1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Samsung Galaxy S3 won't connect to my Computer.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Wont connect to my Computer when plugged in by USB.
    Brand New Phone
    The only thing my phone does is charge.
    Nothing happens on the phone.
    Tried when debugging usb was on and off.
    Tried with more than 1 computer.
    Tried using Kies.
    My computer doesn't even realize there is a media device connected.
    All I want to do is be able to access my folders on my mobile via my computer.
    Computer is windows 7 only 2 months old.
    A guy at my work has the same phone and my computer picks up his device.
    Is it likely my phone is faulty?

Any help will be much appreciated.
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 03-05-2014 at 09:31 AM.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Stock: Unrooted

Default Re: Samsung Galaxy s3 Wont connect to my Computer.

For some reason, my windows 7 didn't either, until I plugged the phones' USB to microUSB cable into a different USB port on my laptop. I didn't try all the ports, but the computer–wouldn't pick up my GS2 Skyrocket–on the first port I tried. I also remember reading something about unplugging the USB – and then plugging it right back in, on either the Samsung/Kies webpages, or on some other Kies related tutorial page.

Moreover, I've read here in many threads, were member's more in the know about Kies & androids stuff . . often suggest that Kies should be uninstalled, re-installed, and then updated. Plus, to also make sure you're using the cable that shipped with the phone. Hope that may help. Other more knowledgeable member's than I, will be along soon.

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts

Does the guy at work's computer pick up your device?

I had this EXACT issue. I tried over and over and went on site after site to try to get a solution. I took it into the store I bought it in, he couldn't get it to do it either and they gave me a brand new phone and it worked perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Benefield View Post
    Samsung Galaxy S3 Wont connect to my Computer when plugged in by USB.
    Brand New Phone
    The only thing my phone does is charge.
    Nothing happens on the phone.
    Tried when debugging usb was on and off.
    Tried with more than 1 computer.
    Tried using Kies.
    My computer doesn't even realize there is a media device connected.
    All I want to do is be able to access my folders on my mobile via my computer.
    Computer is windows 7 only 2 months old.
    A guy at my work has the same phone and my computer picks up his device.
    Is it likely my phone is faulty?

Any help will be much appreciated.
    I had exactly the same problem though I remember connecting when I first got the phone a couple months ago. I managed to find the phone under "devices and printers". I couldn't open or see any files. But I believe I right-clicked and found the troubleshooter. That determined I needed a driver and installed it. Now everything's working fine and I'm synching my music from windows media player to my sd card on the phone.

I use ES file explorer over wifi instead. Works great.
    Samsung Galaxy S3 4gLTE

try using a different usb cable. I had to use the one that came with my kindle. try using one that doesn't have the bump towards the end of the cord (I think it might be a surge protector?).

RFI filter. Shouldn't make any difference, but you're right that a different cable can often make the difference. Also try a different USB port, and try after rebooting the computer.

But it's worrisome that you can see a different S3. Try going into Developer settings and turning USB debugging on, if it isn't already. Does the phone charge when connected to a computer? When you connect it, does it beep, and display a notification that says it's "connected as a media device"?
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

Dear All,
    The problem is in a usb cable - I tried my Kindle cable and everything was great.
    Altough the original usb did work at my job PC with XP on board.

You are correct that it was the cable. A good ammount of 3rd party cables that are sold are charge-only cables that do not support data transfer. The cable that came with the GS3 supports both. Its worth it to inquire about that function when you're picking up extra or replacement chargers and cables.

Have you tried switching to camera function mine reads most of the time on the top setting and 100% on the camera setting

With my monster cable and stock any Ideas on how to fix
    Current phone- AT&T galaxy S4 16gb. 32gb storage. otter box defender. running MF3 ota, rooted and safe strapped
    rom slots 1, used for flashing test roms. my daily driver is alpha v10 on rom slot 2
    old phones- Blackberry curve-> iphone 3gs->iphone 4s->galaxy S3->galaxy S4

deffinatley a cable issue just swapped mine and now works fine. hope this helps

Samsung makes great phones, but they seem to source their cables from the cheapest Chinese source they can find. There have been more than a few people reporting problems with Samsung cables.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

I had the same problem and this solution worked - Joy! (also tried plugging into a different USB port just in case). Thank you muchly :0)

Thank you indeed. I used the charging cable as data transfer cable but it did not work. Then I found my son's data transfer cable (Galaxy SII) that was in the telephone box. It worked fine. One more happy android central forum member :-)

i had the same trouble with my s3 mini but a changed to my old htc cable and that worked thanks for the help

i have a galaxy 3 . it wont connect to my google chrome hp lapop. im wondering is it my pc. can someone help

Quote Originally Posted by Denice wood View Post
    it wont connect to my google chrome hp lapop
    It's most likely the cable that you're using. Are you using the original Samsung cable that came with the phone?

You may just need to purchase a new data cable (be sure it's not just a charging cable).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

Default Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 won't connect to my Computer.

For anyone still having trouble beyond the cable, and beyond turning on USB debugging in developer mode, I stumbled upon this and it worked for me...sort of. My Mac acknowledges the phone now, and I can see MOST of my files...

Default Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 won't connect to my Computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeye Daye View Post
    I stumbled upon this and it worked
    Welcome to the forums and thanks for posting your solution! We don't get many Mac solutions so yours is very welcome.

You could try something like AirDroid: if you want to do away with the cable or if there are files that you're still not seeing.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk