Am I the only one who's not in love with Google now?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Unlike widgets, I don't think the cards are active until you open Google search. So they shouldn't pull any extra power unless you have them visible all of the time.

No, at least some cards update in the background. If you click on the menu buttons you'll see an option for turning background updates on or off, and to set the priority. And GNow has to be running in the background to know when to create a new card based on where you are. That said, I haven't noticed much of a battery hit.

Brotorious

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I think the worst thing for me is that I have my phone in German to assist learning and so Google Now is in German too. But if I ask it something in German, while it understand me no problem, it simply provides a Google search result for what I said. If I change the language and ask it in English it does the same thing, even for queries that on my friend's phone return more Siri-esque results. It's as though it doesn't work in German at all, and it doesn't work in English if your phone is not set to English. Highly annoying.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
No, at least some cards update in the background. If you click on the menu buttons you'll see an option for turning background updates on or off, and to set the priority. And GNow has to be running in the background to know when to create a new card based on where you are. That said, I haven't noticed much of a battery hit.

You are right. not long after I typed that I got an automatic notification of how long my travel time to work would be. :confused:
I've only used it for two days, so I'll have to see about any battery hit. I plan to turn most off all automatic updates now.

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I think u can change the frequency and type of pop up card in the settings

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 Boyyyyyy!

Yea u may wanna check ur settings and readjust as needed but only email u set it all up its great

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

Yea I turned the transportation settings on and it still never popped up

Unlike widgets, I don't think the cards are active until you open Google search. So they shouldn't pull any extra power unless you have them visible all of the time.

I get traffic alerts and game alerts in my notification shade that are based on my cards which I assume pulls battery even when I don't have search opened. :confused:

Sent from Big Red

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I played with google now for a little bit when I first got my Nexus 7. I decided that google now is a great app for people that want their gadget to tell them how their life is going. For everyone else it doesn't seem that useful.

That said, I'd like to think that google is aware that it is only really useful for someone that *wants* to interact with a gadget at this point and will continue to try and refine it so that, down the road, it actually becomes useful for someone that *wants* to live their life.

-Suntan

trucky

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm starting to get a little ticked at Now. It's told me 5 times now that the Rams lost. Each time I swipe it away cuz it hurts to see it, only to have it sneak back in a little later. Grrrrrrr...

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm starting to get a little ticked at Now. It's told me 5 times now that the Rams lost. Each time I swipe it away cuz it hurts to see it, only to have it sneak back in a little later. Grrrrrrr...

This happened to me too I only need to know once that the sixers lost. I ended up turning it off

Sent from Big Red

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I played with google now for a little bit when I first got my Nexus 7. I decided that google now is a great app for people that want their gadget to tell them how their life is going. For everyone else it doesn't seem that useful.

That said, I'd like to think that google is aware that it is only really useful for someone that *wants* to interact with a gadget at this point and will continue to try and refine it so that, down the road, it actually becomes useful for someone that *wants* to live their life.

-Suntan

Seeing the score automatically of my Jazz games doesn't mean i am not living (sometimes i have stuff to do and can't watch the game). Also it offers weather (which I'm sure you wonder about occasionally) and travel times. My wife is a late person, so travel cards can help people plan better.

Just cause YOU don't use it, that doesn't mean you need to insult people who find it helpful.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Yeag3r

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I just started messing with it. Are the cards supposed to pop up somewhere and alert you for things, or is it all brought to your attention only when you go into the via the home button?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I just started messing with it. Are the cards supposed to pop up somewhere and alert you for things, or is it all brought to your attention only when you go into the via the home button?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Mine pop up in my notification shade

Sent from Big Red

Ceetar

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
just got jellybean yestersday so this is still new to me, but so far i'm intrigued by the possibilities even if I'm not expecting them to be immediately awesome. Curious about this 'nearby photo ops' bit.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I haven't really seen anyone RAVING about it, mostly just people who think it's kind of cool but could be better in the future. I think people are more skeptical because of how useless Siri turned out to be. I bet if Google Now came first, it would have gotten more of that crazy hype.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I haven't really seen anyone RAVING about it, mostly just people who think it's kind of cool but could be better in the future. I think people are more skeptical because of how useless Siri turned out to be. I bet if Google Now came first, it would have gotten more of that crazy hype.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Maybe not in the forums but on twitter and at my job all I hear is how it's a siri killer. I didn't think siri was amazing or anything but it served MY needs better. I want to like Google now as much so I'm just trying to figure out what I'm missing lol

Sent from Big Red

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Maybe not in the forums but on twitter and at my job all I hear is how it's a siri killer. I didn't think siri was amazing or anything but it served MY needs better. I want to like Google now as much so I'm just trying to figure out what I'm missing lol

Sent from Big Red

It's certainly not a Siri killer because it's a totally different thing from what I can tell. Siri seems more like the friend that iOS users never had. They need/want a computerized friend that just jokes around and plays with you instead of giving help. Everyone that i've seen use Siri, it never works when they need actual help. But when they just want to try to make it say something funny, it works flawlessly.

I like how Google Now automatically gives you the info that you will probably need, and then you can always use the voice search like siri to get anything additional. But it's not going to flirt with you or waste time trying to crack jokes about something you said.