I?

I hope everyone who has an issue or question is contacting the Swiftkey VIP forum. Don't forget, this is a beta version that is still being refined. Your input is what will help make it great. So please pass on your input to the developer through the VIP forum.

Sprint Note 3
    Nexus 7 (2013)
    Chromecast

I deleted the other version since Flow also does the same thing.

Sprint Note 3
    Nexus 7 (2013)
    Chromecast

Used it for a bit, prefer Kii keyboard to it

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    Android is a tune up sports car with custom interior, sound system, and IOS is a stock model benz

I use Android, because unlike IOS, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not infinitely cluttered homescreens

Quote Originally Posted by EvilMonkey View Post

2. I also much prefer Swype's ability to just tap on a word and get alternative suggestions. On Swiftkey I have to tap the word, then it only give suggestions for the letters before the cursor, so I then have to drag the cursor to the end of the word.

I've been swyping since I got a Captivate a few years back. I tried the SK Flow and I'm back to Swype. I was having way too many errors with SKF, even tried "learning" through gmail and facebook, then tried to reset everything and not learn through that. I was much slower with it, less accurate, but I do miss the pink keys
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123