Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 52
Like Tree21Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default What do you think? Stolen smartphones

    As a community what do you guys think could help with this problem.

    Rastafari is my king
  2. #2  
    Tkbredx's Avatar

    Posts
    1,948 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,949 Global Posts
    ROM
    TeamSonicFreeGS3 v9.1

    Default Re: What do you think? Stolen smartphones

    Stolen or lost? Majority of people get their phones stolen after losing them. They should be more responsible and the people that take them should have some integrity.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: What do you think? Stolen smartphones

    Quote Originally Posted by Tkbredx View Post
    Stolen or lost? Majority of people get their phones stolen after losing them. They should be more responsible and the people that take them should have some integrity.
    Sorry what I meant to say was that I recently seen news footage on the DC news about 3 individuals who lives were changed basically over smartphones being stolen. Recently Two young women were harassed and robbed of their phones by some cold hearted kids from the southeast part of DC on a metro line. Then another story of a guy who was beaten almost to death for his. Its gotten bad where I think laws should be stiffened for these crimes. I don't believe "bricking" the devices from the carriers end will curb the violence but I personally believe laws with harsher punishment s will. It may or may not work but something has to be done. That's what i was referring to in my OP. I was just in a hurry posting .

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  4. #4  

    Default Re: What do you think? Stolen smartphones

    I have the app "got ya" on my phone. It secretly takes a pic of whoever tries to unlock your phone, sends you their location (GPS), and post their pic on your Facebook. I use it for novelty right now, but am confident it will do more if it gets stolen.

    You tube the app name. There's a story of a guy who has the same app. His house got broken into and they caught the crook with the help of the app....

    Thieves need to be caught!

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
    AbuYazeedUK likes this.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: What do you think? Stolen smartphones

    I don't think it has anything to do with the Android platform. Scum bags will rob victims regardless, but pulling out your phone in a sketchy area is just asking for trouble. Friends from NYC have told me they won't use white earbuds in public because it implies that they have an Apple product and gets muggers' attention. Perhaps carriers could work with third party applications like avast! and cook these wiping/locking/location tools right into their devices but I wouldn't count on it. Everyone should be using avast! or Prey.

    I hope you all stay safe out there. Be aware of your surroundings, don't keep personal photos of your partner or banking information on your phone, and always give up the goods! No phone is worth dying over!

    Galaxy S3
    My Podcast-http://bit.ly/WWSXbz
    My Blog-http://bit.ly/SrqMNr
  6. #6  

    Default Re: What do you think? Stolen smartphones

    Quote Originally Posted by jaj6503 View Post
    I don't think it has anything to do with the Android platform. Scum bags will rob victims regardless, but pulling out your phone in a sketchy area is just asking for trouble. Friends from NYC have told me they won't use white earbuds in public because it implies that they have an Apple product and gets muggers' attention. Perhaps carriers could work with third party applications like avast! and cook these wiping/locking/location tools right into their devices but I wouldn't count on it. Everyone should be using avast! or Prey.

    I hope you all stay safe out there. Be aware of your surroundings, don't keep personal photos of your partner or banking information on your phone, and always give up the goods! No phone is worth dying over!

    Galaxy S3
    My Podcast-http://bit.ly/WWSXbz
    My Blog-http://bit.ly/SrqMNr
    This. You have to be aware of your surroundings and not pull out an expensive device in a bad area. Now as I say this it doesn't mean in a good area you can't be robbed. It can pretty much happen anywhere and I agree that people should be punished for it but even though it is about a smartphone this is nothing really new. People have robbed others for wallets, jewelry, hell even people's cars. Nothing will really prevent it fully but you can protect yourself by being more aware.

    The carriers blacklisting the phones can help diminish some crimes because the criminals will know that it won't be as valuable as a working perfect phone but of course it won't stop it. Some people will rob no matter what.. We just have to hope they get caught and then severely punished for what they did.

    Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
    Srambo217 and geekymcfly like this.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: What do you think? Stolen smartphones

    Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    This. You have to be aware of your surroundings and not pull out an expensive device in a bad area. Now as I say this it doesn't mean in a good area you can't be robbed. It can pretty much happen anywhere and I agree that people should be punished for it but even though it is about a smartphone this is nothing really new. People have robbed others for wallets, jewelry, hell even people's cars. Nothing will really prevent it fully but you can protect yourself by being more aware.

    The carriers blacklisting the phones can help diminish some crimes because the criminals will know that it won't be as valuable as a working perfect phone but of course it won't stop it. Some people will rob no matter what.. We just have to hope they get caught and then severely punished for what they did.

    Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums
    I completely agree. Living in Chicago, the mindset seems to be "don't show off your valuables unless you can case down and beat up the thief."

    Personally, I never take out my phone after dusk, always use a cheap mp3 player when listening to music on the train, and if I do have to use my phone in a shady area I use a wrist strap whenever possible. (It helps prevent phone drops too!)

    Sent from my SCH-R530U using Android Central Forums
  8. #8  

    Default Re: What do you think? Stolen smartphones

    Quote Originally Posted by jaj6503 View Post
    I don't think it has anything to do with the Android platform. Scum bags will rob victims regardless, but pulling out your phone in a sketchy area is just asking for trouble. Friends from NYC have told me they won't use white earbuds in public because it implies that they have an Apple product and gets muggers' attention. Perhaps carriers could work with third party applications like avast! and cook these wiping/locking/location tools right into their devices but I wouldn't count on it. Everyone should be using avast! or Prey.

    I hope you all stay safe out there. Be aware of your surroundings, don't keep personal photos of your partner or banking information on your phone, and always give up the goods! No phone is worth dying over!

    Galaxy S3
    My Podcast-http://bit.ly/WWSXbz
    My Blog-http://bit.ly/SrqMNr
    I also agree with this. While I was in the Philippines last year, I had to hide my iTouch or leave it at home whenever I went out in public. Pulling your phone or any other fancy electronic out is basically wearing a giant bullseye on your back. Riding on public transportation, the whole thing could get held up, and wearing earbuds in public basically invites people to beat the daylights out of you and steal your things. Even at night I had to bury my electronics in my luggage, in case someone peered through the window and wanted to break in.

    I think the best way to prevent is to not use your devices in public unless absolutely necessary. Sad to say though my iTouch was stolen earlier this year in gym, I suppose my fault for using it whenever we ran or anything like that.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: What do you think? Stolen smartphones

    People need to get tracking apps on their devices which can track the phone, lock/wipe the phone remotely, send a message, or something like that...it the best thing they can do for protection
  10. #10  

    Default Re: What do you think? Stolen smartphones

    Quote Originally Posted by smooth4lyfe View Post
    People need to get tracking apps on their devices which can track the phone, lock/wipe the phone remotely, send a message, or something like that...it the best thing they can do for protection
    I don't think that at all. Better to 'conceale and carry' and when robbed defend ones life and person. I have yet to get robbed and not get an item back.

    Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums
  11. #11  

    Default Re: What do you think? Stolen smartphones

    Quote Originally Posted by HavnFunHere View Post
    I don't think that at all. Better to 'conceale and carry' and when robbed defend ones life and person. I have yet to get robbed and not get an item back.

    Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums
    Well if they do get their phones stolen, it really helps..better to have an idea where it could be by tracking it on the phone, then not having any idea at all...its best to not get it stolen at all, but just in case, at least you would have some things to look forward too
  12. #12  
    funkylogik's Avatar

    Posts
    9,679 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

    Default Re: What do you think? Stolen smartphones

    I always say, use tracking apps, use Smart App Lock to lock sensetive apps including "settings" NOT dialer.
    Dont lock the whole phone or itl go straght in the bin unless the thief is smart enough to get into recovery mode and reset.
    Install total recall and all calls made go straght to your email.
    Id LOVE to catch someone, no police involved.

    MERRY XMAS!!!X
    Unbranded international s3 with Official 4.1.2 JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:
    GT-I9300, UK
  13. #13  
    funkylogik's Avatar

    Posts
    9,679 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

    Default Re: What do you think? Stolen smartphones

    Quote Originally Posted by smooth4lyfe View Post
    Well if they do get their phones stolen, it really helps..better to have an idea where it could be by tracking it on the phone, then not having any idea at all...its best to not get it stolen at all, but just in case, at least you would have some things to look forward too
    Yeah ive never had a phone physicly taken from me. I wouldnt back down from a blade, i have plenty knife and sword scars. I had one stolen through sheer stupidity but all it was good for is making calls (i didnt have total recall on that one grr

    MERRY XMAS!!!X
    Unbranded international s3 with Official 4.1.2 JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:
    GT-I9300, UK
  14. #14  

    Default Re: What do you think? Stolen smartphones

    So glad I dont live in an area that requires me to even think about when I can pull out my phone.

    Only had one phone stolen from me ever and that was by a scorned lover...

    Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums
    funkylogik likes this.
  15. #15  
    funkylogik's Avatar

    Posts
    9,679 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

    Default Re: What do you think? Stolen smartphones

    I live in murder capital of western europe lol

    Got a lovely scar on my hand from a samurai on left hand meant for my throat and a nicer one on my wrist where the surgons attatched the 3 tendons i have a lovely pic of the wound but wouldnt post it on here

    MERRY XMAS!!!X
    Unbranded international s3 with Official 4.1.2 JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:
    GT-I9300, UK
  16. #16  

    Default Re: What do you think? Stolen smartphones

    Lol as for me I wouldnt back down from a fight as sad as it may be for my phone...this thing cost me good money! I have never had anything stolen from me but just incase i do, I am prepared
    funkylogik likes this.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: What do you think? Stolen smartphones

    Quote Originally Posted by smooth4lyfe View Post
    Lol as for me I wouldnt back down from a fight as sad as it may be for my phone...this thing cost me good money! I have never had anything stolen from me but just incase i do, I am prepared
    Same, I'm ready to kick some **** if absolutely necessary
    funkylogik likes this.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: What do you think? Stolen smartphones

    Quote Originally Posted by funkylogik View Post
    I live in murder capital of western europe lol

    Got a lovely scar on my hand from a samurai on left hand meant for my throat and a nicer one on my wrist where the surgons attatched the 3 tendons i have a lovely pic of the wound but wouldnt post it on here

    MERRY XMAS!!!X
    Unbranded international s3 with Official 4.1.2 JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:
    Now you HAVE to post a pic

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    funkylogik likes this.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: What do you think? Stolen smartphones

    yea tracking apps r ur best bet, but as far as stopping tha thefts its nothin u can do. as long as these assclowns can resale ur phone on some one on tha stret fa $100-$300 pure profit i dont c it ever stoppin. jus kep ur phone close to u and stay off of it it high risk areas.
  20. #20  
    winmod21's Avatar

    Posts
    472 Posts
    ROM
    Stock: Unrooted

    Default Re: What do you think? Stolen smartphones

    Quote Originally Posted by smooth4lyfe View Post
    People need to get tracking apps on their devices which can track the phone, lock/wipe the phone remotely, send a message, or something like that...it the best thing they can do for protection
    Quote Originally Posted by ybcthanerd View Post
    yea tracking apps r ur best bet, but as far as stopping tha thefts its nothin u can do. as long as these assclowns can resale ur phone on some one on tha stret fa $100-$300 pure profit i dont c it ever stoppin. jus kep ur phone close to u and stay off of it it high risk areas.
    Why should 'tracking apps' be necessary, since most if not all smartphones . . . "Could Be Called A 'Tracker'"?
  21. #21  

    Default Re: What do you think? Stolen smartphones

    Because sometimes it is in your house and AT&T told me they can't track to coordinates like some apps can.

    Sent from my AT&T Samsung S3
    ybcthanerd likes this.
  22. #22  
    funkylogik's Avatar

    Posts
    9,679 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

    Default Re: What do you think? Stolen smartphones

    Quote Originally Posted by smooth4lyfe View Post
    Lol as for me I wouldnt back down from a fight as sad as it may be for my phone...this thing cost me good money! I have never had anything stolen from me but just incase i do, I am prepared
    We cant carry weapons (id love a tazer) not even a screwdriver without a valid reason and in a bag not concealed. A pen is the loophole and can do a lot of damage. The kids are stoatin around with machetes and no idea of how it feels to die or do time.
    Im like u bro unfortunately, i dont back down n now im facing worst case 12yrs (half if im good)

    MERRY XMAS!!!X
    Unbranded international s3 with Official 4.1.2 JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:
    GT-I9300, UK
  23. #23  
    funkylogik's Avatar

    Posts
    9,679 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

    Default Re: What do you think? Stolen smartphones

    Quote Originally Posted by Shanicenicolle View Post
    Now you HAVE to post a pic

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    If you search my random chat thread the pics r there but dnt wana upset anyone here. In one my hand looks like female genetalia lol. Glad it wasnt my neck. Samurai (it was one of the short ones) are such a deadly piece of kit man... like really heavy but razor sharp

    MERRY XMAS!!!X
    Unbranded international s3 with Official 4.1.2 JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:
    GT-I9300, UK
  24. #24  
    funkylogik's Avatar

    Posts
    9,679 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

    Default Re: What do you think? Stolen smartphones

    Dont know about US but here, to make an insurance claim, you have to report it stolen to police and carrier and the carrier does an IMEI lock disabling the phone n i duno anyone who knows how to beat an IMEI block.
    How bout in US?

    MERRY XMAS!!!X
    Unbranded international s3 with Official 4.1.2 JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:
    GT-I9300, UK
  25. #25  

    Default Re: What do you think? Stolen smartphones

    Quote Originally Posted by funkylogik View Post
    Dont know about US but here, to make an insurance claim, you have to report it stolen to police and carrier and the carrier does an IMEI lock disabling the phone n i duno anyone who knows how to beat an IMEI block.
    How bout in US?

    MERRY XMAS!!!X
    Unbranded international s3 with Official 4.1.2 JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:
    My insurance covers lost, stolen, damaged, etc..anything.

    I love Where's My DROID, can find my phone at home, somewhere else, take a pic of the thief, wipe the phone, lock it and GPS it with a map sent to me, down to coordinates. Oh also get notified if they change the phone number on the SIM.

    Just for finding it in your house or is worth having. I can't find it and it is on silent, I can have it ring a loud annoying ringtone for 10 minutes. They are constantly adding features, I like I can take a remote front or back pic and that my signal and picture taking are stealth so they don't ditch it before the cops get there.

    Sent from my AT&T Samsung S3
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What Do You Think?
    By Baconator in forum T-Mobile Nexus S
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-21-2010, 11:53 PM
  2. What do you think...
    By froyoYum in forum Motorola Droid X
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-09-2010, 12:29 PM
  3. What do you think will be in tuesdays 2.2 OTA update?
    By igotsanevo4g in forum HTC EVO 4G
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 08-03-2010, 04:10 PM
  4. Just Got The Vibrant, What Do you think...
    By ur1trudmon#AC in forum T-Mobile Vibrant
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-18-2010, 11:51 AM
  5. 24.5 day Bug What do you Think
    By Tennessee in forum Motorola Droid
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-18-2009, 09:14 AM

Posting Permissions