Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts

Default S3 won't play mp4

I am trying to put an HD 720p mp4 on my Galaxy S3, but for some reason windows tells me to convert it or it wont play right. I thought the s3 could play HD mp4 videos, but instead I have to convert it and the quality is lost. If I don't convert it, the phone will simply tell me it can't play it. I can download an app to play it, but I'd like to know if it's possible to keep the HD quality and play through the default video player?

Default Re: S3 won't play mp4

Did you actually copy the file without converting. I get that error a LOT even after converting to Android specs. 99% of my converted movies play perfectly fine.
    My Desktop Connection

Have you tried to play it with the VLC Beta player?

Galaxy S3 - Thanks Appreciated!
    My Podcast-http://bit.ly/WWSXbz
    My Blog-http://bit.ly/SrqMNr

Go ahead and transfer it without converting. I get that message whenever I transfer music or videos to my S3 and my Nexus 7. I just transferred an HD mp4 to my S3 and watched it using the stock video player. Looks great!

Like others have said, ignore the message. It's coming from Windows, which is too stupid to know anything about the software on the device you're sending the file too.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.

Quote Originally Posted by hallmartinez82 View Post
    The fact is Samsung can play most of MP4 files. Several special MP4 videos will not be played as MP4 is a container video format which may encode with a variety of codecs like H.264, MPEG-4, Xivd, DivX, MPEG-4 ASP etc. or with subtitles or multi-channels audio tracks. As MPEG-4 AVC H.264 codec, support is limited to the required specifications. If your MP4 files are using audio and video codec that Samsung Galaxy cannot support or your MP4 files cannot meet the supported specifications of audio and video codec, your Samsung Galaxy phones or tablets will fail to play MP4 files. Even you download different Android video player, they still fails to play.

In order to successfully play MP4 on Samsung Galaxy, a better solution is to convert MP4 to Samsung Galaxy supported MPEG-4 Video with require specifications.

Looks like this would be a great solution here but it isn't free if you are converting 5 minutes or more of video from what I see.

Rock Player has played every file I've thrown at it, on several different phones. Including files that no other player knew what to do with:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...aWVkLmxpdGUiXQ..
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.