S3's are dying after 150 days. No!!!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Point made ... but in my case, I went to Verizon, they told me Samsung would NOT replace my phone, and I had to do that through Verizon, actually, through Assurion (I think that was the vendor) -- and they charged me $100. Had I known Samsung would have replaced it for free, I would have chosen that route, instead.

Never trust a salesman.. Take that as a lesson lol :p. Of course he will say samsung won't do it.. He wants your 100 bucks. Always take salesman as a grain of sale and do your own homework first. I feel bad the guy lied.. I would personally go raise hell at that store because he had me pay for something samsung would cover under warranty.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
And not to rub salt in but if you call them, they usually overnight the replacement and then you mail back the bad one. I always call first.

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Samsung .com. I had to switch my phone out the other day under warranty with my carrier, now I have 2 discount codes after registering my new phone :)

Sent from my AT&T Samsung S3

Thanx bud. Il do it now while i remember... not that im woried about the nostradamasung 150day thing lol :beer:

MERRY XMAS!!!X
Unbranded international s3 with Official 4.1.2 JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:

banjo67xxx

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Part of me wishes I'd have known about this thread earlier as I would have been able to setup backups for my phone, however as the damn paperweight is less than 30 days old, it would have made no difference because I'd be expecting to have another 120 days grace period.

Has anyone else had an SG3 die this young, or has this one been sat in Vodafone UK's warehouse for 4 months?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Part of me wishes I'd have known about this thread earlier as I would have been able to setup backups for my phone, however as the damn paperweight is less than 30 days old, it would have made no difference because I'd be expecting to have another 120 days grace period.

Has anyone else had an SG3 die this young, or has this one been sat in Vodafone UK's warehouse for 4 months?

Samsung will replace it and seems the fix had been on Kies for a bit and the 4.1.2 update will also fix it. This is only happening on international models.

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/01/03/latest-galaxy-s3-update-could-fix-sudden-death-issue/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747

banjo67xxx

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
www.gottabemobile.com said:
The update comes just a short time after Samsung rolled out the Android 4.1.2 update to the Galaxy S3, an update that brings the Galaxy Note 2′s powerful multitasking feature,

So is there more than 1 update which contains 4.1.2?

Pity there's no way I can check the build number now.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
So is there more than 1 update which contains 4.1.2?

Pity there's no way I can check the build number now.

No, seems there was a "patch" to fix this on Kies and then the update for 4.1.2 is also rolling out, but that was also supposed to fix this issue. From everything I have heard, they are replacing these phones, no question, rooted or not. I think you can take it to a Samsung store from what I have seen, understand some countries have those. At minimum, you should contact Samsung in your country and get it replaced since they have discovered what is causing this.

banjo67xxx

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I spoke to Samsung UK this weekend and the engineer I spoke to explained that the update should come with the 4.1.2 update, and that it should prevent further damage to the main board although it will not repair any damage that has alreasy been done.

BTW, although I said my phone died after only 30 days, I later discovered that my 3 year old had been playing with the charger and it was only 95% of the way in to the socket, so even though I thought the battery was fully charged it wasn't and when I disconnected and reconnected the charger I wasn't doing anything. So my phone is in fact perfectly ok. Now going to invest some time in looking for a backup solution.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I spoke to Samsung UK this weekend and the engineer I spoke to explained that the update should come with the 4.1.2 update, and that it should prevent further damage to the main board although it will not repair any damage that has alreasy been done.

BTW, although I said my phone died after only 30 days, I later discovered that my 3 year old had been playing with the charger and it was only 95% of the way in to the socket, so even though I thought the battery was fully charged it wasn't and when I disconnected and reconnected the charger I wasn't doing anything. So my phone is in fact perfectly ok. Now going to invest some time in looking for a backup solution.

Is there any way for people to be able to check to see if they have had any damage at all, that might not be showing symptoms yet?

banjo67xxx

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Is there any way for people to be able to check to see if they have had any damage at all, that might not be showing symptoms yet?

Although I'm no expert in this subject area, from my understanding of the principles of physics and the many ESD trainings I've had to attend, I'm fairly certain that the damage would not show up in any diagnostic test nor would it be visible to the naked eye. However if you would like to disassemble the main board and study the components with an electron microscope then you will be able to identify if it might have failed early had you not destroyed it already to put it under the microscope.

(I miss reading the destructive analysis reports I used to get from Seagate when I worked for a H/W company)

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Although I'm no expert in this subject area, from my understanding of the principles of physics and the many ESD trainings I've had to attend, I'm fairly certain that the damage would not show up in any diagnostic test nor would it be visible to the naked eye. However if you would like to disassemble the main board and study the components with an electron microscope then you will be able to identify if it might have failed early had you not destroyed it already to put it under the microscope.

(I miss reading the destructive analysis reports I used to get from Seagate when I worked for a H/W company)

Not even close to what I was talking about.... :confused:

zoomaj

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Guys I have registered to report that my phone has experienced sudden death!!
It doesn't turn on or anything! I bought the phone of gumtree, and I don't have a reciept! It is approx 150 days old! I bought the phone in October! What are my options? As I don't have proof of purchase!

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site

Not even close to what I was talking about.... :confused:

Yes it is. You wanted to know if you can detect whether there is already some damage to your motherboard. Banjo is just saying that the only way is for you to disassemble the phone and look at the motherboard under a microscope. That will tell you if there is any damage though at that point the phone will be worthless. Not the solution you were hoping for but answered the question nonetheless.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

Craig Rogers

Banned
Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Mine has yet to fail, but if it does am I screwed on the warranty if it's rooted? I mean with the mother board dead will samsung know I was tinkering with the system? Or will they replace it no problem?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Mine has yet to fail, but if it does am I screwed on the warranty if it's rooted? I mean with the mother board dead will samsung know I was tinkering with the system? Or will they replace it no problem?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
I recently responded to a post where a member had a failed mother board and it was sent in for repair " rooted " and Samsung still was able to confirm it was rooted/unofficial software on the device.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...nty-voided-due-root-8-days-decide-answer.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy