GS3 or Note 2

mikekrafick

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
I am due for an upgrade in January coming from a Galaxy Nexus. Its between these two phones (GS3 or Note 2) for me and I wanted to get some thoughts from people that have either or both. Which is better for daily use? Better battery life? Camera? Streaming videos? Any insight would be helpful! I'm sure I'd be happy with either one, just looking for pros and cons. Which is more likely to get OTA updates sooner? I have VZW and they are behind on my GNex updates.

Thanks!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

BMIC50

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Verizon has been the slowest across the GS3 line to get updates, not considering regional carriers. So lets let go of that.

I would go play with both, and consider the Droid DNA as well. I advised my friend to consider the Note and GS3, but he didnt like the size of the Note and wanted something newer than the GS3. The Droid DNA is a nice screen and build quality, and can offer some great features that you may like (wireless charging, 1080p screen, 5" screen). The size will matter and if you are ohk with the Note 2, I would nudge you towards that. The GS3, however, has the most aftermarket support and will be getting the split screen support (dual apps open simultaneously).

I will say that while I have the GS3, I long for the Note 2, as I find value in the stylus. Not everyone does. I also have basketball player sized hands, and the Note 2 doesnt bother me. I see women with the Note 2 and they love it. But either way, you cant go wrong unless you will have buyer's remorse when Samsung announces the GS4 in a month or two.

Woodsy

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I've had both since their respective launch days. For me the second I had a Note 2 in my hands and I was able to watch videos and play with it, it wasn't even a competition. I have never once looked back from this wondrous device.

Sent from the greatest phone in the world, The Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon.

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
The post above me has some valuable points but me, I love the GS3 as the overall better phone because of the reasons that it does a lot, has a lot of features that can make using the phone fun and easy, and the reason that is most important to me... It is still the size of a phone. When phones start getting too big like the note 2,u can't even put it to your ear to receive a call without it feeling awkward. Phone is crisp and smoothly runs through tasks with minimal to no lag. I heard Verizon does take long to send updates out like the other guy said but the reason may be that they don't want their customers to get updates that aren't full of bugs and aren't fine tuned yet. I'm hoping that would be a reason and I'd be ok with that. Have a few friends with the note 2 and what they show me that their phone can do, it's not enough for me to give up my S3. That's just me. You'd be great with either one though. If you love big displays and a faster processor plus that S Pen then Note 2. If you like overall good functionality, great variety of accessories (like above mentioned), and for your phone to actually feel like a phone... S3 is the one. Can't go wrong with either. Good luck

My GS3 sleeps in the bed and I make my girlfriend sleep on the couch

hossman12

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
^^ makaroni is right when he says you can't really go wrong with either. The note2's size is the deciding factor for most people so make sure you go into the store and play around with it to make sure it suits your taste. I also know a few women with it however and they seriously love it. It has newer hardware since it came out more recently than the GS3 and most importantly, in my opinion, better battery little despite its bigger screen.

I'm not gonna lie though I love my GS3 :) its an amazing device with a beautiful screen, 2GB of RAM, and the battery lasts me all day now that I've learned how to seriously tweak my settings. This is a phone that you're going to have to spend some time with, however, to get it to run the way you want it to. Some people complain about the battery because they have their settings all wrong. I get six hours of screen on time pretty much every day. I have no doubt if I lower the brightness I could stretch it to 7hrs but I like keeping the display brightness at 30%.

Other things to think about.. the S3 is yes only dual-core, but with 2GB of RAM the U.S version is gonna be able to handle any and every app on the market. The DNA is a nice phone but its only gonna be discernibly better when it comes to that 1080p display it has, versus the 720p display of the S3. The S3s display is still friggin gorgeous though, so moot point IMO. The S3 also has an awesome camera that's pretty much at the top of the smartphone world right now. If any phone has a better camera its not by much, believe me.
Bottomline is I love my S3 and wouldn't trade it for anything including the Note2 because I want a phone, not a phone-tablet. I feel my phone is the perfect size and the 4.8" display is more than enough :thumbsup:

Sent from my MetroPCS GS3

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
The Note 2 by miles and miles! Simply, the best right now!! I got one for my dad for Christmas because he really wanted it since the first one came out. Played with it ALL DAY yesterday and it just feels and looks better than my GS3. I was pretty envious of his phone to say the least, lol! I asked him if he wanted trade with me but he said no! I'm currently thinking of ways to get it without paying a heavy fine for it.

mikekrafick

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Where can I get that? I am worried about the size of the note 2 so that sounds great! My wife has the note 2 and loves it so far but I use my phone as a phone a lot and can't get used to that tablet up against my ear!

hossman12

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Where can I get that? I am worried about the size of the note 2 so that sounds great! My wife has the note 2 and loves it so far but I use my phone as a phone a lot and can't get used to that tablet up against my ear!

If you're worried about the size of the note.. especially if youve used one and already know what you're getting into, just get the GS3. Deals are awesome right now, theyre friggin everywhere lol. Awesome phone minus the bigger battery and screen of the Note. Almost a 5" screen... def more than enough for me :thumbup:

SoundsGood

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
Guys, I too am torn between these two phones. Since picture and video quality is very important to me, I have 3 questions:

1. Which one takes better quality PICTURES: S3 or Note 2?

2. Which one takes better quality VIDEOS: S3 or Note 2?

3. For those that have owned an iPhone, how do the Galaxy cameras compare to the iPhone in picture and video quality?

Thank you!

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Two things made my decision..the Note 2 is too big for my pocket, then I was able to get my S3 for $29.99 on Black Friday.

That price made my mind up for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

BMIC50

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Guys, I too am torn between these two phones. Since picture and video quality is very important to me, I have 3 questions:

3. For those that have owned an iPhone, how do the Galaxy cameras compare to the iPhone in picture and video quality?

Thank you!

My understanding is that the cameras are the same hardware.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
The only main difference is the size of the phone, so depending on your preference of size, that should be it to make your decision. Other than size, both phones are pretty much the same..though the Note 2 is more powerful because it more of a tablet phone

mikekrafick

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Where is the best place to look for i9305 Samsung GS3? I found one online for $850. Not looking to spend that much. Where is the best site to get this phone? The specs look incredible, exactly what I'm looking for. Why is GS3 still running ICS stock? Has VZW not updated it to JB yet? If not, why? I don't want to go backwards with OS on my upgrade.

Jennings Richmond

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
The only main difference is the size of the phone, so depending on your preference of size, that should be it to make your decision. Other than size, both phones are pretty much the same..though the Note 2 is more powerful because it more of a tablet phone

Saying that the size is the only real difference is ignoring the stylus and its incoporation into the device's use.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk 2

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Where is the best place to look for i9305 Samsung GS3? I found one online for $850. Not looking to spend that much. Where is the best site to get this phone? The specs look incredible, exactly what I'm looking for. Why is GS3 still running ICS stock? Has VZW not updated it to JB yet? If not, why? I don't want to go backwards with OS on my upgrade.

That is a carrier issue, not a phone issue. I thought Verizon has the update out now.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Thank you!

Here is some info about the S3 camera vs the iPhone camera.

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/12/24/iphone-5-v-galaxy-s3-camera-shootout/

hossman12

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Maybe I'm just used to my phone, but the Note2 feels a lot heavier than the S3. I also already have enough of a hard time finding a safe pocket.. im sure you get used to it but you have to be really careful how you carry the note.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for that. Looks like the iPhone wins overall vs the GS3. And from what I'm learning, the Note 2 does even worse in low light. I was really hoping the Galaxy phones would be at least as good as the iPhone, but no go (unfortunately).

That's not quite what the article said...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000