What If...?

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
So what if Apple wakes up and iOS 7 takes customization ques and widgets from android? Then the playing field becomes a lot more level and vanilla. It will certainly make for an interesting 2013.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
The problem with that is that then they would be copy cats and it would degrade their brand. That is unless they added widgets and tried to act like it was their idea.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
the article I read says that the iP5s is just going to be a small upgrade and ....wait for it...here comes the innovation....6-8 colors!!!! They are not going to change that much..

Ichi_Bear

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
That would be interesting! I love how I can customise my Android phone! I think I would get bored very quickly if I got an iPhone 5 after having a Samsung Galaxy S3 and an S2 before this ;)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

xKrNMBoYx

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
There is one thing though...it will not happen..not to the degree that we can. Apple would have to give up too much control over things.

I agree. Apple is all about control, whether its over their hardware, software, apps, money, and even us users. I mean to an extent I'm sure Apple will be able to get full fledged widgets like us some day due to the large jailbreak/rooting community they have. But not on vanilla iOS. They would be going back on their core principles/ideas. I mean they already went against their 3.5" for phones and 10" for tablets. If they let custom widgets come into play and a lot of bugs occured this would be their response. "You're doing it wrong" etc.

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I agree. Apple is all about control, whether its over their hardware, software, apps, money, and even us users. I mean to an extent I'm sure Apple will be able to get full fledged widgets like us some day due to the large jailbreak/rooting community they have. But not on vanilla iOS. They would be going back on their core principles/ideas. I mean they already went against their 3.5" for phones and 10" for tablets. If they let custom widgets come into play and a lot of bugs occured this would be their response. "You're doing it wrong" etc.

I too tend to think Apple is too much about control to let this happen and even if it does it won't be to the level of customization of Android. I also agree that the iPhone 5s or 6 will tend to NOT stray to far from the current path. Problem with this is Apple is bleeding market share and sales to Android and a "stay the course" attitude will kill them.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I think that if they don't go bigger in size on the iPhone 6 they will be in big trouble. My wife says she wants an iphone 5, so we stop in at best buy and I am showing her the other phones first. HTC one X, LG Optimus, Note 2 etc. Then we go look at the iPhone and no word of a lie she says, "what's this"? I say that's the iPhone 5. She says, it's soooooooooo tiny. I say ya. She then says maybe you should just buy me a phone.

Insert smiley face :D

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
do NOT discount the iP6 and the iP6 XL

I could see them doing a 4" phone and a 5.2" phone (Something like that). I doubt it will be the 5S though, that one is just a reminder and a refresher (money grab) for mid year....

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

I could see them doing a 4" phone and a 5.2" phone (Something like that). I doubt it will be the 5S though, that one is just a reminder and a refresher (money grab) for mid year....

I don't see them going larger. Apple loves it's one handed approach, lots of ads splashed everywhere about this, and so do it's users. I can see them adding more connectivity solutions like NFC. Apple claims that it's WiFi works flawlessly, well I had problems with this and bluetooth on the 4 and 4s. Connectivity needs to be solved or they will really be left behind.

Ok so maybe my "what if..." is more "what won't they do to"

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Another thought...would Apple add all of the motion commands? I doubt it and I will say that I like the lift to talk from texting feature.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

I'm not sure how they can deal with odd sized devices. It's like they try so hard to make excuses for their devices that they end up putting their foot in their mouths. They set all these boundaries and say that they did it this way on purpose and that they would never do this or that. Then they have to eat their words and it makes them look like morons. The one handed thing is a perfect example. It's not to say that it isn't a good point but they sell it like any larger device is stupid. It's like the whole Wintel criticism years ago. Apple was always always going on about how Intel was bad, then they ate their words and started buying Intel. So they had to play the excuse game about it. If they would just keep their mouths shut and not set boundaries they would do even better. Imo.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
yeah but they went that route with the iPad (2 sizes) and with the n2 doing well...why not make a bit of a money grab?

The article i read on the 5s gives it NFC this time, nothing really shocking, and 6-8 colors. Being released in Juneish so it will be like going from 4.1 to 4.2

trucky

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
So what if Apple wakes up and iOS 7 takes customization ques and widgets from android? Then the playing field becomes a lot more level and vanilla. It will certainly make for an interesting 2013.

If Apple did that then someone would HAVE to sue them.

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Apple has always used the approach of limited offerings, but what it offers should work well. Just adding features without those features really being well integrated is the key. Apple doesn't just add a feature that doesn't mesh well with the rest of their devices. If anything, the anti-Android people out there point out how different apps have the controls in different places, and where you use menu for some things, on-screen controls for others, and it can sometimes be difficult to find where some features are.

So, Apple COULD potentially add widgets and the option to customize things, but the problem is how to make everything work together. Apple has also been VERY resistant to UI changes for iOS, to the point where the "task switcher" or whatever they call it in Apple Land looks like some reject from the early 1990s.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Would definitely improve the user experience if they made some changes.

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

Serial Fordicator

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Apple already has taken things from Motorola and android. Everyone that loves iOS will continue to love it and curse android

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site

Don't think that will happen. Apple devices are nice for someone who just wants to use their phone. Not everyone is into customization and just want a straightforward device. Iphone offers this and more of you choose to jailbreak. I love both operating systems for different reasons and think both should stick to what makes them shine. Android for customizations etc iphone for simplicity and an Os dedicated to a specific hardware.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

I hope Google or Samsung sues the bones out of them

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thambu63