Samsung Galaxy S3 won't connect to my Computer.

Nathan Benefield

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy S3 Wont connect to my Computer when plugged in by USB.
Brand New Phone
The only thing my phone does is charge.
Nothing happens on the phone.
Tried when debugging usb was on and off.
Tried with more than 1 computer.
Tried using Kies.
My computer doesn't even realize there is a media device connected.
All I want to do is be able to access my folders on my mobile via my computer.
Computer is windows 7 only 2 months old.
A guy at my work has the same phone and my computer picks up his device.
Is it likely my phone is faulty?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Re: Samsung Galaxy s3 Wont connect to my Computer.

For some reason, my windows 7 didn't either, until I plugged the phones' USB to microUSB cable into a different USB port on my laptop. :confused: I didn't try all the ports, but the computer?wouldn't pick up my GS2 Skyrocket?on the first port I tried. I also remember reading something about unplugging the USB ? and then plugging it right back in, on either the Samsung/Kies webpages, or on some other Kies related tutorial page.

Moreover, I've read here in many threads, were member's more in the know about Kies & androids stuff . . often suggest that Kies should be uninstalled, re-installed, and then updated. Plus, to also make sure you're using the cable that shipped with the phone. Hope that may help. Other more knowledgeable member's than I, will be along soon. ;)

JeniferF

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site

Does the guy at work's computer pick up your device?

I had this EXACT issue. I tried over and over and went on site after site to try to get a solution. I took it into the store I bought it in, he couldn't get it to do it either and they gave me a brand new phone and it worked perfectly.

elisheva60

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

Samsung Galaxy S3 Wont connect to my Computer when plugged in by USB.
Brand New Phone
The only thing my phone does is charge.
Nothing happens on the phone.
Tried when debugging usb was on and off.
Tried with more than 1 computer.
Tried using Kies.
My computer doesn't even realize there is a media device connected.
All I want to do is be able to access my folders on my mobile via my computer.
Computer is windows 7 only 2 months old.
A guy at my work has the same phone and my computer picks up his device.
Is it likely my phone is faulty?

Any help will be much appreciated.

I had exactly the same problem though I remember connecting when I first got the phone a couple months ago. I managed to find the phone under "devices and printers". I couldn't open or see any files. But I believe I right-clicked and found the troubleshooter. That determined I needed a driver and installed it. Now everything's working fine and I'm synching my music from windows media player to my sd card on the phone.

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site

I use ES file explorer over wifi instead. Works great.

Lacy LeAnn

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site

try using a different usb cable. I had to use the one that came with my kindle. try using one that doesn't have the bump towards the end of the cord (I think it might be a surge protector?).

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

RFI filter. Shouldn't make any difference, but you're right that a different cable can often make the difference. Also try a different USB port, and try after rebooting the computer.

But it's worrisome that you can see a different S3. Try going into Developer settings and turning USB debugging on, if it isn't already. Does the phone charge when connected to a computer? When you connect it, does it beep, and display a notification that says it's "connected as a media device"?

Ilya Mochalov

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site

Dear All,
The problem is in a usb cable - I tried my Kindle cable and everything was great.
Altough the original usb did work at my job PC with XP on board.

Mark Malone

May 9, 2013
Visit site

You are correct that it was the cable. A good ammount of 3rd party cables that are sold are charge-only cables that do not support data transfer. The cable that came with the GS3 supports both. Its worth it to inquire about that function when you're picking up extra or replacement chargers and cables.

myIphone4s

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site

Have you tried switching to camera function mine reads most of the time on the top setting and 100% on the camera setting

With my monster cable and stock any Ideas on how to fix

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

Samsung makes great phones, but they seem to source their cables from the cheapest Chinese source they can find. There have been more than a few people reporting problems with Samsung cables.

Moy Ainsbury

May 13, 2013
Visit site

I had the same problem and this solution worked - Joy! (also tried plugging into a different USB port just in case). Thank you muchly :0)

interpreter50

May 31, 2013
Visit site

Thank you indeed. I used the charging cable as data transfer cable but it did not work. Then I found my son's data transfer cable (Galaxy SII) that was in the telephone box. It worked fine. One more happy android central forum member :)

George Knight

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site

i had the same trouble with my s3 mini but a changed to my old htc cable and that worked thanks for the help :D

Denice wood

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site

i have a galaxy 3 . it wont connect to my google chrome hp lapop. im wondering is it my pc. can someone help

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

it wont connect to my google chrome hp lapop
It's most likely the cable that you're using. Are you using the original Samsung cable that came with the phone?

You may just need to purchase a new data cable (be sure it's not just a charging cable).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

Jeye Daye

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
For anyone still having trouble beyond the cable, and beyond turning on USB debugging in developer mode, I stumbled upon this and it worked for me...sort of. My Mac acknowledges the phone now, and I can see MOST of my files... Android.com

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

cbgerman

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Issue: PC WIN 7 wouldn't see phone or show USB options when connecting via USB

Solution:
Using same cord and port on computer.
Unplug cable
Remove Battery
Remove SIM
Reseat SIM
Reseat Battery
Restart Phone
Plug cable back in original port
From Drop Down Notification Setting at Top of Screen Select USB Computer Connection
Select Media Device (MTP)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SandiR