Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Am I the only one who's not in love with Google now?

I see everyone raving about it and don't understand then hype. The weather cards are nice as are the cards for sixers games but the commute ones don't update for me after the first time unless I go in and refresh the card, kind of pointless if I'm driving it'd be nice if they refreshed when I opened Google now.

Also coming from siri which recognized my husband's name its annoying when I say "text Teron" and it thinks I'm saying "text to ron" then tells me I have no contacts named Ron...

Not a big deal as I can live without all of this but I was just curious if I'm missing what is making everyone love this feature so much.
    Last edited by Shanicenicolle; 12-14-2012 at 10:07 AM.

Default Re: Am I the only one who's not in love with Google now?

I think Google Now is just... not so much yet. It seems more in the way than helpful. I can see the potential over time so I'll hang in there for now.
    Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

acr456 likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by trucky View Post
    I think Google Now is just... not so much yet. It seems more in the way than helpful. I can see the potential over time so I'll hang in there for now.
    I'll try again when it gets some sort of update I guess lol

I looked at Google Now when it first dropped, but haven't used it since. Haven't seen the need to.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR i

Haven't used it just from reading about user end comments and reviews. I just don't see a need for it, for now, personally.

It's not so much a needed app, more a handy app... I can see where frequent travelers and those who ship and receive now and then could benefit from the cards. Personally, I travel the same route to and from work each day, and there is rarely any traffic, so that portion is worth about as much as another leaf in my yard right now.

Google Now

"Google Now gets you just the right information at just the right time.

It tells you today's weather before you start your day, how much traffic to expect before you leave for work, when the next train will arrive as you're standing on the platform, or your favorite team's score while they're playing. And the best part? All of this happens automatically. Cards appear throughout the day at the moment you need them."
    Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

You are probably not alone. I have my families korean name set as their contacts so I initially had trouble. Google comes up with their name or similar ones. Once I select it though it remembers so I don't have a problem with google now messing up the names

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:

I LOVE IT!!!!!! Its almost like a personal assistant!

- Everytime Im at work, it tells me how many minutes it will take me to get home with traffic
    - I was at Costco, so I opened up Google now cuz i was bored and it KNEW I was at Costco and it asked if I wanted to scan products, so I did and it was amazing!
    - This morning I had an interview, so Google now told me "Make sure I leave by 9:06 to make it in time"...I was like whhhhat!
    - I use it to voice text and its pretty accurate!
    - I used it to set an alarm and it was wonderful!
    - The nearby events could be useful as well!
    ybcthanerd likes this.

Global Posts
    359 Global Posts

I don't get the hype either. It's been completely off on a lot of things and the only thing it seems to do is give me occasionally incredibly inaccurate weather cards. Apparently yesterday it was -26 in the town where I work. It had the right town but was 25 degrees off. I took a screen shot out of disbelief, it had an apple maps moment!!

I only use it for searches, and I think it's slightly overated and don't find it helping me much anymore

Sent from my lightning fast Samsung Galaxy S3 running Paranoid Android 4.1.2 like a #Bawse
    Android is a tune up sports car with custom interior, sound system, and IOS is a stock model benz

I use Android, because unlike IOS, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not infinitely cluttered homescreens

The thing that gets me mad the most about it is when it doesn't know my exact location and gives me bus times for busses that aren't in the vicinity

Sent from my lightning fast Samsung Galaxy S3 running Paranoid Android 4.1.2 like a #Bawse
    Android is a tune up sports car with custom interior, sound system, and IOS is a stock model benz

I use Android, because unlike IOS, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not infinitely cluttered homescreens
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by Soundtrack to Chaos View Post
    The thing that gets me mad the most about it is when it doesn't know my exact location and gives me bus times for busses that aren't in the vicinity

I live in Philadelphia and am ALWAYS near public transportation and a schedule card has yet to pop up for me :-(

I'm really enjoying it right now. I love how the cards vary based on time and location. Very cool. I only wish it could act as a widget.

Sent from my Galaxy S3
    Droid Bionic>Droid Razr Maxx>Verizon Galaxy S3>T-Mobile Galaxy S3, Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
    ibbyj likes this.

Global Posts
    1,857 Global Posts
    ROM
    TeamSonicFreeGS3 v9.1

Quote Originally Posted by LegalAmerican View Post
    I'm really enjoying it right now. I love how the cards vary based on time and location. Very cool. I only wish it could act as a widget.

Sent from my Galaxy S3
    Widget cards would be sick. Never even thought about that. I love Google now though. Helpful in my opinion and go against any siri and you will win. It's fast. Helpful. And convenient I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanicenicolle View Post
    I live in Philadelphia and am ALWAYS near public transportation and a schedule card has yet to pop up for me :-(
    I think u can change the frequency and type of pop up card in the settings

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 Boyyyyyy!
    - Using the Galaxy S5! -

At this point it's kind of a novelty. Cute, but not all that valuable for me. But compare JB to Cupcake, or Navigation today compare to what it was a few years ago. I can see GNow becoming a powerful tool over time.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

Yea u may wanna check ur settings and readjust as needed but only email u set it all up its great

Quote Originally Posted by Shanicenicolle View Post
    Well mine is usually incorrect so don't worry, lol

Sent from my SPH - L710 running Pac Man Rom 4.1.2 , because just Paranoid Android wasn't enough

Main problem for me is the battery. Thinking about just turning it off completely. All those "cards" use battery like a HOG!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    760 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LazrRocketArm View Post
    Main problem for me is the battery. Thinking about just turning it off completely. All those "cards" use battery like a HOG!
    Unlike widgets, I don't think the cards are active until you open Google search. So they shouldn't pull any extra power unless you have them visible all of the time.
    Last edited by worwig; 12-18-2012 at 09:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by worwig View Post
    Unlike widgets, I don't think the cards are active until you open Google search. So they shouldn't pull any extra power unless you have them visible all of the time.
    No, at least some cards update in the background. If you click on the menu buttons you'll see an option for turning background updates on or off, and to set the priority. And GNow has to be running in the background to know when to create a new card based on where you are. That said, I haven't noticed much of a battery hit.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

I think the worst thing for me is that I have my phone in German to assist learning and so Google Now is in German too. But if I ask it something in German, while it understand me no problem, it simply provides a Google search result for what I said. If I change the language and ask it in English it does the same thing, even for queries that on my friend's phone return more Siri-esque results. It's as though it doesn't work in German at all, and it doesn't work in English if your phone is not set to English. Highly annoying.

Global Posts
    760 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    No, at least some cards update in the background. If you click on the menu buttons you'll see an option for turning background updates on or off, and to set the priority. And GNow has to be running in the background to know when to create a new card based on where you are. That said, I haven't noticed much of a battery hit.
    You are right. not long after I typed that I got an automatic notification of how long my travel time to work would be.
    I've only used it for two days, so I'll have to see about any battery hit. I plan to turn most off all automatic updates now.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Quote Originally Posted by smooth4lyfe View Post
    I think u can change the frequency and type of pop up card in the settings

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 Boyyyyyy!
    Quote Originally Posted by ybcthanerd View Post
    Yea u may wanna check ur settings and readjust as needed but only email u set it all up its great

Yea I turned the transportation settings on and it still never popped up

Quote Originally Posted by worwig View Post
    I get traffic alerts and game alerts in my notification shade that are based on my cards which I assume pulls battery even when I don't have search opened.

Sent from Big Red

I played with google now for a little bit when I first got my Nexus 7. I decided that google now is a great app for people that want their gadget to tell them how their life is going. For everyone else it doesn't seem that useful.

That said, I'd like to think that google is aware that it is only really useful for someone that *wants* to interact with a gadget at this point and will continue to try and refine it so that, down the road, it actually becomes useful for someone that *wants* to live their life.

-Suntan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast