Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Just sayin :)

Before:

After:

Some small damage to the top left corner, but still working. Price for glass ~$20.
    Insurance deductible would be $100+.
    Price to replace entire screen instead of delaminating the glass would be ~$200.

Not perfect, but I still rock.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Default Re: Just sayin :)

what did you use, just regular glass?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

A specific replacement found on ebay. I repair smartphones, but had not done an S3 yet. I just did 2 in 2 days. Most phones have the glass and digitizer stuck down with 2 sided tape on the top and sides of the LCD. The S# has the AMOLED and digitizer as one unit with the glass on top being glued down with a coating of adhesive over the entire AMOLED. They are not designed to be separated, and it is easy to damage the digitizer or AMOLED underneath. It takes lots of patience and work and heat, but it can be done.

ROM
    Stock: Unrooted

Impressive. Nice job!

Quote Originally Posted by winmod21 View Post
    Impressive. Nice job!
    I agree!
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Some follow up.

Not having owned and S3, I do not know how the screen typically responds. Apparently, after this repair, it is very sensitive. My guess is because there is no longer an adhesive layer between the glass and the touch digitizer, and the digitizer is calibrated for the adhesive being there.

There is certainly some setting somewhere under the hood (not in the menus) that adjusts this, but now the phone is out of my hands so I cannot play with it and find it.

Looks good!
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

nice

Global Posts
    2,121 Global Posts
    ROM
    TeamSonicFreeGS3 v9.1

Cool. It's the sensitivity a good thing or do they not like it?
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by Tkbredx View Post
    Cool. It's the sensitivity a good thing or do they not like it?
    They don't like it. That's why I am wondering where I can adjust the sensitivity. This customer was running cyanogenmod too, further complicating things.

Global Posts
    2,121 Global Posts
    ROM
    TeamSonicFreeGS3 v9.1

Quote Originally Posted by BradTheGeek View Post
    They don't like it. That's why I am wondering where I can adjust the sensitivity. This customer was running cyanogenmod too, further complicating things.
    Hmm. Not sure. Looks great to me and I wouldn't mind the sensitivity because of the huge difference in price. I think some one else was wondering how to bump sensitivity cause they had the obex and it messed up their screen sensitivity. I don't think it's possible but if you find something let us know
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

I have not found anything yet. I found an app that is supposed to adjust the sensitivity for a Galaxy 1, but it made no apparent difference on an S3. I have found posts about it, but it seems to change depending on the phone (different hardware), and the particular ROM version. I have not found something for it for the S3, exactly, and I no longer have one to test on.

If you want more pics or info on how I did the repair, you can find it here.