Galaxy S3: Your device has been modified. Software updates are not available...

Sincs

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I've got a international GS3 and I just checked for new updates using the phone and I got the "Your device has been modified. Software updates are not available" message.
I went into 'About Device' and 'Status' and my 'Device Status' is showing as "Modified".

I'm totally confused why this would be, I'm not rooted and never have been, and am running the standard vodafone JB update. Also, this is a recent thing as I have been checking for updates at least once a week and this is the first time this has happened. Before I would just get the usual "your device is running the latest firmware" or whatever.

I've done a bit of reading and the problem I am experiencing is usually had by people who are rooted. Also read that sometimes it can be an issue with the external SD card, but I've tried removing and restarting the device and the problem persists.

The final thing I thought it could be down to is an app I've installed lately, but I've uninstalled all recent ones and nothing helps.

So as it stands I'll never be able to update my phone again!!!
Other than trying a full wipe and reset (which I don't want to do) I'm not sure what else there is to do or try. Any ideas???????

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tristan Downing

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: Your device has been modified. Software updates are not available...

Did you resolve this problem? My S3 has started doing this too. I have not rooted it either. My update to Jelly Bean was the official one, done wirelessly through the phone.

Sincs

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

Did you resolve this problem? My S3 has started doing this too. I have not rooted it either. My update to Jelly Bean was the official one, done wirelessly through the phone.

Nope, still not resolved.

And the only info/fixes I can find relate to rooted S3's.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site

You might try posting that same OP/thread over on xda developers forums, perhaps under the carrier specific sub-forum for your phone, or for international GS3's.

Tarak Abu Adam

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site

I've got a international GS3 and I just checked for new updates using the phone and I got the "Your device has been modified. Software updates are not available" message.
I went into 'About Device' and 'Status' and my 'Device Status' is showing as "Modified".

I'm totally confused why this would be, I'm not rooted and never have been, and am running the standard vodafone JB update. Also, this is a recent thing as I have been checking for updates at least once a week and this is the first time this has happened. Before I would just get the usual "your device is running the latest firmware" or whatever.

I've done a bit of reading and the problem I am experiencing is usually had by people who are rooted. Also read that sometimes it can be an issue with the external SD card, but I've tried removing and restarting the device and the problem persists.

The final thing I thought it could be down to is an app I've installed lately, but I've uninstalled all recent ones and nothing helps.

Other than trying a full wipe and reset (which I don't want to do) I'm not sure what else there is to do or try. Any ideas???????

Thanks.

I have the same exact issue after I updated to Jelly Bean via OTA. I purchased my phone unlocked, in other words it is not tied to any carrier. That is how most people get their phone in Bahrain (the country I live). I took my phone the local Samsung service center and they stated that they believe it has to do with the CSC version (This is bloatware specific to a country [as in my case] or a carrier). that I my phone downloaded via OTA. I find it hard to believe that Samsung would put out the wrong firmware version to an entire region. Also when I asked if others customers had the same issue they stated no. So I don't think this is the case. However, their "fix" was to flash my phone back to Ice Cream Sandwich. They told me to not update and that it might take a few months before the Middle East CSC is released. It has been a couple of months so I tried the OTA again and once more I got Jelly Bean and once more I got the the same message "Your device has been modified. Software updates are not available". I hope we can get a resolution to this problem. When the new update for Jelly Bean comes (4.1.2) I'll take ti to the service center again and have them perform it. It I get the same message after that I am going to ask for a replacement. Inshallah. If any of you get a resolution please post again. Thanks in advance.

Sincs

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

I have the same exact issue after I updated to Jelly Bean via OTA. I purchased my phone unlocked, in other words it is not tied to any carrier. That is how most people get their phone in Bahrain (the country I live). I took my phone the local Samsung service center and they stated that they believe it has to do with the CSC version (This is bloatware specific to a country [as in my case] or a carrier). that I my phone downloaded via OTA. I find it hard to believe that Samsung would put out the wrong firmware version to an entire region. Also when I asked if others customers had the same issue they stated no. So I don't think this is the case. However, their "fix" was to flash my phone back to Ice Cream Sandwich. They told me to not update and that it might take a few months before the Middle East CSC is released. It has been a couple of months so I tried the OTA again and once more I got Jelly Bean and once more I got the the same message "Your device has been modified. Software updates are not available". I hope we can get a resolution to this problem. When the new update for Jelly Bean comes (4.1.2) I'll take ti to the service center again and have them perform it. It I get the same message after that I am going to ask for a replacement. Inshallah. If any of you get a resolution please post again. Thanks in advance.

The odd thing for me is that after updating to Jelly Bean my phone was fine for a good few weeks. Status was still normal and when checking for new updates it would just say that my device is running the latest software. It's only in the last week that it has started mentioning that my device is modified.

I'm wondering if there are any apps that could trigger this problem? Tasker etc??
I've downloaded the odd app from aptoide too so wondering if this has caused an issue.

anon(973539)

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site

You may not be able to receive OTA updates whit phone state set to 'modified' however you can update through Kies just fine.

Sincs

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

You may not be able to receive OTA updates whit phone state set to 'modified' however you can update through Kies just fine.

I'm hoping this is the case but I've read conflicting reports that updating via kies doesn't work in some cases too when phone is "modified".

Sincs

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

Bit of an update....

After hearing that the 4.1.2 update was now available here in the UK I tried the check updates option on my phone again. This time if gave me the usual new update is available message. Then I checked device status and it was showing as "normal". So I updated.

After updating I've noticed the device status is back to "modified" and if I try to check for new updates I get the problematic message from my opening post.

Almost seems like my network or Samsung are somehow setting my phone to modified between updates.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

Where do you check the device status? Thanks.

Bit of an update....

After hearing that the 4.1.2 update was now available here in the UK I tried the check updates option on my phone again. This time if gave me the usual new update is available message. Then I checked device status and it was showing as "normal". So I updated.

After updating I've noticed the device status is back to "modified" and if I try to check for new updates I get the problematic message from my opening post.

Almost seems like my network or Samsung are somehow setting my phone to modified between updates.

begges

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site

Thanks.

Hi. That happened to me too but I was able to resolve it by factory resetting the phone.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site

Im rooted with custom kernal.
Anyone know how i can flash official 4.1.2 (odin or CWM)?
ta :beer:

MERRY XMAS!!!X
Unbranded rooted international s3 with Official JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:

Sincs

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

Im rooted with custom kernal.
Anyone know how i can flash official 4.1.2 (odin or CWM)?
ta :beer:

MERRY XMAS!!!X
Unbranded rooted international s3 with Official JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:

Is this what's known on the street as "thread hijacking"?

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site

Oh report it then n have a merry xmas.
Was tryin2keep forum uncluttered.
Please report...
.....there, did it for you.
Ahh the community spirit warms my thumbs :)

MERRY XMAS!!!X

Sincs

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

Oh report it then n have a merry xmas.
Was tryin2keep forum uncluttered.
Please report...
.....there, did it for you.
Ahh the community spirit warms my thumbs :)

MERRY XMAS!!!X

.....and breathe.

nirmalv

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site

Try this. Remove sd card. Restart phone . check status. Subsequently put your sd card back

Last edited:

kevin draper

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site

Resolved for me - Reformat the SD card using Settings\Storage
Diagnosed by restarting with and without the SD card and with a different SD card.
Cause was either (a) use of SDrescan app (b) using SD card as supplied without doing initial format in the S3

Sincs

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

Try this. Remove sd card. Restart phone . check status. Subsequently put your sd card back

Tried this when I first had the problem but it didn't work.

As long as the status switches back to normal when new updates are released then I'm ok with it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy