Message App Significantly Higher on Battery Usage after Update

Row C

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
I recently updated my Galaxy S3 with Jelly Bean software and noticed that my message app is unusually high on battery usage. Before the update, my message app would only use about 4%/charge and now it's at the top of my drain list (40%)! I've looked through the settings and can't find anything out of the norm. On average, I use about 40 texts per day only. Can anyone help?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-12-20-09-58-23.png
    Screenshot_2012-12-20-09-58-23.png
    133 KB · Views: 29

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Since the battery is so high in % I would wait till you are low battery then look at that statistics to get a more accurate reading. Since your were only on battery for 4 hours its plausible that the messaging app could be the top used battery statistic if that's pretty much what you used your phone for in that 4 hours which it looks like it was. I see a tad bit tad Gmail but that's it.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

Row C

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
The message app has always been my top battery drain since the update. It was my mistake for taking that screenshot first thing after a charge. I've attached another screenshot. As you can see, I'm almost going on 2 days now on this charge, so I'm definitely considered a "light-user". I haven't been text messaging any more than usual, so I really can't explain the high usage percentage. Especially with such a big difference than before (~4% vs. now ~35%). I should also mention that I've rebooted many times and have even tried taking battery, SD, and sim card out. Thanks for your help!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-12-21-21-19-44.png
    Screenshot_2012-12-21-21-19-44.png
    136.8 KB · Views: 26

Hopper8

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I also have this issue. The only thing is, I have a galaxy s2 which recently got the update to 4.1.2. My messaging app doesn't quite surpass screen usage for me, but it still is the second highest consumer of my battery power. I've also tried reboots (removing my battery for a few minutes in between turning off then on). Just tried disabling 'receive push messages', (in the message settings) so I'll see how that goes. The only other thing I can think to disable is unchecked the motion setting (in system settings, not message settings) 'direct call'. Maybe try these things and post back soon?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
As a first step, try clearing the cache for the messaging app: Settings / Application manager, scroll all the way right (to the "All" tab), scroll down until you see Messaging, then tap that row and tap the Clear cache button. See if that resolves it.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
There's definitely something out of whack there - it's ludicrous to think that your Messaging time could exceed your Screen time, since you typically have to have the screen on to read/send SMS/MMS.
You may want to make a backup of your messages - take a look at:
Carbon Premium: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.koushikdutta.backup.license
MyBackup Pro: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.rerware.android.MyBackupPro
SMS Backup & Restore: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore
SMS Backup & Restore Network Addon: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestoreNetworkAddon
(there are free/trial versions of them available)
and then clear the data for the Messaging app or delete all of the threads.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

Hopper8

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Alright. So I've backed up my messages, deleted all threads, cleared the data and cache. I've also turned off 'receive push messages', and the direct call setting (since that requires the proximity sensor on the whole time messaging app is open in a contact's thread.) hopefully that fixes it, although I won't know what aspect of it fixed it I won't particularly mind as long as it's fixed. I'll report back after a day or so :)

Row C

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Well, it's been a few months now and this problem hasn't been resolved for me. I just learned to not look at the battery drain - haha!
I do want to add that once I dismount my microSD, wait a few minutes, then mount again, everything goes back to normal. This lasts for a few days (messaging app back to less than 5% usage drain), and then it's back to out-of-whack. I also noticed that my photo gallery is also up there in usage drain (3rd or 4th from top), even when I haven't even launched the gallery.
I have a cache-clear app installed which clears cache twice daily.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
The SD card causing the issue may be an indication that you have one or more corrupt files on the card. Since it's showing up in messaging, it may be related to an MMS image.

Row C

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I've since wiped my card clean of everything, but the problem still persists. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
Thank you!

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Did you reformat the card (in the phone), or just delete the files? If you didn't reformat, I'd give that a try.

The problem still goes away with no card inserted at all? Do you have access to a different card you can try?

Hopper8

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I also have this issue. The only thing is, I have a galaxy s2 which recently got the update to 4.1.2. My messaging app doesn't quite surpass screen usage for me, but it still is the second highest consumer of my battery power. I've also tried reboots (removing my battery for a few minutes in between turning off then on). Just tried disabling 'receive push messages', (in the message settings) so I'll see how that goes. The only other thing I can think to disable is unchecked the motion setting (in system settings, not message settings) 'direct call'. Maybe try these things and post back soon?

Ok so after I did all these things, my problem is fixed. Not sure what aspect of it did the trick, but doing as mentioned above is worth a shot!

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Direct call has nothing to do with the messaging app, so it seems more likely the 'push messages' thing made the difference.I don't see anything about "push messages" in my messaging app, though.

Hopper8

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Direct call has nothing to do with the messaging app, so it seems more likely the 'push messages' thing made the difference.I don't see anything about "push messages" in my messaging app, though.

Sure?? If direct call is activated, the proximity sensor is on any time a messaging thread is open. The battery drain associated with this sensor is put underneath of 'messaging' in the stock battery consumption.

Regarding push messages, that option only arrived with 4.1.2 on my phone