Galaxy S3: Your device has been modified. Software updates are not available...

2row

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Re: Your device has been modified. Software updates are not available...

This is a bit frustrating. I read all the comments and responses and did everything, yet it STILL shows as modified. I wouldn't care so much if this update didn't screw up the ability to make phone calls -- it freezes up and won't work, not even for voice mail.

Anyway, I tried the whole SD card thing. I powered down, ejected SD card, powered up, and injected the SD card. Still says modified. I did it again except this time I did not put in the SD care YET it still says modified. I did a factory reset. Still says modified. I made sure there are no apps installed that did not come with the stock rom, yet it still says modified. Nothing is working....:-\

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

Did you buy the phone new or used? If used, it's possible someone else rooted it. If new, I'd take it to your carrier and say "hey, why can't I install the update"?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site

If all else fails actually root it and use an app called triangle away. Then unroot.

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

anon(5588954)

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site

You are a champion. I just had this message too and seeing your thread, I have exactly the same SD card installed. Cheers man.O:)

Eusers

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site

...reboot ur device from unmounted sd card, simply do not remove.

Stevensarellano

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site

I've got a international GS3 and I just checked for new updates using the phone and I got the "Your device has been modified. Software updates are not available" message.I went into 'About Device' and 'Status' and my 'Device Status' is showing as "Modified".I'm totally confused why this would be, I'm not rooted and never have been, and am running the standard vodafone JB update. Also, this is a recent thing as I have been checking for updates at least once a week and this is the first time this has happened. Before I would just get the usual "your device is running the latest firmware" or whatever.I've done a bit of reading and the problem I am experiencing is usually had by people who are rooted. Also read that sometimes it can be an issue with the external SD card, but I've tried removing and restarting the device and the problem persists.The final thing I thought it could be down to is an app I've installed lately, but I've uninstalled all recent ones and nothing helps.So as it stands I'll never be able to update my phone again!!!Other than trying a full wipe and reset (which I don't want to do) I'm not sure what else there is to do or try. Any ideas???????Thanks.

Try removing external sd card then shut down phone and restart without sd card. You should be able to check for updates and install them now.

Ilie Neagu

May 5, 2013
Visit site

it works by power off
remove sd card
check 4 update
insert sd card
:eek:

Buda_357

May 7, 2013
Visit site

Hi, Guys
I just got my note 2 last week and a Sandisk 64gb Ultra class 10 ordered on Thursday received it today and had the same problem as S3.
I found the card would not mount so found the card not formatted but was a raw partition so formatted exFat (phone not rooted as on plan) and the card would mount itself.
I found like others could now not check for updates as it was saying the phone had been modified so turned off remove battery and then the card turned phone back on and now able to check for software updates.
Here is the thing if you power down the phone remove battery and insert the micro SD card again (like the normal thing to do with electronic devices) you get the device modified every time :mad: but if you power on the phone and see can check for updates do not POWER OFF the phone just insert the micro sd card and go to the settings menu storage and select mount the card and after 30 seconds the card is mounted phone will now work fine and can check for software updates and phone status is normal. :)
It appears if you insert a card that has been formatted already with the power off and or the battery removed the phone throws the modified message but inserting the same card while the phone is powered on and then use the phone settings menu to mount the micro SD card phone works like it should looks like odd bug go figure.
Hope that helps someone
Cheers

Last edited:

leonbakhan

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site

I have a galaxy note ii and it is not rooted. It is showing the same message.. your device has been modified and no software available. Device status is Modified. Have tried all but with out any result. I have a sans disk memory card 64GB. Any solution?

Buda_357

May 7, 2013
Visit site

Hi, Leonbakhan
When I inserted the new Sandisk ultra 64gb card while battery out or if the phone was powered down I got the device modified message when checked for sofware updates.
If you leave the phone powered on insert the micro sd card then go to menu settings and storage and mount the ext card it takes about 30 seconds and now the phone status is normal.and software updates now functions
Just some odd Samsung bug.every time I inserted the card with the phone powered down or powered down and removed the batery it threw the phone modified message when tried to do software update every time.
In addtion, the new Sandisk ultra 64gb card was a raw partition and it would not mount on the phone phone just gave preparing card message but would not format and mount the micro SD card so I formatted the Micro SD card with my PC to exFat and as said left phone powered on and inserted and mounted the card and worked fine for me.
Hope that helps

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

I have a galaxy note ii and it is not rooted. It is showing the same message.. your device has been modified and no software available. Device status is Modified. Have tried all but with out any result. I have a sans disk memory card 64GB. Any solution?

Did you try shutting off the phone, removing the card, and rebooting (with the card out)? It's beginning to sound like the problem is with large exFAT formatted cards.

Lydia Baker

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site

Unmount it and then check for updates; when it says up to date, mount your sd card again. Check for updates. Should say up to date. Problem solved!

hullborn

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site

I had the same problem, tried all memory card related stuff but still wouldn't update.

I connected to Kies and did the update via the software and everything is fine now.

Cheers

Wayne.

mufaddal.ezzi

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

Had the same problem today..I am unrooted and didn't have any idea why it showed modified neither I had a memory card so I was worried what would be the problem..what I did was switched off the device and remove the battery and let it be like for 10 minutes then I switched it back on and there we go its back to Normal..glad it came back :)

Normand Montour

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site

I have a Galaxy S3 purchased new which i had already updated to Android 4.1.1 ;
I now and then get that status "Device modified" and Samsung tells me that my waranty is void and I am no longer supported.
I never rooted my phone and never will ; This bug might have some serious economic impacts on the Samsung user community.
I tried the SD card removal, even removed the sim card ; the devices sometimes shows "normal", sometimes falls back to modified.
I cannot say that removing the SD card immediately restores the "Modified Status".
The two pictures included illustrate that the device shows "modified" and then shows "normal" a few days later and will probably
show "modified" in a few days...
Do we know if Samsung is looking into this bug ? Will it be fixed with Android 4.2.2. ?
Will we be able to upgrade to 4.2.2. (via Kies?) if we are in one of those "modified" days ?
Is Samsung going to recognize the bug and not void the waranty based on the fact that users have NOT rooted or modified their phone ?
Normand
Screenshot_2013-06-16-21-51-19.png

Screenshot_2013-06-18-09-46-24.png

bruno_257

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site

Hello all!
I had the same problem this morning but before I tried the sdcard thing I noticed that cpuz had updated today.
So I uninstalled it and rebooted the phone and voila, the device status says normal again.
So you guys can check If is there any app that is messing with your phone.

HardyRexion

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site

I just had this on my S4. Not rooted. Was worried but after removing the battery and rebooting all is good. :D

tomichristiancapili

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site

i was shocked guys that my phone was modified, cant installed updates.....so, what I did is removed the latest apps that id installed...(kies air), and the apps that my anti virus knew that "s4 ringtone app" have virus i'd install it instantly...after that two uninstalled I power off my phone and live it for 5 minutes...after then, I turned on and I test the software update, its going normal saying "checking latest software....latest update installed...",.....then I checked the device status said "OFFICIAL".........my phone was not rooted ever since,,....so I suspect was the virus or I think also the kies air(in my opinion that fota cant have rival,...so if you used fota, you cant used kies,...but if you used kies,,...it will say the fota was modified.......in my opinion)...:-$:-$:-$

anon(4054009)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

My new S4 with Sandisk 64 Gb card same issue. I unmounted card but didn't remove it, and restarted. Phone mounted card on restart and all is well (so far). Thanks to the members who posted this fix.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teapotsax