Help me choose a new phone!

uanaka

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys!

Anyways, I've had my little razr flip phone for around 4 years now and I can finally get an upgrade. So I've narrowed my choices down to 3/4 options.

Samsung Galaxy S3 (I9300 or I9305, is the extra ram that important?)
HTC Droid DNA
HTC Droid Razr Maxx HD

Just a little information to help you make a decision. I'm still a student and I'm not really that knowledgeable about rooting and that stuff (probably wouldn't root phones, don't see benefit really) . So all I would use the phone for is general texting, calling, web browsing, games, social networking and music/streaming music.
- I'm not too into the gaming and multitasking, so idk about ram and that stuff. But essentially, I'm looking for a phone with a battery that can last me the entire day (limited to moderate usage) or even more would be great. I know the Maxx has the best battery, but it also has a bad camera (i like to take pictures from time to time). But I like its build.

I guess in general i'm looking for fast and good battery life... the android 4.1/4.0 doesn't really matter seeing as I don't really keep up with it. As long as the phone works, I can message, call, play and listen to music it fits my need.

Thanks!

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys!

Anyways, I've had my little razr flip phone for around 4 years now and I can finally get an upgrade. So I've narrowed my choices down to 3/4 options.

Samsung Galaxy S3 (I9300 or I9305, is the extra ram that important?)
HTC Droid DNA
HTC Droid Razr Maxx HD

Just a little information to help you make a decision. I'm still a student and I'm not really that knowledgeable about rooting and that stuff (probably wouldn't root phones, don't see benefit really) . So all I would use the phone for is general texting, calling, web browsing, games, social networking and music/streaming music.
- I'm not too into the gaming and multitasking, so idk about ram and that stuff. But essentially, I'm looking for a phone with a battery that can last me the entire day (limited to moderate usage) or even more would be great. I know the Maxx has the best battery, but it also has a bad camera (i like to take pictures from time to time). But I like its build.

I guess in general i'm looking for fast and good battery life... the android 4.1/4.0 doesn't really matter seeing as I don't really keep up with it. As long as the phone works, I can message, call, play and listen to music it fits my need.

Thanks!

I'm also a student and have a galaxy s3 I use it to organize my life lol and the battery holds up pretty well with heavy use. I love it! I don't know much about the dna but I'm not really a fan of the razr maxx my dad has it. The build is beautiful but I don't like the Asthetics of vanilla android (galaxy runs touchwiz over the stock Android build)

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Wow. Razr to any android phone might be a steep learning curve. Especially the gs3 not trying to scare you. Just saying... android might be fine for you. As a student I imagine you are young and could probably figure your way around but an iPhone might be good for you.tbh.

The galaxy s3 us great though. For your use may be a bit unnecessary but great phone none the less. I love it. Couldn't be happier. And it's better than those other phone IMHO.

uanaka

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Wow. Razr to any android phone might be a steep learning curve. Especially the gs3 not trying to scare you. Just saying... android might be fine for you. As a student I imagine you are young and could probably figure your way around but an iPhone might be good for you.tbh.

The galaxy s3 us great though. For your use may be a bit unnecessary but great phone none the less. I love it. Couldn't be happier. And it's better than those other phone IMHO.

I've been introduced and used them before, although I am taking abig jump. I'm not interested in rooting the phone yet, just the basic capabilities of that phone. I find the S3 nice, but like before I'd like to know more about the battery life... the Maxx is quite amazing I hear too.

In general, no one really talks about the DNA why is that?

bevcraw

Net Mod Emeritus
Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I've been introduced and used them before, although I am taking abig jump. I'm not interested in rooting the phone yet, just the basic capabilities of that phone. I find the S3 nice, but like before I'd like to know more about the battery life... the Maxx is quite amazing I hear too.

In general, no one really talks about the DNA why is that?

You posted in a Galaxy S3 forum, so I would expect that you would hear less about the other models here.

I am new to Android and the Galaxy S3 after using webOS for a couple of years. My phone is stock and the only reason I considered rooting was to gain tethering/hot spot capability that was not visible to my carrier. (I changed my plan to include hot spot, so this is no longer an issue.) My S3 has good battery life with moderate use. It was pretty easy to adapt to and learn my way around its functions. I assume that you have handled the phone. Some people with small hands say that the S3 is a little too large for them. Not a problem in my hand -- It fits very comfortably.

Once you are introduced to the functions of any of these phones, I think you will find that they are powerful tools for organizing and keeping up with all aspects of your life.

Matt Moore

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I went through the same decision recently and my short list was basically the same as yours (I am on Verizon). I ended up getting the S3 and I can say it is such huge jump even from a Thunderbolt. What put me over the edge was the responses I received on this post:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-galaxy-s-iii/232421-would-you-buy-s3-again-now.html

My thoughts on the DNA and MAXX
MAXX: if the battery is your primary decision criteria, this is the phone for you. It was not for me. I usually can find a charger sometime during the day if I have a heavy usage day.
DNA: I would have done this one but the fixed battery on a phone that needs to last almost 2 years and the lack of much internal available storage and no SD card took it out of the running.

guinnkevinr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I've tested all of your listed options and in my opinion, the S3 is the winner. No specific pro's and cons of either option out of me, but the overall package of the S3 (Look, feel, capabilities, performance) make it my choice hands down.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I guess I agree with most of what everyone above has replied and shared. ;)

And bevcraw brought up an excellent point, when he/she said: "I assume that you have handled the phone."?! I think that's really important. You should go and spend a considerable amount of time handling all three phones, including any others you may be considering. Not just a few seconds with each one, but go to the carriers corp. stores where the phones are actually online & working, if you can. I think that can help with a final decision.

Some people do complain about the size of the GS3. The size isn't a problem in my hand, either, although it is bigger than I really prefer, or I guess am used to? for a smartphone (but then our smartphones have always been iPhones). Back in the early -to mid 90's, we used those gigantic 'Brick' Motorola's? at work? but that was then, and they were some of the first truly mobile phones, that you could carry around with you, and there really weren't any other choices.

Anyhoo, along with all the other considerations, the size and overall comfort in the hand of a cell phone is important to many people. It may be the thing I dislike the most about the GS3. But if the size is not an issue with you . . .then perhaps you should also check-out the Galaxy Note 2 ! :)

WAWood8

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Let me start out by saying I'm NOT a fan of the SG3. I'm on my third one -- the other two fried SD cards and their internal file systems -- and find the build quality to be junk. Touch Wiz fails without warning, the screen freezes when I most need it, the whole phone suddenly crashes. And, as I said, I'm on my THIRD one.

What convinced me to buy it, over the OneX I was looking at, were two features: battery and external SD card.

The removable battery USED to be a big deal, but today, you can buy rechargeable battery packs that can charge your phone through a USB cable. And, these are about the same size and weight as a battery. My wife carries one in her purse -- so she can quickly plug in the phone it she forgot to charge it the night before and the level is way down.

The external SD card slot is STILL a big deal, however, and the HTC phones have eliminated them. The Razrs (which are Motorola, not HTC) still have them -- and I know two folks with them, both with the HD, and neither has any battery drain problem. So, the Maxx is just extra cost (IMHO).

What else it comes down to is the UI. The SG3 has TouchWiz. The Razrs have MotoBlur. Which one you like is up to you.

Also, the SG3 has the better camera (for now) -- but I quit using it after the SECOND one trashed the pix and videos I had taken (forgot to xfer them to my PC right away).

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Let me start out by saying I'm NOT a fan of the SG3. I'm on my third one -- the other two fried SD cards and their internal file systems -- and find the build quality to be junk. Touch Wiz fails without warning, the screen freezes when I most need it, the whole phone suddenly crashes. And, as I said, I'm on my THIRD one.

What convinced me to buy it, over the OneX I was looking at, were two features: battery and external SD card.

The removable battery USED to be a big deal, but today, you can buy rechargeable battery packs that can charge your phone through a USB cable. And, these are about the same size and weight as a battery. My wife carries one in her purse -- so she can quickly plug in the phone it she forgot to charge it the night before and the level is way down.

The external SD card slot is STILL a big deal, however, and the HTC phones have eliminated them. The Razrs (which are Motorola, not HTC) still have them -- and I know two folks with them, both with the HD, and neither has any battery drain problem. So, the Maxx is just extra cost (IMHO).

What else it comes down to is the UI. The SG3 has TouchWiz. The Razrs have MotoBlur. Which one you like is up to you.

Also, the SG3 has the better camera (for now) -- but I quit using it after the SECOND one trashed the pix and videos I had taken (forgot to xfer them to my PC right away).

Sounds like you've just had bad luck with the phone. If this was the case for many, it wouldn't be heralded one of the best phones of 2012!

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
The camera is AMAZING! Fast, tons of features, great looking pictures and video. It's so fast that you don't even realize it has taken a picture unless you are paying attention. In the store, give the burst mode a try (takes 20 pics in 3 seconds).

I've had no issues with the camera or pictures loss.

I've taken a 22 min HD video of Christmas lights in the dark (obviously) while driving through a park one night. No issue at all and it looks great on playback.

My previous android phone (Droid X) had a horrible camera. It would sometimes lock the phone up.

xKrNMBoYx

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Personally I would choose the i9305 or the DNA. There a vast amount of opinions out there whether its build quality or performance. It all comes down what kind of experience they had personally, and nothing can change that even if they are 1 of 30 million.

Have you tried them out? Like physically hold it, try it at a store. That will atleast give you a initial preference. I wish I got the i9305 instead of T-Mobiles T999

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

FuzzyB

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Im new to android. Came from blackberry. I have SG3 and quite frankly, its stunning. I cant put it down.

I run a business and was nervous to get this at first but after the first day i knew i made the right move. I wouldnt heditate to get one even with your needs.

xKrNMBoYx

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Thanks so much everybody for your input!

I've ordered the i9305

Good choice. People may ask what the use is for 2GB of RAM, but it will definitely help if you start using much more widgets. 2GB is going to be or already the standard for new flagship phones. With a Quad-Core, 2GB of RAM, LTE, 720P you're covered for a good two years at least. The biggest improvements and changes I see coming up are 1080P screens, Flexible screens, lighter/sturdier, gpu, and more energy efficiency. I just don't see any more cores or ghz for the SoC unless they get more efficient.

Look at it this way, 2GB may not be a requirement currently but Android will change, and most likely will need more resources. Look at what happened to iOS when iOS4 was released for 3g, 3gs.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
GS3 for sure. I it depends upon your needs. If you need content creation, then the Note 2. The GS3 is one of the best selling Android phones of all time. It's been out almost six months in the US and is still better than some of the more recently released competition. The Note 2 does a have leg up but that may change next summer with the GS4.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

WAWood8

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Well, you can call it "bad luck" if you want -- I call it a "POS" phone.

And, my "bad luck" must be continuing because my THIRD phone is displaying file system error messages when I play music from the SD card.

Also, this is the third model Android smart phone I've had, and the ONLY one having these kinds of failures. I would not just call that "bad luck".

Kami3k

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
With 10s of millions of Galaxy S3 phones being sold and most having no problems with the phone itself, it is obviously bad luck. Or you keep on being defective SD cards on ebay for dirt cheap.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois