Bluetooth calls from PIN locked Screen

empeyg

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Howdy Folks,
I may have ran into a show stopper on the Samsung Galaxy S3. I need to have a PIN on my phone or some locking mechanism that is secured, swipe doesn't cut it, as I have working documents and phone numbers that can't be easily accessed. I have a hands free bluetooth device that works great when the phone is unlocked. However, S Voice doesn't appear to work when the phone is locked. I have checked my call settings and the make outgoing calls when locked is checked. It works when swipe is engage, however, this is not an option for me.

Do I need to disable S Voice? If so how?
Are there some settings that I'm missing?

Does anyone have a solution?

I sure hope so, otherwise, I will have to return the phone.

TIA for your responses.

Thanks,
Greg

anon(973539)

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I use a Jawbone Prime headset where if I hold down the talk button it activates S-Voice and then I'm able to voice dial from my pin protected lock screen without having to unlock first. You should be able to do the same by holding down the talk button...or one of the buttons on your headset.

empeyg

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Something I missed saying in my original post:
I have two Bluetooth units (a BlueAnt S3 and a Motorola T505 unit). These are hand free units that sit on the vehicle's sun visor. They are not headsets. Pressing the talk buttons on the Bluetooth units never engage's the S Voice when the phone is locked.

jmelan

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
I have a plantronics discovery 925 that fails to activate s voice as well with pattern lock activated (att gs3)
- s voice activates as soon as I unlock the phone, which is obviously not safe to do while driving.

I think we need a list of headsets that are confirmed to be working/not working with pattern or pin lock enabled.

I just ordered the new samsung hm3300 from newegg - will report back when I get it.

Working:

Jawbone prime (gwappa)

Not working:

Plantronics discovery 925 (jmelan)
BlueAnt S3 (empeyg)
Motorola t505 (empeyg)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I dont understand the rest but i know how to disable s-voice if u want mate?

Unbranded international s3 with Official JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:

empeyg

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I found a solution. I installed Tasker and Secure Settings. In Tasker, I create a profile for when my bluetooth device connects to my phone. I then created a task that disables my PIN.
I also created a profile that re-enables my PIN when the bluetooth connection is lost.

I still say that Samsung has this screwed up and I'm very disappointed that I even had to install third party software to make this work.

Greg

CMeys

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Are you actually able to make calls with S Voice while using BT? I find that it cannot understand me over BT (headset) -- I must be close enough to the phone for the phone's speaker to recognize the voice.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I found a solution. I installed Tasker and Secure Settings. In Tasker, I create a profile for when my bluetooth device connects to my phone. I then created a task that disables my PIN.
I also created a profile that re-enables my PIN when the bluetooth connection is lost.

I still say that Samsung has this screwed up and I'm very disappointed that I even had to install third party software to make this work.

Greg

Might I suggest you go to the Samsung support site and tell THEM it's messed up? They're not likely to try to fix it if they aren't aware it's a problem, and I doubt they carefully read every post here.

timbyts

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I too had major issues with my S3 here in Canada on the Rogers Network. S Voice was too unreliable even with the phone completely unlocked. With a PIN, nothing seemed to work including Vlingo and several other 3rd party solutions. My solution/workaround was trying MotoSpeak. I have a Motorola T325 visor mount and a Motorolla HX550 headset. After installing MOTOSPEAK voice dialing and even voice texting works flawlessly with my phone safely secured with a PIN. My work requires that I be able to make phone calls while I drive and the addition of voice texting gives me one more option to use. Let me know if anyone else has had similiar experienes with this software.

Timbyts

JodiElle70

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi Greg,
Thanks for your post. This sounds like the solution I need as well. Would you be willing to share your steps to create this particular profile in Tasker?
Thank you so much,
Jodi

Luc Robatille

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I am a little late to this thread but I just found a Parrot Slim Bluetooth that works with my screen lock. When I
activated it, it asked permission to learn my contacts. After it did this when I activate a voice call with it, it dials
the number I want itself and the phone lets it through. I don't have to have data on either as I keep it off to keep
my battery life. I cant access any other features with it such as S Voice or talk to text, but I didn't need that
anyway. I am thinking that any higher end Bluetooth that learns your contacts may actually be able to do this
as I don't think this Parrot unit is all that special. I see this unit listed on eBay for as little as $40. Hope this
helps someone.

Mark Zeiger

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Had the same problem with the Galaxy S4 (Verizon) with my car's BlueTooth.

Try Settings --> My Device (tab on top) --> Call --> Call Accessories --> Outgoing call conditions and then the choice of actions should be obvious.

Not sure if other Galaxy's have the same feature.

lopezpa

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I found out how to use my bluetooth set with my Galaxy S3 and wrote up a brief blog about it.

Using Tasker/Secure Settings/Home2Shortcut/BT Launcher.

Basically,
1) Tasker + Secure Settings
1.1) disable the pin lock when connected to the bluetooth device.
1.2) set the pin lock when bluetooth is disconnected

2) Home2Shortcut - to use something other than S-Voice from the home button
2.1) You have to turn off S-Voice in settings of S-Voice.
2.2) Redirect the double home click button to another app (if you want to replace S-Voice with Google or Vlingo etc).

3) BT Launcher - to use something other than S-Voice from the bluetooth headset button
3.1) Select the app
3.2) Connect to the bluetooth device (make sure lock screen is unlocked)
3.3) Press the BT button and the option to select what app you want to use to complete the action (select BT Launcher).

Read the blog here:
My quest to replace S-Voice on a Samsung Galaxy S3 | listentopaul

Unfortunately I can't get the Tasker profiles for you guys because my S3 died (Sudden Death Syndrome) and is now out of warranty due to being rooted.

Good luck!

CMeys

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I was so hopefull when I saw this post, but I couldn't get it to work. Maybe I've made a mistake, so please correct me if I'm wrong. I only want to use the BT headset, don't care about using the home button to make a call. I've turned disabled S-Voice, then jumped to step 3, installed BT Launcher, opened it, and chose Google Voice with the option shown in the app on Play. I press the BT button (using BlueAnt Q2), am asked for a command, I say "phone commands", after which nothing happens. I try initiating a call, by saying "Call with the contact name" but it says "this option is not supported on the connected phone".

Where have I gone wrong (remember, I don't care about using the home button, just the button on the BT headset).? Or is my headset not supported?

allanlaw

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Try Settings --> My Device (tab on top) --> Call --> Call Accessories --> Outgoing call conditions and then the choice of actions should be obvious.

This will ONLY (Verizon S4) work if you disable S Voice first. Then the Google dialer will take charge and allow BT voice dialing even if the lock screen, with PIN lock, is locked. The PIN lock blocks the operation of S Voice.

CMeys

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site

This will ONLY (Verizon S4) work if you disable S Voice first. Then the Google dialer will take charge and allow BT voice dialing even if the lock screen, with PIN lock, is locked. The PIN lock blocks the operation of S Voice.

I'm on Sprint -- has anyone got it going with Sprint?

allanlaw

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm on Sprint -- has anyone got it going with Sprint?
Give it a try - simple enough, just disable S Voice and see it your BT dialing with PIN lock engaged works. I'm guessing that this is not a carrier issue, but an S Voice programming issue . . . but then again, anything is possible.

CMeys

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Give it a try - simple enough, just disable S Voice and see it your BT dialing with PIN lock engaged works. I'm guessing that this is not a carrier issue, but an S Voice programming issue . . . but then again, anything is possible.

See a couple posts up with my report of trying it. If you can see where I'm going wrong, please let me know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol